• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
3/13- 3/14 Winter Storm Threat

Buddy1987

snowing very hard in West Asheville and has been for 30 minutes.  surprised Buncombe County schools aren't closing early, temps are now down to 33 and very wet roads, they're going to start getting icy as temps just keep falling, us bus drivers will have to take it easy.

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, fritschy said:

snowing very hard in West Asheville and has been for 30 minutes.  surprised Buncombe County schools aren't closing early, temps are now down to 33 and very wet roads, they're going to start getting icy as temps just keep falling, us bus drivers will have to take it easy.

I'm in East Asheville, basically in Swannanoa and it seems all precip. has stopped here, except for maybe a light mist/baby flurries. We had decent, light snow earlier but nothing that I would categorize as "very hard". Congrats on at least some nice snow shower action! Hopefully the high winds will help to dry out those roads so they can't freeze before you and your co-workers have the chance to get all the kids home safely! And yourselves, of course! :D

I don't know if it's the cold or what but when I take my iPhone outside, fully charged, it dies in a matter of minutes and acts like it needs recharged.  

Took a walk down the main strip in this town, pretty cool, lots of little food joints but none are open.  Soup, goldfish and a halo are what's for dinner.

1 hour ago, WeatherNC said:

I don't know if it's the cold or what but when I take my iPhone outside, fully charged, it dies in a matter of minutes and acts like it needs recharged.  

Took a walk down the main strip in this town, pretty cool, lots of little food joints but none are open.  Soup, goldfish and a halo are what's for dinner.

Dang, to bad there's no "snow pack chicken " joint open. 

18 minutes ago, jburns said:

Meh. This is From Mt Washington's OBS page.  Now that is a stiff breeze.  The temp was 7º and the dew point the same.

16:57 E 107 G 123 0.00 Heavy Snow Blowing Snow Freezing Fog and Windy

How can you compare somewhere at 44.2 N compared to 35.7 N...Mt. Mitchell and the rest of high peaks of NC has some interesting and at times extreme weather

1 hour ago, wncsnow said:

How can you compare somewhere at 44.2 N compared to 35.7 N...Mt. Mitchell and the rest of high peaks of NC has some interesting and at times extreme weather

First I went to the Mt. Washington website and copied the single line of data.  Then I returned to this site where I clicked "quote" under the post I wanted to respond to. Then I typed a few words and hit return before I pasted the single line of data I copied from the Mt. Washington site into my post. Finally I simply clicked "Submit Reply" and like magic, it appeared in this thread.  I hope that helps.

Oh, and so there is no misunderstanding the above is sarcasm because my original post was not intended to denigrate either the NC mountains or your manhood. I simply thought 123 mph wind gusts with this storm were interesting whatever the latitude. I was probably roaming the NC high country before your parents were born. I am well aware of the extremes of weather.

Fascinating storm to follow on the models, many things can be learned from each big costal storm. Biggest take away from this one is how much of a cold bias the gfs has in the mid/upper levels. Very similar to the January storm down here. 

Archived