Winter 2017-18 Medium/Long Range Disco

Hoosier

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Jonger said:

Is that the second wave?

Yes

Models have been showing some relative consistency with it lately, so hopefully something happens somewhere and it isn't one of those mirages.  

A surface low that makes it to Alabama usually isn't good for areas where I am and farther west, unless the wave quickly takes on a negative tilt.  Therefore, would currently favor areas to my east having a better shot at something significant, but still tantalizing enough to keep me watching lol

28 minutes ago, Jonger said:

I'm happy to see that the UP does a lot better over the entire run for preserving and adding to snow depths.

I have a good foot and a half of snow depth here with several more inches coming tonight. I would be shocked if I lost it all after this week...but lake effect goes fast...but it is a couple feet of dense lake effect compacted. It was HEAVY when I shoveled my roof off last week. So, we shall see....

GFS does look cooler in the long range and doesn't take me above 40 at all. At the very end, though, it shows 3 INCHES of rain with temps in the mid 30s...lol. Yes, I know that will change... hopefully? :P

4 hours ago, IWXwx said:

Buffaloweather wants to lock in the GFS for a synoptic dump.

Actually, the GEFS and EPS ensemble means are in amazing agreement with the low placement for six days out.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_24.png

I'm highly skeptical of that low placement. 20 years living on the east coast, I very seldom recall seeing a low rising along the ridge of the Apps actually verifying. Gives me hope that the secondary will shift west with time.

1 minute ago, mimillman said:

I'm highly skeptical of that low placement. 20 years living on the east coast, I very seldom recall seeing a low rising along the ridge of the Apps actually verifying. Gives me hope that the secondary will shift west with time.

That was a pretty common track during the 1990s. 

3 minutes ago, mimillman said:

Happened in March of ‘08.

11 minutes ago, Guest said:

It will end up over Toledo.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

I could see that.  Then again trends west and stronger have been a rarity in the modelling.   Could also see this morph into multi-piece waves riding a front further east.

On top of all that we have the first low cutting up into the mw on Thursday.  I'm sure how that plays out will have a big effect too.   IOW,  maybe we'll know by the end of the week the what and ifs.  

8 minutes ago, mimillman said:

Reel er' in

Still a little nervous about letting it get to the lat/lon of Alabama.  That could work for us but there's no margin for error with the handling of the trough at that point... gotta quickly go negative tilt or else it's easy for it to escape east of where we'd like.

Just now, Hoosier said:

Still a little nervous about letting it get to the lat/lon of Alabama.  That could work for us but there's no margin for error with the handling of the trough at that point... gotta quickly go negative tilt or else it's easy for it to escape east of where we'd like.

Yep see above for similar commentary. Euro still is a bit notorious for wrapping up systems too strongly in this forecast range as well.

1 minute ago, buckeye said:

Lol, it would figure that the first west and stronger trend in a storm we've seen in two seasons finally happens on a storm originally modelled on a perfect track to our east. 

That was actually east of the 0z Euro run. 0z tracked through the NW corner of OH.

Archived