Welcome to American Weather
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dryslot

NNE Spring Thread

418 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:


Wow, weren't they way behind? Looks like we'll end with nearly double our average this season. Bet it's a long time before that happens again. I actually liked 2014-15 better for retention.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
 

And 60 miles to your NW, I much prefer this year's retention to 14-15 - more days with 20+ and 30+ plus several 40+ (14-15 peaked at 31".)  SDDs are already ahead of 14-15 total and we will likely add another 200 or so.  Snowfall is 3rd most of 19 winters - need 15" more for 2nd, 20 for 1st, very very doubtful for either.  SDDs are 4th highest, with an outside shot at #2 - the 3,835 in 07-08 is tops by a whisker less than 1,000. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14ish"  is going to be the storm total.  This is just sticking a yard stick in the snow.  I didn't clear an area every 6 hours or it would have probably been more.  I drove down to lake level and it looks like a few inches less down there.  It was 29.5 to 31F for the whole event until midday today.   Still snowing 33.5F and 1 mile type intensity  but it's really not accumulating with the bright skies.   Although I don't keep great records I know this is the biggest storm in a few years for me.   Brings my seasonal total to 105" plus or minus 5"

Just looked at the models quickly.  So much more QPF this week.  Close to elevation snows for me and especially the Whites and northeastward.  No drought concerns for sure.  Dirt roads are going to be mudpits!

 

Prius snow.jpg

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

14ish"  is going to be the storm total.  This is just sticking a yard stick in the snow.  I didn't clear an area every 6 hours or it would have probably been more.  I drove down to lake level and it looks like a few inches less down there.  It was 29.5 to 31F for the whole event until midday today.   Still snowing 33.5F and 1 mile type intensity  but it's really not accumulating with the bright skies.   Although I don't keep great records I know this is the biggest storm in a few years for me.   Brings my seasonal total to 105" plus or minus 5"

Just looked at the models quickly.  So much more QPF this week.  Close to elevation snows for me and especially the Whites and northeastward.  No drought concerns for sure.  Dirt roads are going to be mudpits!

 

Prius snow.jpg

Wow nice hit!

Drone footage at Mt. Philo in the Champlain Valley:

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13.2 was my final total. Some drizzle mixed in with snow showers this afternoon.  This takes me up to about 105" on the season.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Event totals: 7.8” Snow/0.85” L.E.

 

The totals above should be just about it for Winter Storm Theseus at our location barring any backside snows – there is a bit in the forecast for tonight, so we’ll have to watch for that.  The storm brought March snowfall here to 58.7”, which is a decent total for even the midwinter months.  It also pushed season snowfall past the 180” mark, and I saw PF note that it pushed Stowe’s season past 360”, so we’re running in lock-step at 50% of his 3,000’ total as is often the case.

 

Details from the 1:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

 

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.05 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 6.0

Snow Density: 16.7% H2O

Temperature: 36.0 F

Sky: Light Snow/Rain

Snow at the stake: 10.5 inches

 

Naturally with the new snow we headed up to Bolton for a morning session in the powder, and the turns were fantastic.  Temperatures edged above freezing down in the valley, but the freezing line really stayed below 1,500’ this morning from what we saw, so that really kept surfaces wintry at all elevations at the resort.  The snow was certainly less dense the higher you went, but it wasn’t until probably below 1,800’ that the quality of the powder skiing started to fall off a bit.  So really that’s just last few hundred feet of vertical at Timberline, and everything at the main mountain was well above that.  It snowed all morning to keep the wintry appeal going and keep things fresh.  The flakes were small so additional accumulations weren’t too hefty, but it was definitely coming down at times – we had to pull out the lens hoods for some shots because of the intensity of the snow.  The resort’s got their 48-hour total at 9 inches for the higher elevations, and I’d say 9 to 10 was where we found things topping out with the addition of this morning’s snow.  Anyway, it was a great way to start off this month’s skiing, and of course another perk of the day was the fact that we’re in April, and visitation at the resorts really starts to fall off.  There were certainly visitors, but there were still a number of trails with just a few tracks on them when we were leaving around midday, so folks who were out really got treated to one of those kind of powder days.  I’ve added a few shots from the day below:

