3/13- 3/14 Winter Storm Threat

Buddy1987

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH MONDAY/...
As of 1046 PM EDT Sunday...

Forecast updated to upgrade Winter Storm Watch to a Warning over
Greenbrier WV to Amherst VA, with advisories buffering this to
the south from Summers WV to Floyd VA. Additional headlines may
be needed further south and west late tonight, pending later
model data and coordination with neighboring NWS offices.

Here's to hoping for NC mountains.

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
.NEAR TERM /THROUGH MONDAY/...As of 1046 PM EDT Sunday...Forecast updated to upgrade Winter Storm [url=http://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=Watch]Watch[/url] to a [url=http://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=Warning]Warning[/url] overGreenbrier [url=http://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=WV]WV[/url] to Amherst VA, with advisories buffering this tothe south from Summers [url=http://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=WV]WV[/url] to Floyd VA. Additional headlines maybe needed further south and west late tonight, pending latermodel data and coordination with neighboring [url=http://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?word=NWS]NWS[/url] offices.

Here's to hoping for NC mountains.

NC N. Foothills def out of the game!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, BIG FROSTY said:

Well what happened next 24 hrs?

Lol not even worth it. Warm as the best moisture misses even me to the east northeast. GFS at best looks like a couple inches here with mixing a definite at this point. The only saving grace is if this thing keeps adjusting more southwest, it may throw the CCB toward us before it lifts out. 

Lol not even worth it. Warm as the best moisture misses even me to the east northeast. GFS at best looks like a couple inches here with mixing a definite at this point. The only saving grace is if this thing keeps adjusting more southwest, it may throw the CCB toward us before it lifts out. 

I knew it couldn't be good. Silence speaks volumes!! Lol. Good luck up there!

44 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Just expect a cold rain, then any frozen is a bonus 

Great forecast, and will work with ANY storm in the SE!!!

Sleet in the forecast now, which I'm sure they will remove it later today!

.TONIGHT...Sleet in the evening. Rain. Sleet accumulation up to
1 inch. Lows in the lower 30s. Light and variable winds. Chance
of precipitation near 100 percent. 

39 minutes ago, BIG FROSTY said:

Really do not know what caused the storm as a whole to warm up, when the NS energy trended more SW with each run. One would expect it to be colder especially with CAD already in place.

1 minute ago, CAD_Wedge_NC said:

Really do not know what caused the storm as a whole to warm up, when the NS energy trended more SW with each run. One would expect it to be colder especially with CAD already in place.

Yeah me too. My forecast went from Saturday night it had snow here Mod accum low of 30. yesterday it had mix low in low 30s now it's a chance of sleet. I'm sure by this evening package it will be just rain low in the mid 30s????? 

17 minutes ago, CAD_Wedge_NC said:

yep with the ull digging sw you would think the temps would be colder, dragging more cold air into the storm.  NWS has wwa for Buncombe county tonight and tomorrow for 1-3 inches of snow with less freezing rain they said.  snow showers and very cold tomorrow night and Wednesday.

17 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

You never want a 1000mb surface low inland over NC tracking NNE...that usually even takes the mts out of the game much less the foothills....

wanted the low to come out of the Gulf and track across to about Charleston, a lot of us would be in the game then.

1 hour ago, BIG FROSTY said:

Atleast Wilmington, NC got 1.1" of snow yesterday!!! That should make you feel better!! :)

27 minutes ago, fritschy said:

is the idea of a Miller A type storm not coming up from the gulf now, was hoping for that but I guess not if the NWS just has us 1-3 inches of snow.  very quite in here, I guess that speaks for itself.

If it's any consolation, the 45 day outlooks on the models, keep it very cold in the E and SE and very wet! Don't give up on winter!

6 minutes ago, fritschy said:

wanted the low to come out of the Gulf and track across to about Charleston, a lot of us would be in the game then.

Its more so its path up the coast....if the low  tracked over ILM headed ENE it would nail you, or even a NNE track 100 miles off the NC coast would hammer our folks...but a bombing low riding up inland over the sounds is just yeck.....you will see some snow to start and maybe as the 850's crash on the BS but unless the models trend 200 miles east today its over for NC......and the only time the models are that wrong in short term is when they paste NC end to end with a snowstorm then a 200 mile NW trend in the last 24-36 hrs will happen lol.

1 minute ago, mackerel_sky said:

We got 18 days before I throw in the towel! I've had flakes flying in Greenville on April 11! That's my record latest seeing flakes! 

My grandmother told me a story of her working in the fields with snow on the ground in April. I suppose with the strange year we're having anything is possible.

41 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

We got 18 days before I throw in the towel! I've had flakes flying in Greenville on April 11! That's my record latest seeing flakes! 

Ironically here in Greenville NC the latest I have seen accumulating snow is also April 11th, which is also the latest snowfall on record here....it was in 1989 we actually got a inch or two even.

Mountain people need the low to start bombing out off the Ga coast or farther south, if you want snow with a slightly inland track (that the models are showing).  That's not happening here.  Otherwise, you need an off the coast track, especially when high pressure is located so far away.  I'd like to see it at least down in the 990s by the time it gets to Myrtle Beach.  Not this time, it appears.  Rain for everyone.

2 hours ago, nomanslandva said:

It really does not go out far enough but HRRR still allows room for hope.   6z gfs torched the mid levels though.  My NWS forecast went from less than 1 inch last night to 1-2 so who knows.  

12z nam is not horrible man with 850s. Only our area really has a hope tho. It is colder than progged due to dense cloud cover so that may be beneficial. Dew point is 19 so we should get some good evaporational cooling if we can get a good band to start. 

Archived