Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2017 General Severe Weather thread

downeastnc

58 minutes ago, Disc said:

Speaking of the 3k, that supercell along the NC/SC border starting west of Rockingham, NC is nasty. You can see it ride the warm front from west to east, before things begin to go linear. I honestly believe we will see the boundary set up along the NC/SC border -- A lot of times these CAD/backdoor fronts are a lot stronger than modeled, which is why I believe most of the "action" will be southern NC and into northern SC.

Yep,these wedge/backdoor fronts usually but not always set up around Gastonia/Charlotte/to around Albemarle here in the piedmont/west central NC for as long as I can remember.Anyone one the front will have to pay close attention tomorrow.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A few severe thunderstorms will be possible along and south of the
boundary this afternoon and evening. At the moment, it appears that
areas south of the immediate Triad and Triangle areas may have the
higher chance of severe weather. This includes Albemarle, Wadesboro,
Southern Pines, Sanford, Fayetteville, and Clinton.

Good call from SPC. System is assuming some mid-latitude characteristics while maintaining robust LLJ and boundary layer flow. Adequate upper level flow has developed. I documented a tornado in Alabama yesterday (Tenn Valley disco forthcoming) and similar wind fields are heading your way. Enhanced looks about right.

HRRR says what thunderstorms in the ENH area, the 3k Nam is a bit better with coverage but most of the storms are east of the 10% area....and both very much have a major squall line for central and eastern NC but I that explains why the focus is back west where the storms will be more discrete and moving more north versus a squall line racing east.

Looking at the vis you do see gravity wave clouds over the area highlighted by SPC and thats seems to be a common occurrence in areas that have tornados later....

vis.jpg.ced01c41368f4d03f4869886dace355d.jpg

Tornado Watch Number 477
   NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
   150 PM EDT Fri Sep 1 2017

The NWS Storm Prediction Center has issued a

* Tornado Watch for portions of 
     Western and central North Carolina
     Northern South Carolina

* Effective this Friday afternoon and evening from 150 PM until
     1000 PM EDT.

* Primary threats include...
     A few tornadoes likely
     Isolated damaging wind gusts to 70 mph possible

SUMMARY...Thunderstorms are beginning to develop in broken bands to the east of the remnants of tropical depression Harvey.  These    storms will strengthen through the afternoon, and the storm    environment will favor a threat for tornadic supercells along a    slow-moving front across North Carolina through late evening.

The tornado watch area is approximately along and 45 statute miles north and south of a line from 30 miles southwest of Hickory NC to 55 miles east northeast of Fayetteville NC.

23 minutes ago, nrgjeff said:

Goodness the lack of radar detail over Charlotte is one of the worst in the country. I know it is discussed often here. We waiting for debris balls? Come on they are rotating!

Yeah its pretty bad radar coverage there, looks like several rotation now west of Kannapolis is getting nasty, the one in SE Charlotte metro is also getting that look...

31 minutes ago, nrgjeff said:

Goodness the lack of radar detail over Charlotte is one of the worst in the country. I know it is discussed often here. We waiting for debris balls? Come on they are rotating!

Coverage in the Triad is bad too. Stick a site in like Kannapolis and you give good coverage to both areas. Which is like 5 million people. But I certainly don't see it happening anytime soon.

That cell going towards Asheboro is no joke and still strengthening it seems.

Agree. It is almost the opposite problem there with radar right in town and under much of local storms. Wichita has the issue, but one just goes to Vance. Springfield MO can use Tulsa. Frankly, it is inexcusable to allow both of these issues below in Carolina Alley. Stay safe!

39 minutes ago, Dunkman said:

Coverage in the Triad is bad too. Stick a site in like Kannapolis and you give good coverage to both areas. Which is like 5 million people. But I certainly don't see it happening anytime soon.

Charlotte is too far from radar.

1 hour ago, nrgjeff said:

Goodness the lack of radar detail over Charlotte is one of the worst in the country. I know it is discussed often here. 

Archived