• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2017-18 OBS Thread

Rtd208

Was away in DC for the weekend to visit my brother and go to the sixers game last night but catching up, to me it looks like winter is on life support for at least 95 s and e. Not enough cold air around meaning most of our precip is a cold rain. Going to need to see some changes soon but i am close to throwing in the towel for winter.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Iceman said:

Was away in DC for the weekend to visit my brother and go to the sixers game last night but catching up, to me it looks like winter is on life support for at least 95 s and e. Not enough cold air around meaning most of our precip is a cold rain. Going to need to see some changes soon but i am close to throwing in the towel for winter.

You jinxed them damnit! First loss since the Birds SB victory. They had a nice run....7 in a row I think.

Yeah, I'm practically done with Winter. I see several instances of precip being around but just don't have enough cold. If you're a fan of cold rain/damp then enjoy the next couple weeks...

8 hours ago, The Iceman said:

.... i am close to throwing in the towel for winter.

We need more posts like this from you! Only minutes after you post this the Euro comes in with a MECS/HECS, lol. Well, it will be gone by 0Z anyway, so enjoy, but I'm with you Ice.....this season is just about in the books unless some big time changes happen SOON!

1 minute ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

NAM trending towards wet snow showers here Thurs-Fri as the system occludes off the coast. Will be nice to see some flakes flying and some wind gusts anyway even if we dont see accums. Maybe we can trend towards something later in the March 3-10 period?

It's going to be white rain if it does happen which I find more annoying and frustrating. If it only sticks to the grass/trees only...ok. But when it doesn't stick to anything I don't even want it.

14 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

We need more posts like this from you! Only minutes after you post this the Euro comes in with a MECS/HECS, lol. Well, it will be gone by 0Z anyway, so enjoy, but I'm with you Ice.....this season is just about in the books unless some big time changes happen SOON!

We are very close to the point that barring a dynamic storm, we really can't get significant snow. pattern doesn't look cold. The only way we are going to see a storm is if it is a MECS/HECS and the odds are always, always against them..especially in mid march. The look from maech 1-15th overall doesn't look bad but it just will still require a lot to go right in order for us to score. We don't see abnormally cold air in place so even though we have the blocking and will be on the cold side of a storm most of the time, we just don't have a cold enough airmass for this to matter. In jan, we could overcome this as seasonable is still cool but march it's tough. So we are going to need a bombing low that takes a perfect track in order to score. As some OP runs have shown, it isn't impossible but the odds aren't high either. We maybe see some wet flakes thurs night/fri but this one is mostly rain imo. The march 7-9th deal is intriguing but again I don't see a source of cold air other than the storm dynamically cooling so we better hope for some good luck... all in all I think this pattern will be fun to track as I think we'll continue to see some real doozies in the medium long range on the OP's the next few days but when it comes to scoring, we are going to need some good luck. I hope the March 7-9th deal will at least warrant enough of a threat to start a thread and we'll see if I can conjure up some more magic :lol:;)

-NAO's have a 0.50-0.60 correlation to a really thin strip of water right off the Mid-Atlantic/NJ coast. The land-water friction makes more sense when there is no flow because things are blocky. I think we could have a few bombing tropical wind storms in this pattern. Low will not be able to move out to sea like GFS has because of Atlantic ridge. I think it will either fizzle out or redevelop south 

Should be just enough cold air around for the 2nd event to bring some snow to the area....I can see one of these (#2 or #3) in the series ending up being an elevation driven storm where in the lower spots of Chesco it's 34 with white rain while up a few hundred feet here in East Nantmeal it's 32 and a paste job. Still thinking we see a significant 6" or so storm above 600 feet in N and W burbs over next couple weeks....we shall see

euro is the clear clear outlier and the other models look nothing similar at the surface...that being said, it is in its wheelhouse so it'll be interesting to see if there are any ticks in the euros directions at 18z from the other models...also will be interesting to see the hi res models for the temps. most likely though the euro just corrects itself at 00z. still reading mt hollys disco this morning, they seemed very unsure about whether snow would be put into the forecast eventually...

5 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

euro is the clear clear outlier and the other models look nothing similar at the surface...that being said, it is in its wheelhouse so it'll be interesting to see if there are any ticks in the euros directions at 18z from the other models...also will be interesting to see the hi res models for the temps. most likely though the euro just corrects itself at 00z. still reading mt hollys disco this morning, they seemed very unsure about whether snow would be put into the forecast eventually...

You're right about the euro but it was also the outlier for the 2/17 event, being the the most amped,  but it didn't waver much. Would be neat if we get another EE rule event.

1 minute ago, RedSky said:

Totally mystified at the ECM's solution with that much of a short lead 

it's a major wrench thrown right as I was ready to completely write this one off... but let's say the other models start trending the euro''s way at 18z... with such a strong block incoming, it's hard to say ehh toss it. screw it. I willed the last one, i'm starting a thread to will this one back too :lol:

4 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

it's a major wrench thrown right as I was ready to completely write this one off... but let's say the other models start trending the euro''s way at 18z... with such a strong block incoming, it's hard to say ehh toss it. screw it. I willed the last one, i'm starting a thread to will this one back too :lol:

Here's the thing the wbell map is counting sleet as snow, it's a major IP storm for us like March 2007

Euro and GFS suggest we continue to nickel and dime our snowfalls this season and try and get some spots in SE PA from right around avg seasonal snowfall where we are right now to above avg (slightly). I was thinking we were entering a go big or go home pattern first half of March but guidance suggesting a couple more small events thru mid month with the NAO in negative territory.

23 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Euro and GFS suggest we continue to nickel and dime our snowfalls this season and try and get some spots in SE PA from right around avg seasonal snowfall where we are right now to above avg (slightly). I was thinking we were entering a go big or go home pattern first half of March but guidance suggesting a couple more small events thru mid month with the NAO in negative territory.

I actually could see this... a few 1-3 2-4" on the grass storms then maybe a big one before the pattern changes. Would really fit with this winter if we get 2 more 1-3" type deals and call it a winter. Most areas would be at around average with really no one seeing over 6 inches in a singles storm outside localized areas. Pretty impressive honestly.

I actually could see this... a few 1-3 2-4" on the grass storms then maybe a big one before the pattern changes. Would really fit with this winter if we get 2 more 1-3" type deals and call it a winter. Most areas would be at around average with really no one seeing over 6 inches in a singles storm outside localized areas. Pretty impressive honestly.
And not a single WSWarning event for extreme SE PA possibly. Unreal.

GFS wants no part of this Friday's system but continues to want to pound our region with snow in the long range (next chance in about 1 week). Neg NAO should produce *something* for us over the next 2 weeks. I would actually be very surprised if we are completely shutout before the 3rd week of March.

10 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

GFS wants no part of this Friday's system but continues to want to pound our region with snow in the long range (next chance in about 1 week). Neg NAO should produce *something* for us over the next 2 weeks. I would actually be very surprised if we are completely shutout before the 3rd week of March.

Read the GFS was improved. Wouldn't be surprised if it caught up late on a system like this. That said, I do think the better potential for a big snow is later in March. Should have a few threats before spring takes over.

Archived