Newest Member
    joxey
4/6 Strong April Storm Discussion & Observations

bluewave

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I am really happy to have that new station in Wantagh. It's the first professional quality station right along the South Shore of Nassau. It's in a slightly open elevated location down near the bay so it will be a great site for measuring the max winds in this area.

True, although Republic Airport is pretty much on the Nassau/Suffolk border and right along the Southern State Parkway, so its a decent station for you guys as well. 

Northern Suffolk really has a dearth of solid reporting stations. ISP/FRG/FOK are all too far south. There are no ASOS stations north of the LIE east of LGA.

14 minutes ago, psv88 said:

True, although Republic Airport is pretty much on the Nassau/Suffolk border and right along the Southern State Parkway, so its a decent station for you guys as well. 

Northern Suffolk really has a dearth of solid reporting stations. ISP/FRG/FOK are all too far south. There are no ASOS stations north of the LIE east of LGA.

We never had a professional quality station south of Merrick road before to sample the strongest winds that occur along the South Shore. We had to rely on sporadic reports from the coast guard and wunderground stations which were spotty at best. 

12 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Mesonet in Southold:

http://www.nysmesonet.org/mesonow#?stid=SOUT

14 minutes ago, psv88 said:

It is picking up on those convective showers currently developing south of LI and moving due north. 

we're getting into some of that action now...squally type showers.   Not sure what gets us later-the stuff offshore is going to mostly miss...precip in PA is moving north or even a bit NNW....guess some more action develops as the low gets deeper....

6 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

we're getting into some of that action now...squally type showers.   Not sure what gets us later-the stuff offshore is going to mostly miss...precip in PA is moving north or even a bit NNW....guess some more action develops as the low gets deeper....

while impressive on radar, those showers arent dropping that much rain, only 0.06 additional so far after a few squalls moved through

46 minutes ago, bluewave said:

We never had a professional quality station south of Merrick road before to sample the strongest winds that occur along the South Shore. We had to rely on sporadic reports from the coast guard and wunderground stations which were spotty at best. 

You know I'm excited about it. It's about a mile from my house. It will represent sea breeze info and Ambrose jet events well. This area gets some intense afternoon wind events during the early warm season. 

The fact that it's gusting to 40 now is a great sign. I wouldn't have throught we were gusting much above 35. 

until 1953 March and April did not have many years with a combined total of 12" of rainfall for the two months...1953 had near 14" for the two months...1980 had over 18" and 1983 over 24"...2007 had 18"...after today NYC could have 8-9" with over three weeks left in the month...12" is a possibility if this wet pattern keeps up...

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

GFS has the instability briefly working down to the surface over Long Island later this afternoon. That's probably when the strongest winds and heaviest rains will occur.

700-500 lapse rate:        7.00 C/km
ThetaE index:             10.47 C Layer  850.0- 550.0 mb
Conv cond level (CCL):   991.01 mb =     9.34 m =    30.65 ft
  Mean mixing ratio:      10.18 g/kg
  Conv temperature:       14.01 C =   57.21 F
Cap Strength:              2.10 C
Lifted Index:             -0.39 C Risk: Thunderstorms probable
Lifted Index @300 mb:      3.79 C
Lifted Index @700 mb:      1.25 C
Showalter Index:          -1.50 C Risk: Thunderstorms probable
Total Totals Index:       52.97 C Risk: Scattered heavy thunderstorms

The radar is exploding now over DC and just East with Severe warnings starting to pop up. I think that's the beginning of our squall line.

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

The radar is exploding now over DC and just East with Severe warnings starting to pop up. I think that's the beginning of our squall line.

need to see some action develop further east-that action is moving North and will hit eastern PA....

3 minutes ago, weatherfreeeeak said:

Anyone know about tomorrow weather? I have a lot of outdoor events between 12-7pm that won't be able to work out in the rain, but some models have no rain and some have it being light rain? Any takers and should I cancel

Light rain is a good bet, even the GFS has it.

Archived