Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/11-3/12 Winter Storm

BornAgain13

1 minute ago, BlueRidgeFolklore said:

Don't get your hopes up too much. It's been snowing up the mountain for most of the day and it's not accumulating anywhere except for car hoods and grass, and even that only started happening about an hour ago. 

2" may fall from the sky but a trace is all you're probably going to get on the ground. The ground temps are just scorching.

Lol... same here. Gonna have to scrap some off the truck to throw snowballs. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, griteater said:

Rates haven't been that good though have they?

They've been good here for about 3 or 4 hours now and we've had bursts all day. I assume your ground temps are warmer than ours. Yours will start in the cooler part of the day however I doubt it'll make a difference unless it begins to cool rapidly.

8 minutes ago, BlueRidgeFolklore said:

Don't get your hopes up too much. It's been snowing up the mountain for most of the day and it's not accumulating anywhere except for car hoods and grass, and even that only started happening about an hour ago. 

2" may fall from the sky but a trace is all you're probably going to get on the ground. The ground temps are just scorching.

If rates are like the HRRR depicting, it will be way heavier than the mountains have seen, but whether it's rain or snow, is the bigger question here

1 minute ago, mackerel_sky said:

If rates are like the HRRR depicting, it will be way heavier than the mountains have seen, but whether it's rain or snow, is the bigger question here

Your ground temps are way warmer than the mountains too so what you gain in rates will only have to make up in cooling the ground. And even so, rates or not, the models are still spitting out higher accumulations up the hill. 

Not trying to poo poo on the party, just giving a realistic assessment of what is happening right now. 

Your ground temps are way warmer than the mountains too so what you gain in rates will only have to make up in cooling the ground. And even so, rates or not, the models are still spitting out higher accumulations up the hill. 

Not trying to poo poo on the party, just giving a realistic assessment of what is happening right now. 

I'm staying in Maggie Valley tonight to get some laps up on Cat in the morning, and you are spot on with your assessment.  Its 25 outside and struggling to accumulate. 

1 minute ago, J.C. said:

I'm staying in Maggie Valley tonight to get some laps up on Cat in the morning, and you are spot on with your assessment.  Its 25 outside and struggling to accumulate. 

Just not enough time to cool the soil from the 60° temps we've had the last 2 weeks. It might eventually begin to stick but the bulk of what's falling is being used to actually try and cool the ground. 

Just not enough time to cool the soil from the 60° temps we've had the last 2 weeks. It might eventually begin to stick but the bulk of what's falling is being used to actually try and cool the ground. 

Yep, and it isn't even trying to stick to the roads at this point, which is a good thing.

3 minutes ago, neatlburbwthrguy said:

Am I missing something or does the precip look to exit southwest NC within the hour?  Is there supposed to be some re-developing?

#confused

There should be some redevelopment but im afraid this is a big bust for most if not all warning and advisory areas

Was 32 over 23 at PGV so we got plenty of cold here but unless that main area of lift is 50-75 miles further north as it comes towards the coast it will be wasted.....HRRR has snow over MBY for 6 hrs with no accumulation and a total of .05" of QPF....not sure why the models lull the heavier band as it moves east either seems like it should maintain at the very least. 

4 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Was 32 over 23 at PGV so we got plenty of cold here but unless that main area of lift is 50-75 miles further north as it comes towards the coast it will be wasted.....HRRR has snow over MBY for 6 hrs with no accumulation and a total of .05" of QPF....not sure why the models lull the heavier band as it moves east either seems like it should maintain at the very least. 

The NAM has the warm advection overrunning staying mainly in SC....it's like it's moving on a WNW to ESE trajectory thru SC as opposed to hooking to the NE....500mb wave just didn't sharpen for us enough

Looks like Greenville-Spartanburg NWS is targeting the NC/SC border area(s) as the place where all the action will go down. They are increasing totals there and scaling DOWN the totals in the WARNING AREA(s). 

This means that I may fare a little better, however, i feel bad for my friends up in the high country. 

1 minute ago, Rankin5150 said:

Looks like Greenville-Spartanburg NWS is targeting the NC/SC border area(s) as the place where all the action will go down. They are increasing totals there and scaling DOWN the totals in the WARNING AREA(s). 

This means that I may fare a little better, however, i feel bad for my friends up in the high country. 

I'm 11 miles north of nc/sc border in Sapphire 

how does it look for me?   I'm staying up!

yep, doesn't look good for Asheville, the radar doesn't look impressive, need something to enhance the snowfall but I don't know if there is anything to do that.  I think this one is done with maybe a half inch if we're lucky, heck it snowed harder yesterday afternoon when it wasn't suppose to snow that it looks like it will snow all night,  its coming down heavier right now but radar west of here looks like it won't last all night.  guess we'll see.

Archived