• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - March 2017

Glad to see what's probably the best run the Euro has had with this storm with regards to a widespread warning level snow for pretty much all of our forum region... at a good range for such things (getting into the 48-60hr timeframe). Looks like the 6z NAM has slipped a bit east of 0z, throttling the Sus Valley into NE PA but not impacting true central as hard. 

CTP now has their entire CWA under watches along with a few of the eastern most PBZ counties. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely great model runs overnight !!!

There is strong agreement at this time with most of the major models. For MDT, The 0z Euro jumped back to 16 inches of snow at 10-1 ratio & has 21 inches with Kuchera ratio,which looks to be using a 13-1 ratio.

The 6z NAM has the LSV in the 15 to 17 inch range on both the 12 k & 4 k models.

There is an old rule of thumb that says to be confident with a storm forecast when the NAM     & Euro agree with each other.

The 0z EPS looked better than 12z, with around 12 inches now for the LSV.

Game on !

Not going to lie, this storm has me on edge for accuracy issues. That western low could dictate a lot about how this plays out and wreak havoc on forecasts if it's slightly different from progged. I don't like taking the models as rule, but moreso as a "what are the models telling us" type of thing. This weakness on the NW side of the QPF shields that has come and gone on the operationals makes me uneasy. Not saying this won't be a significant storm, but saying that this could be a 4-10" storm for this forum as easily as it could be a 8-18+ storm. 

Just now, AllWeather said:

Not going to lie, this storm has me on edge for accuracy issues. That western low could dictate a lot about how this plays out and wreak havoc on forecasts if it's slightly different from progged. I don't like taking the models as rule, but moreso as a "what are the models telling us" type of thing. This weakness on the NW side of the QPF shields that has come and gone on the operationals makes me uneasy. Not saying this won't be a significant storm, but saying that this could be a 4-10" storm for this forum as easily as it could be a 8-18+ storm. 

Thats a great point.  As you know I like to post maps, and off what I can see going on (to the best of my ability).  That said, the most variability noticed in last 12 hrs, has been the NW quadrant and as there still are a few models (noteably the GFS) want to let it escape ENE which could have big impact for 2001kx n folks out his way.  

what gets me is at 0z your point is evident.  Look at the SLP and 500 off the east coast.  Just doesnt look right.  see below

gfs_z500_mslp_us_12.png

06z looks better/cleaner w/ less interaction w/ the ULL to me.  SLP also seems to match 500 better, but is 3 mb weaker.

gfs_z500_mslp_us_11.png

look at the isobars on the NW quad.  That ULL is definately wreaking a little havoc for our western crew.  By the same token, that seems to extend our snowfall, as the 500 LP passes through later Tuesday.  

Nut

This is really going to be an interesting storm for me. As I alluded to in previous posts, I will not be at home for this one. I will be in the Bloomsburg area for orientation at a new job. If we really get pummeled, and no one can make it in to the trucking company I'm going to be driving for, then I will be spending a boring day (day 2 of a 3 day orientation) stuck in a motel room. The only saving grace is that I have a lifted Jeep, so if I would want to, I "could" go gallivanting around the region taking pics and video. The catch to that is I'll be relying on my little Galaxy S6 to check models, radar, and this site, as most of my good weather sites are bookmarked here on my desktop pc.

With that being said...

LET IT SNOW!

1 minute ago, maytownpawx said:

1) Noticed that overnight CTP updated the WSW from the potential of 6" or more, now the watch is saying for the potential of 10" or more. I like that.

2) I suspect that I will add little to no value to my employer tomorrow.

lol at bullet point #2... :lol:

5 minutes ago, maytownpawx said:

1) Noticed that overnight CTP updated the WSW from the potential of 6" or more, now the watch is saying for the potential of 10" or more. I like that.

Part of my job is to watch for unusual weather. so I get paid to do this....

Just now, Voyager said:

This is really going to be an interesting storm for me. As I alluded to in previous posts, I will not be at home for this one. I will be in the Bloomsburg area for orientation at a new job. If we really get pummeled, and no one can make it in to the trucking company I'm going to be driving for, then I will be spending a boring day (day 2 of a 3 day orientation) stuck in a motel room. The only saving grace is that I have a lifted Jeep, so if I would want to, I "could" go gallivanting around the region taking pics and video. The catch to that is I'll be relying on my little Galaxy S5 to check models, radar, and this site as most of my good weather sites are bookmarked here on my desktop pc.

With that being said...

LET IT SNOW!

Wait.........what..........

do mine eyes deceive me??

did you fall??

Are you ok?? :)

By George, it is gonna snow!!  

I know your a go big or go home kinda guy.  I say you just stay home and gallivant up around Locust Lake.  Pretty country up in them there coal hills.