 

01APR17F.jpg

 

01APR17H.jpg

 

01APR17B.jpg

 

01APR17D.jpg

 

01APR17A.jpg

 

01APR17E.jpg

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6.5" here. Was a bit of a pain to shovel. I hemmed and hawed about getting the snowblower out and in the end went with the shovel. Quite the workout. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2017 at 2:13 PM, dendrite said:

Looks like spring cancel for a couple of weeks. Hopefully it flips like a rubber band. I like my above normal temps in May and June. If we're going to be cool in the warm season we may as well save the warm season cP airmasses for July and August.

7.5" total here, Going to let the sun do the dirty work, Will wait to see whats left after tomorrow to clean up as we get ready for more snow Tuesday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dryslot said:

7.5" total here, Going to let the sun do the dirty work, Will wait to see whats left after tomorrow to clean up as we get ready for more snow Tuesday.

Interesting NAM run, close to getting Dendrite in the game 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Interesting NAM run, close to getting Dendrite in the game 

Looked like 6-10" here on that run depending on ratios, A little colder then 06z.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dryslot said:

7.5" total here, Going to let the sun do the dirty work, Will wait to see whats left after tomorrow to clean up as we get ready for more snow Tuesday.

I thought it's raining to Montreal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dryslot said:

Doesn't want to quit just yet....

I'm going to be tweaking that tonight. I don't love the weird breaks and lines in that map. It does look worse internally though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Models do all seem to be pretty cool for the interior. They all struggle to get GYX above freezing aloft for more than an hour here and there. But it's close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Models do all seem to be pretty cool for the interior. They all struggle to get GYX above freezing aloft for more than an hour here and there. But it's close.


To be fair and just not bash the GFS, The others models have seem to be cooling a tic or two the last couple runs so it's probably real on the GFS, But it's quite marginal over all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dryslot said:


To be fair and just not bash the GFS, The others models have seem to be cooling a tic or two the last couple runs so it's probably real on the GFS, But it's quite marginal over all.

They all looked similar enough aloft that there is no reason to rule one out over the others besides preference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heh...

 

000
FXUS61 KBTV 022303
AFDBTV

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Burlington VT
703 PM EDT Sun Apr 2 2017

.

.

 

.SHORT TERM /MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT/...
As of 309 PM EDT Sunday...Very active period of weather anticipated
with several concerns...that include winter precip...hydro
issues...and downsloping winds. As an individual who can never
have enough snow and cold lets start with the good news...models
continue to trend colder with system and now support some wet
snowfall for the mountains of central/eastern and northern VT on
Tuesday above 2000 feet.

Surface low pres will quickly track across the central Great Lakes
by 12z Tuesday...while secondary low pres develop over the Mid
Atlantic States by 18z Tues...helping to create a cold air damming
signature in the pres fields over central/eastern VT...as high pres
is located over northern ME. The combination of a se upslope
component of 925mb to 850mb winds of 45 to 55 knots and
evaporational cooling as the precip arrives will cool the column
just enough to support accumulating wet snow on the southeast
upslope side of the greens from Ludlow to Rochester to Mt Allen to
Mansfield to Jay on Tues. Interesting to watch as precip arrives
925mb to 850mb thermal profiles cool <0C...supporting this
thinking...especially above 1800 feet. This system has even less
cold air to work with so areal coverage of accumulating snowfall
will basically be confined to above 2000 feet with several inches
likely. Meanwhile...a pocket of freezing rain is possible in
midslope locations with 925mb temps near -3C and warm layer around 5
kft of +3C during the heavier precip rates midday Tues. Interesting
have noted the latest 4km WRF keeps frozen precip in the VT mtns for
the entire event now...with snow changing to a mix of freezing
rain/sleet above 2500 feet. Will be interesting to see what the
picnic tables receive on Mansfield.

