Newest Member
    joxey
3/13- 3/14 Winter Storm Threat

Buddy1987

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Interesting to see the NAM and now the RGEM coming in further south with the ull.  I would have thought it would have helped w-NC...hopefully the GFS/Euro improve.  At 36 RGEM appears to have a quicker phase too.

Looking at 4k NAM soundings it does help keep the warm nose in check quite a bit. It just gets to freezing/maybe 0.5C instead of the +2-3C it had been.

At this range back in our Jan bust the NAM's and the RGEM started hinting at the NW shift and thus eventual temp issues.  I would expect the GFS to be SE of both models coming up.  Will be interesting to see if heaviest snows are up the 95 corridor in NoVA or more west when this all unfolds.

Just now, Buddy1987 said:

Gfs to me looks pretty similar at 15 in regard to the ull over Iowa at that time.

Compared to 0z run it's big shift SW with the ULL at 21 and 24.  I keep thinking that would be good but I guess slower may mean further NW track.

1 minute ago, packbacker said:

Compared to 0z run it's big shift SW with the ULL at 21 and 24.  I keep thinking that would be good but I guess slower may mean further NW track.

It does move fairly more sw of its position you are correct. What a change thus far this morning with guidance.

Just now, packbacker said:

Good for you right?  The NAM's and RGEM?

Yea def. Will help big time in the upcoming frames. With the ull south of me always a good good sign. All guidance wants to do earlier phase this morning. Big change from fri nights and yesterdays catastrophe for my area and the mountains.

Just now, Disc said:

It's a very nice hit. It brings a lot more QPF than previous runs.

Hours 39 and 42 are awesome! Ill post in a min. 850s def borderline but heavier rates and as we head into evening with less insulation, along with bombing low will go from rain to mod to heavy snow. 

35 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

Yea def. Will help big time in the upcoming frames. With the ull south of me always a good good sign. All guidance wants to do earlier phase this morning. Big change from fri nights and yesterdays catastrophe for my area and the mountains.

At the rate its trending would Asheville benefit from this also, maybe a colder outlook, more snow than a mix?

3 minutes ago, fritschy said:

At the rate its trending would Asheville benefit from this also, maybe a colder outlook, more snow than a mix?

If that ull can keep progressing more southwest you guys could def be in for a nice event imo. Guys like pilot and pack can prolly give you better guidance on that area, as i am not accustomed to it, however the setup keeps trending better and better. 

7 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

Me thinks D.C. is going to be mostly sleet/rain with this one. I look forward to the meltdowns as the event unfolds.

I def think they front end thump decent. If these models keep trending ever so slightly west, which they have been since last night, then yes people could cliff jump.

You loop the last couple of runs of the GFS 5h anomaly plots you can see the atlantic ridge getting a little stronger which forces the southern SW to slow down and even a little south.  This is what killed Raleigh inside 48 in Jan...wonder if this trend keeps up.  Would guess the 12z runs ingested something from the atlantic that caused such a big shift.  Would expect a monster Euro run for west of 95 into VA/PA.

gfs_z500a_namer_7.png

The band on the west side of this storm as it begins to "bomb out" is going to be very impressive, at least going by the NAM. Negative omega values (lift) nearing -30 showing very impressive 700mb vertical velocities, this band is gonna be putting down some serious snow. Below is a cross section from the 12z for KROA and a 700mb VV map. Notice the very low omega values (red) overlayed on top of RH. This is the same time as the VV's are nearly maxed out along the 81 corridor.

a927c90b678e457a9bb5d738fa8ba6db.png

2e5b005317274f99a34e0ac183c9cea4.png

We have temp problems.  I like we have the stronger looking storm and QPF going up but temps don't look great.  Text sounding from 6z NAM was almost all snow but the 12z looked like sleet issues for thee first half of the .85"  GFS looks like all snow but very close.  Then you have to remember warm noses seem to over perform.  Disc's post on the dynamics for us on the NAM is what I think we are going to need.  That or another little change to get temps to go back in the right direction a bit.

Archived