Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter Thread

BxEngine

3 hours ago, Paragon said:

What kind of storm was Sept 1882?  Wasn't that our rainiest month on record, closely followed by October 2005?  Would have broken the record had the last ten days that October not been so dry.  

Sept 1944 is the most underrated hurricane our region has had- probably because it came 6 years after Sept 1938.  Also, it occurred during WWII.  Weren't there 200 mph gusts along the Jersey Shore in Sept 1944?

I think you mean 100mph. Regardless that storm was a beast. And did some mega damage on the jersey shore without making landfall anywhere near there. It destroyed the AC boardwalk

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I think you mean 100mph. Regardless that storm was a beast. And did some mega damage on the jersey shore without making landfall anywhere near there. It destroyed the AC boardwalk

I read in a book called New Jersey Hurricanes but they were probably exaggerating with their numbers.  Was it a major up here?

The two canes that book was big on was a left turner in 1903 that hit ACY directly and 1944.

14 minutes ago, Paragon said:

I read in a book called New Jersey Hurricanes but they were probably exaggerating with their numbers.  Was it a major up here?

The two canes that book was big on was a left turner in 1903 that hit ACY directly and 1944.

The acy hit had hurricane force winds all the way up to the western island. Probably one of our most underrated storms. Their aren't to many storms that produced hurricane force winds outside eastern Suffolk 

I heard stories about the 1944 hurricane and what it did to Coney Island Brooklyn...If you road the subway to Coney island like I did in the early 1960's you would have seen a sunken tug boat near the train bridge in Coney Island creek...I was told by a relative back then that it sunk during the 1944 hurricane...I don't know if it was true or not but it was a land mark (or Sea mark) for the subway ride called the Sea Beach Express...

coney island creek.jpg

53 minutes ago, uncle W said:

I heard stories about the 1944 hurricane and what it did to Coney Island Brooklyn...If you road the subway to Coney island like I did in the early 1960's you would have seen a sunken tug boat near the train bridge in Coney Island creek...I was told by a relative back then that it sunk during the 1944 hurricane...I don't know if it was true or not but it was a land mark (or Sea mark) for the subway ride called the Sea Beach Express...

coney island creek.jpg

I'm guessing by your posts over the years that you're a rail fan too?  

Just now, IrishRob17 said:

I'm guessing by your posts over the years that you're a rail fan too?  

yeah I like trains too...I knew every switch and every station on that line...I used to play hooky and take the train to the Empire State Building and look out over the city for hours...I would ride the train for hours...I got in trouble a few times with my friends walking the tracks or doing other stupid things to the subway...

2 minutes ago, uncle W said:

yeah I like trains too...I knew every switch and every station on that line...I used to play hooky and take the train to the Empire State Building and look out over the city for hours...I would ride the train for hours...I got in trouble a few times with my friends walking the tracks or doing other stupid things to the subway...

I'm a rail fan too, more freight though than passenger. My brother, friends, and I never got caught luckily with the stupid things we did as kids along The River Line up here 

35 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I'm a rail fan too, more freight though than passenger. My brother, friends, and I never got caught luckily with the stupid things we did as kids along The River Line up here 

I'm a big fan of old steam trains.  Nothing like the sound of the whistles out in the distance.  I'm also a "gear head" in general, and find the external combustion engine really fascinating.

7 hours ago, JerseyWx said:

I'm a big fan of old steam trains.  Nothing like the sound of the whistles out in the distance.  I'm also a "gear head" in general, and find the external combustion engine really fascinating.

Nice. Steam locomotives are quite the piece of machinery. I love it when the weather and railroads come together, thud my posts about the snow at Truckee. There are some rather impressive pieces of equipment deployed to keep Donner Pass, and other places, open.  

3 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Nice. Steam locomotives are quite the piece of machinery. I love it when the weather and railroads come together, thud my posts about the snow at Truckee. There are some rather impressive pieces of equipment deployed to keep Donner Pass, and other places, open.  

