Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall 2017 Banter Thread

WeatherFeen2000

7 minutes ago, uncle W said:

it usually is boring this time of year...if the blocking materializes as forecast chances go up if you like cold and snow...if it's boring around Dec. 20th I'll start complaining too...

Of course, you're right. I am glad that November was more autumnal this year. I like the brisk temps; they're good for walking.

But boring weather leads to bickering in the main threads. We need something. STAT

Once BN period starts near the Dec. 10th., it lasts till the New Year, when AN or just Normal temps. return---------probably muted by a hopefully large, thick snow blanket by that time.

I have not seen the 'Next 45' this cold>>>>>6BN in recent memory.  I hope this is not a CFS headfake.

Also since next 2 weeks look to be +5, the period after the 10th. would need to be 11BN to finish 6BN!.  FANTASY TERRITORY 

Technically speaking, today was the first day of Climatological Winter and so a new winter banter forum should be started.

It runs from Nov. 27 to Mar. 24 and represents the bottom quartile of daily mean temperatures which indicates the range should be all days with a mean T between 43-31 degrees.  The bottom of the NYC winter comes in and around Jan. 24.

On 11/24/2017 at 10:29 AM, CIK62 said:

EURO WEEKLIES [11/23] have record cold near Christmas, then flip by 50 degrees !!!  for NYD.

GFS slowly rotates the Polar Vortex to the east (from over Asia) and seems to want to get it here (over Hudson Bay) by mid-Dec.

Go to Instant Weather Maps to see this.   Image will not link.

That sounds about normal for us lol.  It's a common pattern for us during our non- el nino winters to have extreme cold sometime between Christmas and the first few days of the New Year and then flip to milder weather after the first week of January.  What really decides winter is what happens after the thaw- in 95-96 it went back to cold and snowy later in January and after that- which was what made that winter great.

On 11/25/2017 at 1:41 AM, Dakota said:

This winter from the late 1950's had some unusual snow totals; not the least of which was the nearly 14 inch discrepancy between Central Park and Newark Airport; which tells Me measurement problems at the Park are not a contemporary phenomenon.  I'm not sure if there was actually someone at the Belvedere Castle to put the ruler in the snow or they just did it at the weather office; which was at the Whithall Building (on the southern tip of Manhattan Island) before moving to 30 Rock in 1960.  I know for a fact that the mets did not go to the park on 7 February 1978 but just took the measurement at Rockefeller Center because there was too much snow to muddle through.  After they moved to Upton in the 1990's; someone obviously had to be hired to take the measurements at the now unmanned NYC station.  There were major snowstorms on 2/16/1958 & 3/19/1958.

Seasonal Snowfall 1957-58

Westhampton Beach: 72.5"

Babylon, LI NWS Co-op: 66.6"

Upton / BNL: 61.1"

Newark: 58.3"

LaGuardia: 51.5"

Bridgeport: 49.0"

Central Park: 44.7"

Interesting that March was the snowiest month in the 50s.

32 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

Technically speaking, today was the first day of Climatological Winter and so a new winter banter forum should be started.

It runs from Nov. 27 to Mar. 24 and represents the bottom quartile of daily mean temperatures which indicates the range should be all days with a mean T between 43-31 degrees.  The bottom of the NYC winter comes in and around Jan. 24.

That doesn't sound right- the period you referenced isn't a quartile because it covers a four not three month period.

Going by those climo standards, winter should be from the end of the first week of December to the end of the first week of March.

With the amount of uber hype circulating around social media about mid-December becoming epically cold and snowy, if it fails, I honestly believe there will be mental breakdowns and suicide attempts if it’s not at least -10F below normal with 40+ inches of snow between December 15th - January 1st....

3 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

With the amount of uber hype circulating around social media about mid-December becoming epically cold and snowy, if it fails, I honestly believe there will be mental breakdowns and suicide attempts if it’s not at least -10F below normal with 40+ inches of snow between December 15th - January 1st....

I bet you feel the same way when progged torches are just slightly above normal or less

3 hours ago, Paragon said:

That doesn't sound right- the period you referenced isn't a quartile because it covers a four not three month period.

Going by those climo standards, winter should be from the end of the first week of December to the end of the first week of March.

This a statistical term.  It is the four ranges that have the same span, 12 degs., and thus the name quartile.  The usefulness of the CW is that it is different at every location.   The MidWest has a shorter bottom quartile, even though it is 10-20 degrees colder there.

Just take the difference between the highest and lowest means and divided by it 4 (four seasons) and take that number and subtract from the summer high mean and add it to the coldest mean to get climo season ranges.  Then use the weather almanac to see which dates fall within each range.

6 hours ago, snowman19 said:

No not really. I’m a weather fan period. All weather; warm, cold, snow, rain, wind, dry. I’m not just a cold and snow fan only, unlike some others ;-)

But you don't seem to like hot summers, and I love those, because I'm a big numbers guy and I enjoy watching the temps reach for 100, the same way I enjoy watching a 20 inch snowstorm lol.  I love temperature extremes (both hot and cold) and precipitation extremes (rain, snow and even ice) and wind extremes.

I was going to start a topic on this earlier, but I didn't know if anyone had the right answer for this- but where in the country is the best place to be to experience 20 inch snowstorms in the winter and 100 degree heat in the summer?

13 minutes ago, Paragon said:

But you don't seem to like hot summers, and I love those, because I'm a big numbers guy and I enjoy watching the temps reach for 100, the same way I enjoy watching a 20 inch snowstorm lol.  I love temperature extremes (both hot and cold) and precipitation extremes (rain, snow and even ice) and wind extremes.

I was going to start a topic on this earlier, but I didn't know if anyone had the right answer for this- but where in the country is the best place to be to experience 20 inch snowstorms in the winter and 100 degree heat in the summer?

Right where pam lives i think one of the Dakotas was voted worse weather in the US.

• Like 1

Just now, Dan76 said:

Right where pam lives i think one of the Dakotas was voted worse weather in the US.

Oh the place with the most weather extremes?

You couldn't pay me a billion dollars to live in SD because of the fracking that occurs there.

That whole region is an earthquake waiting to happen.

• Rjay unpinned this topic