Nut

Nut

Just now, maytownpawx said:

Glad to see them dipping a toe in da water!!

and LMAO.  Yeah thats pretty much a given for anyone in this forum.  

Hoping today continues the good trends.  Getting pretty close so hopefully were runnin outta wiggle on this bad boy.

Nut

Just now, Superstorm said:

Just woke up....that Euro run really got me amped up!

Now let's bring this home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude....WTF....how can you sleep with a storm coming? :D  I try, but it just doesnt work.    

My wife asked me at 530 AM "why are you getting out of bed?  You haven't been sleeping well lately."

I laughed and said, do you really need me to answer that?

Im sick....I know.

Nut

Dude....WTF....how can you sleep with a storm coming?   I try, but it just doesnt work.    

My wife asked me at 530 AM "why are you getting out of bed?  You haven't been sleeping well lately."

I laughed and said, do you really need me to answer that?

Im sick....I know.

Nut

Cmon brother. I was at least was up til 3:00 am. I'm pulling my weight, LOL!

My girlfriend thinks I'm crazy but that's the price you pay for being with a weather weenie.

Just now, Superstorm said:

My girlfriend thinks I'm crazy but that's the price you pay for being with a weather weenie.

atta boy....I'm proud of you.  Glad to see I'm in such good company.....

Here's to hoping for a great day of model runs.  I'll be around for 12z's but will be doing storm prep chores....whoohoo!!

Nut

8 minutes ago, Superstorm said:

I told my wife when we met that she would be an internet widow whenever a major winter storm threatened the region. But...I don't and won't miss sleep just to stay up for a model run. As Ralph Wiggum mentioned in the Philly thread, the model output will still be there when you wake up in the morning. Once the storm starts, however, if the best rates are going to be during the overnight hours, I may stay up, or wake up early to see it.

I told my wife when we met that she would be an internet widow whenever a major winter storm threatened the region. But...I don't and won't miss sleep just to stay up for a model run. As Ralph Wiggum mentioned in the Philly thread, the model output will still be there when you wake up in the morning. Once the storm starts, however, if the best rates are going to be during the overnight hours, I may stay up, or wake up early to see it.

For me in big storms it's like being a kid on Christmas morning. Too much adrenaline pumping.

2 minutes ago, Superstorm said:

For me in big storms it's like being a kid on Christmas morning. Too much adrenaline pumping.

The night before a storm I can usually get to sleep. If, however, I wake up at 1:30am to go pee, it's all over. I'm NOT falling back to sleep...lol

1 hour ago, maytownpawx said:

Lol! It's going to be struggle tomorrow at work. I'm so glad I have off Tuesday. 

Something you guys can think about today.. do we want to do a separate C-PA obs thread for this storm like we did with last year's big one?

I know this one will likely not be coming with the excessive totals that one did but barring a major shift in things the next 24 hours this storm has the potential to bring warning snows to the entire subforum region for a change, with a good chunk probably seeing double digits. 

I feel you on this. I haven't made any calls or updates to people because of that. I'm giving it till after 12z runs today to add my 2 cents to people on FB and what not. That being said, I mentioned yesterday that I thought the southern tier east of 81 is looking decent for a good event. Well, that certainly stands and I'll go as far to say anyone from Gettysburg on east in the southern tier is almost primed for a minimum of 8". We go through with every storm (Last years Blizzard no exception) that something is always allowing for pause when making a final forecast. The one thing I will say is our technology has gotten better and I like to think when every model is depicting something very similar, it probably has caught on to the general idea of how it most likely will unfold. Can changes occur prior to game time? Sure. But I don't see many major changes in the horizon. I'm sure there will be greater data sampling for some of today's runs like they did last night runs. That to me is significant. The one area in question as far as potential is the area west of 81. The expansion of the QPF field to the west will be contingent on the interaction with that low out in OH Valley. That might not be completely resolved until tomorrow morning. That's at least my take. I actually haven't talked to Eric yet, but he should be coming out with his call today I would believe. If he's pulling triggers for 8+ over part of the state, that's when you got to think it will happen. Good luck making a call! I look forward to hearing for you :)

Just now, MAG5035 said:

Something you guys can think about today.. do we want to do a separate C-PA obs thread for this storm like we did with last year's big one?

I know this one will likely not be coming with the excessive totals that one did but barring a major shift in things the next 24 hours this storm has the potential to bring warning snows to the entire subforum region for a change, with a good chunk probably seeing double digits. 

I think its a good idea.  Would also be easier to reference for the next big storm that takes on a similar evolution.  

Or just easier to find if it goes down well, and some of us are mid summer drippin sweat and in need of saving.

JMO

Nut

Archived