I agree Rob, in fact I read an article in Hot Rod Magazine awhile ago about clearing snow with a steam train.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hot-rod-anything-clearing-snow-4000-hp/

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

Here's some old steam stuff for you

Thanks Rob.  You might already know, but the NYS&W line runs straight through Butler. From what I can find, commuter service stopped going out of here in 1966, but the old train station lives on as the Butler museum.  You can still hear the freight trains occasionally, as the rails are still open for them.

21 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

Anyone here has anxiety over flying? Haven't been on a plane in 13 years and will be flying to the DR in July. Didn't have anxiety issues then but I do now. Just wondering any techniques that would help?

Xanax 

12 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Bring something good to read, keep your mind focused. 

Sounds like a good idea. Maybe its just the anticipation of being on a plane more than anything but I will give that a try.

3 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Xanax 

Lmao nah. I would smoke before I get to the airport but I think that'll just make it worse. Maybe a drink or 2.

13 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

Sounds like a good idea. Maybe its just the anticipation of being on a plane more than anything but I will give that a try.

Lmao nah. I would smoke before I get to the airport but I think that'll just make it worse. Maybe a drink or 2.

You won't have any anxiety if you take one.  .5 mg should do the trick.  Otherwise deep breathing and distract yourself any way you can.   Read like PSV said or listen to some music, maybe something calming (Forky music).  

1 hour ago, dmillz25 said:

Anyone here has anxiety over flying? Haven't been on a plane in 13 years and will be flying to the DR in July. Didn't have anxiety issues then but I do now. Just wondering any techniques that would help?

My younger brother takes Xanax and has a couple of drinks, seems to make him mellow for flights.  Years ago I had to hold him in his seat once as we were taking off, as he had a panic attack before he was diagnosed with Graves disease, poor kid wanted me to punch him and knock him out.  

8 minutes ago, uofmiami said:

My younger brother takes Xanax and has a couple of drinks, seems to make him mellow for flights.  Years ago I had to hold him in his seat once as we were taking off, as he had a panic attack before he was diagnosed with Graves disease, poor kid wanted me to punch him and knock him out.  

I've never taken xanax and I've seen ppl on it so that's why I won't want to do that. Maybe a few drinks would help. My anxiety isn't as bad as it was say 3 years ago but just the thought of being on a plane is already messing with me.

39 minutes ago, Rjay said:

You won't have any anxiety if you take one.  .5 mg should do the trick.  Otherwise deep breathing and distract yourself any way you can.   Read like PSV said or listen to some music, maybe something calming (Forky music).  

Yeah I've seen alot of things that say deep breathing helps with that.

7 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

I've never taken xanax and I've seen ppl on it so that's why I won't want to do that. Maybe a few drinks would help. My anxiety isn't as bad as it was say 3 years ago but just the thought of being on a plane is already messing with me.

Those are people abusing it in all likelihood.

54 minutes ago, Rjay said:

you rang?

1 hour ago, dmillz25 said:

Used to hate flying but now I'm fine. Depends on what is causing your anxiety. For me it was a combo of heights, claustrophobia and of course crashing. But air travel is so safe now you really have nothing to worry about. Now I just remind myself that every noise you hear is normal and just a routine part of flying.

And yes xanax and booze can help too

3 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Used to hate flying but now I'm fine. Depends on what is causing your anxiety. For me it was a combo of heights, claustrophobia and of course crashing. But air travel is so safe now you really have nothing to worry about. Now I just remind myself that every noise you hear is normal and just a routine part of flying.

And yes xanax and booze can help too

I think it's the combo of how long it's been since I've been on a plane and the anticipation of being on one. I think once I'm in the air I should be fine and also having a few drinks in my system lol.

8 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:
I think it's the combo of how long it's been since I've been on a plane and the anticipation of being on one. I think once I'm in the air I should be fine and also having a few drinks in my system lol.

I'm not exactly sure when I get over my fear. But I used to panic when I got on a plane to the point of where I wanted to turn around. Even Xanax didn't do much. I only fly a couple times a year but when I do it's fairly routine I just treat it like getting on a train or a bus. There's also a book written by an ex pilot who explains just how hard it is to bring down an aircraft. It's a good read. Its called cockpit confidential

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Archived