Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2017-18 Medium/Long Range Disco

Hoosier

Just now, Jonger said:

There is very little economic opportunities north of us. On the otherhand, most economic growth is in the sun belt.

It's an easy move to go south, north.... not so much.

People aren't just going to up and move, so you can stop with that idiotic commentary. You do it often enough that it is getting annoying.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Stebo said:

People aren't just going to up and move, so you can stop with that idiotic commentary. You do it often enough that it is getting annoying.

People move over weather all the time.

I know two different families that did just that recently.

14 minutes ago, Jonger said:

If you can figure out how to move my 4000 acres of farm land somewhere that it doesn't get cold let me know.  I'll move in a heartbeat.  Your statement about economics is stupid.  There is no way I'm going to make the money I make here doing anything down south. 

21 minutes ago, Jonger said:

Good for them, it also isn't something that everyone can do. But of course since you know someone to have done it, you assume everyone can. Your anecdotes are tiresome.

51 minutes ago, IMADreamer said:

If you can figure out how to move my 4000 acres of farm land somewhere that it doesn't get cold let me know.  I'll move in a heartbeat.  Your statement about economics is stupid.  There is no way I'm going to make the money I make here doing anything down south. 

Your situation isn't common. Most people live where they are due to proximity to large population and the economic activity that comes with it. 

The vast majority of the US populace lives in a place that received LESS snow that Detroit.

I put a box around everywhere I can think of as an upgrade over SE Michigan for snow. None of these areas have large metropolitan areas, the closest being Denver metro and possibly Seattle. 

map.jpg.7c33a49dc31fc70745a361313d619cba.jpg

On the flip side, you have many options.

56 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Good for them, it also isn't something that everyone can do. But of course since you know someone to have done it, you assume everyone can. Your anecdotes are tiresome.

Most people stay where they are do to family. 

1 minute ago, Jonger said:

Yet you are the same guy that goes off the rails when I mention hot weather.

Everyone mocks you when you complain about weather warmer than 75. You should realize by now how ridiculous you look around here and just stop already.

3 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Everyone mocks you when you complain about weather warmer than 75. You should realize by now how ridiculous you look around here and just stop already.

Everyone does. LOL

And 75 isn't my comfort cutoff.... more like 85.

14 minutes ago, Baum said:

Congrats you guys turned this thread into a "hot topic"....that's a damn rare thing these days. I thought there was something brewing........but not.

You know its a crap winter when you see a hot non-banter thread, hoping for some new storm discussions, only to see two fellas chirping about geographic location. :lol:

6 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Maue has free Euro weeklies here

http://wx.graphics/models/eps/eps.php

Wonder how long that will last, I can't imagine it lasting too long to be honest.

That said, I like the look of the entire run, after the thaw, it looks like we end up right on the dividing line with the storm track through the region.

1 minute ago, Stebo said:

Wonder how long that will last, I can't imagine it lasting too long to be honest.

The torch or the weeklies?  :lol:. But yeah, enjoy while we can.

As far as the weeklies, the period around 10-25 days looks the worst on that run with signs of change beyond that. 

Just now, Hoosier said:

The torch or the weeklies?  :lol:. But yeah, enjoy while we can.

As far as the weeklies, the period around 10-25 days looks the worst on that run with signs of change beyond that. 

Sometimes warm patterns arent all bad though, sometimes they can come with increased storminess. Of course the storms are still usually warm cutters, but especially in January, there's usually enough cold air for something on the N/NW side.

3 minutes ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

Sometimes warm patterns arent all bad though, sometimes they can come with increased storminess. Of course the storms are still usually warm cutters, but especially in January, there's usually enough cold air for something on the N/NW side.

Yeah that's true.  You can't rule out snow somewhere in that stretch, especially in the northern tier where it's easier to get away with above average temps.

55 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

The end of the 12z Euro ensembles today were showing weak positive height anomalies going back to the Aleutians. Perhaps a sign the warm up won't be too lengthy, especially if that starts to show up on subsequent runs.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

If a typical nina shows up, plenty of storms should start to rear their heads. I ran the numbers because I know how Chicago has been getting the short end of the stick, and it's crazy. Since January 1, 2017, Detroit has outsnowed Chicago 44.0" to 13.9". I wouldnt be surprised to see a storm at some point this winter that cuts and gives you lots of snow and us rain. In fact i kind of ecpect it. I remember a few such storms but its been a while. Mother nature has to make up some ground at some point. 

Archived