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Winter Storm Theseus wrapped up at this point, I checked the Vermont ski areas to get an idea of the storm totals they’re reporting.  The north to south listing is below.  It looks like the number were generally 10-18” along the spine, with some of the higher numbers in the central to south-central part of the state.

 

Jay Peak: 14”

Smuggler’s Notch: 10”

Stowe: 10”

Bolton Valley: 11”

Mad River Glen: 14”

Sugarbush: 18”

Pico: 14”

Killington: 14”

Okemo: 16”

Bromley: 14”

Magic Mountain: 14”

Stratton: 11”

Mount Snow: 10”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was checking my weather data and noticed that the current season just snuck past 2008-2009 with regard to total snowfall at our site.  That’s noteworthy because I consider 2008-2009 one of the “big three” seasons we’ve had here for snowfall in the period I’ve been recording, so this one now takes over 3rd place and becomes part of that group.  Coincidentally, this storm has also moved into a tie for 3rd place with respect to the number of accumulating storms at 53.  2016-2017 doesn’t quite seem to have the solid tenor of those other prominent snowfall seasons because of its multiple stretches of poor winter weather (January, parts of December/February), but still, it had to be doing something right to get up there with the snowiest winters of the past decade or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J.Spin said:

I was checking my weather data and noticed that the current season just snuck past 2008-2009 with regard to total snowfall at our site.  That’s noteworthy because I consider 2008-2009 one of the “big three” seasons we’ve had here for snowfall in the period I’ve been recording, so this one now takes over 3rd place and becomes part of that group.  Coincidentally, this storm has also moved into a tie for 3rd place with respect to the number of accumulating storms at 53.  2016-2017 doesn’t quite seem to have the solid tenor of those other prominent snowfall seasons because of its multiple stretches of poor winter weather (January, parts of December/February), but still, it had to be doing something right to get up there with the snowiest winters of the past decade or so.

It was a wild ride to be sure! Definitely consistency was not the rule of this winter despite amazing snow totals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fring town!   I have about 500 feet of dirt road frontage.  Snowbanks along our road are really high.  So the town plow just came by with those extender bladess to push the snowbanks back (I guess thinking there will be more heavy wet snow)/  The extenders were right at ground level. So as they came by they dug up about 2 feet of my entire lawn. It can all be graded and reseeded but they could have just left it be!  A few more possible  inches tomorrow that will melt right off would not have hurt.  Now lets see them try to plow the mud pit road tomorrow.   Our town highway department listens to accu weather.   I have told him to always call me instead but he never does. He wants his source to be  "offical".  I see lots of wasted time in sand and salt and plowing.  Sometimes they were sand 20 miles of town roads when it's clear to me that the ground is not frozen and that we will go above freezing in short order.  Okay enough of my rant for today....I'll tune into accuweather to see what's going to happen on my 1100 foot hill...

50F with sun piercing melting going on.  Still no bare spots on SW slopes yet....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Fring town!   I have about 500 feet of dirt road frontage.  Snowbanks along our road are really high.  So the town plow just came by with those extender bladess to push the snowbanks back (I guess thinking there will be more heavy wet snow)/  The extenders were right at ground level. So as they came by they dug up about 2 feet of my entire lawn. It can all be graded and reseeded but they could have just left it be!  A few more possible  inches tomorrow that will melt right off would not have hurt.  Now lets see them try to plow the mud pit road tomorrow.   Our town highway department listens to accu weather.   I have told him to always call me instead but he never does. He wants his source to be  "offical".  I see lots of wasted time in sand and salt and plowing.  Sometimes they were sand 20 miles of town roads when it's clear to me that the ground is not frozen and that we will go above freezing in short order.  Okay enough of my rant for today....I'll tune into accuweather to see what's going to happen on my 1100 foot hill...

50F with sun piercing melting going on.  Still no bare spots on SW slopes yet....

 

Happily, the plows have been kept up, and off our gravel road when the sand is being applied.  No need to push the best gravel into the ditches.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.