Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, NEGa said:

just rain and a little breezy here so far - even though we are under a high wind warning.  I see some of the forecasted winds here, but since the storm kept shifting to the west I will be surprised if they reach that high here.  as a side note, the northeast wind has been noticeable - so where is the wind with a good cad and moisture moving in when we need it in the winter lol

I'm glad you showed up because i'm fascinated to see how the winds behave being close to the mountains and at your elevation. I have little doubt you will get high winds...nam has winds at 950mb of 40 to 45 knots at 950mb with winds at 925mb around 60 knots at your location. Rap is even higher...50 knots and 65 knots respectively by this afternoon. 

Winds here are sustained around 20 to 25mph with gusts now getting above 40...top one so far has been 46. Power outages are starting to show up around my area and i feel like it will be a small miracle if they don't out at some point. 

1 minute ago, LithiaWx said:

Seems like a potential bust so far.  I've had summertime storms deliver more than this.  Hopefully the NWS is right and this. S start to pickup late this afternoon 

These winds are literally roaring for me atm. Trees shaking everywhere...not sure why my area seems to be getting the strong winds.

9 minutes ago, LovingGulfLows said:

These winds are literally roaring for me atm. Trees shaking everywhere...not sure why my area seems to be getting the strong winds.

yeah.....they are bending like crazy here. a bit nerve racking considering the worst won't arrive until after 18z.  

It isn't just your area. You can get a good handle on where the higher winds are here. Interesting how wind gusts  are well into the 30s already in the upstate. btw, you can adjust the density/number of reporting stations on the left.....i have it on 2 here. hartsfield has had a gust to 40, (sustained at 31) and athens had a 43mph gust last hour. 

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/map/?&zoom=8&scroll_zoom=true&center=34.016241889667015,-84.1607666015625&basemap=ESRI Imagery&boundaries=false,true,false&hazard=true&hazard_type=severe&hazard_opacity=60&obs=true&obs_type=gustcur&obs_popup=false&obs_density=2

9 minutes ago, Lookout said:

I'm glad you showed up because i'm fascinated to see how the winds behave being close to the mountains and at your elevation. I have little doubt you will get high winds...nam has winds at 950mb of 40 to 45 knots at 950mb with winds at 925mb around 60 knots at your location. Rap is even higher...50 knots and 65 knots respectively by this afternoon. 

Winds here are sustained around 20 to 25mph with gusts now getting above 40...top one so far has been 46. Power outages are starting to show up around my area and i feel like it will be a small miracle if they don't out at some point. 

yeah I am around lol.  been sort of watching but honestly after the last few years I have decided the models are still just not reliable out past a couple of days.  so I follow them generally but also realize that what is shown a couple of days away will probably not materialize.  it looks a little breezier out today - but so far nothing out of the ordinary.  it will be interesting to follow this afternoon for sure.

I guess it seems the winds haven't reached the western and northwestern parts of the Atlanta metro yet. Kind of crazy how some are just experieicng breezy conditions and here I am worried about if some of these trees are going to stay up lol.

The RAP does seem to want to focus the biggest winds on the eastern parts of the state as the COC moves to the southwest.

namconus_mslp_wind_seus_8.png

It's getting windier and rainier here. Numerous pine twigs (brush + 1-2' of stick) and branches up to 3" diameter are down. Power outages are spotty all over the area. Much less than if Matthew didn't come here last year though. Storm surge at this point is about what last year's peak was and high tide is still another hour away.

We are also under a flood warning and a very heavy rain band just moved in. The cloud deck is really moving, just like last year.

40 minutes ago, LithiaWx said:

Seems like a potential bust so far.  I've had summertime storms deliver more than this.  Hopefully the NWS is right and this. S start to pickup late this afternoon 

A closer inspection of the mean wind flow shows boundary layer winds have enough northerly component to the west and northwest of atlanta that the mountains will provide some protection and as a result, winds are likely to be much lower west and northwest of atlanta. Note the sharp drop off in top wind gusts below also. Indeed, you can clearly see it on observations already. 

us_model-en-087-0_modusa_2017091112_7_508_227.png

us_model-en-087-0_modusa_2017091112_11_508_377.png

2 minutes ago, Lookout said:

A closer inspection of the mean wind flow shows boundary layer winds have enough northerly component to the west and northwest of atlanta that the mountains will provide some protection and as a result, winds are likely to be much lower west and northwest of atlanta. Note the sharp drop off in top wind gusts below also. Indeed, you can clearly see it on observations already. 

us_model-en-087-0_modusa_2017091112_7_508_227.png

us_model-en-087-0_modusa_2017091112_11_508_377.png

So wait for it is what you're saying?

1 minute ago, LithiaWx said:

So wait for it is what you're saying?

Yeah, you seem to be right on the line between modest gusts and the higher ones. The areas i mentioned above remained protected though out and by the time they shift east they will be modest. 

I suffer the same thing in winter during certain winter storms where the low level cold air advection is blocked here by the mountains and i get screwed while areas just to the west do fine. 

3 minutes ago, Lookout said:

Yeah, you seem to be right on the line between modest gusts and the higher ones. The areas i mentioned above remained protected though out and by the time they shift east they will be modest. 

I suffer the same thing in winter during certain winter storms where the low level cold air advection is blocked here by the mountains and i get screwed while areas just to the west do fine. 

Right in cue the winds are becoming more steady.  We will see 

13 minutes ago, Shack said:

Here in Macon, the airport (MCN) just reported a 60mph gust.

Nice whitecaps here on Lake Tobesofkee. Seas at 1-3ft.

I'm at Mercer in Macon. Really was whipping there for a minute. I totally believe some of the gusts probably made it up to 60. Wild! 

Not sold on getting anywhere close to the predicted 6" of rain. Seems to be moving quickly. 

5 minutes ago, Ser Pounce said:

Tornado warning just dropped for our immediate area. Rotation was spotted on radar in the Ft Sumter area moving NW. We live a mile or two to the NW so, be back later.

kids live on James Island...just south east of the fort..said it is nutz right now....poosible tornado at folly beach??

Just now, Shack said:

annnndddd.......there went the power. 

considering they won't even send crews out in weather like this until it calms down, prepare to go without it for quite a while. Lights flickering here...winds more and more gusting well into the 40s...top so far 49 mph.  Hartsfield just had a 51 mph gust 

closing on a half million per georgia power. power outages scattered all over now around here. 

15 minutes ago, Chubbiegull said:

kids live on James Island...just south east of the fort..said it is nutz right now....poosible tornado at folly beach??

This has been running just north of highway 17, that's about 7 miles from their area but they've been getting some pretty good gusts from being right on the ocean. Rotation went about 3/4 of a mile south of us and has passed our area now.

Power outage reports starting to hit in the metro Atlanta area especially on the south and east side.  I saw where they recorded a gust in downtown ATL at 51 and one in Macon at 56.

Noted on the velocity radar, much more to come between now and 7-8PM.  

Power has been flickering some this morning,  but not a lot in the last hour here in Dacula.  Friends in Grayson and Lawrenceville reporting power outages.

1 minute ago, Lookout said:

i have to say this....after ffc had been better compared to recent years  since irma has been in the picture they have been  back to having down right pathetic discussions...and of course no updates today so far either.  pathetic. 

No worries! Glenn Burns is all over it! (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Archived