Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2017 Discussion & Observations

dmillz25

13 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

I'll take whatever we can get. If we can get some decent snowstorms, it will be worth it regardless of the winter temperature anomaly. The Kara ridge looks very impressive and the model consensus on that is encouraging.

Don , I have lost count how many times this winter I have seen positive features in the day 7 plus only to see them disintegrate. 

But I guess I have to bite on the ridge here  .

I just  hope it turns into something. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, PB GFI said:

Don , I have lost count how many times this winter I have seen positive features in the day 7 plus only to see them disintegrate. 

But I guess I have to bite on the ridge here  .

I just  hope it turns into something. 

If you think about it we have had the ridge for about a week now. It flattens out by next week so to be fair we had a week and half of it. But unfortunately we didn't capitalize on snow opportunities with the crappy Atlantic and trough position. Eps did a great job with keeping this week dry 2 weeks out 

3 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

If you think about it we have had the ridge for about a week now. It flattens out by next week so to be fair we had a week and half of it. But unfortunately we didn't capitalize on snow opportunities with the crappy Atlantic and trough position. Eps did a great job with keeping this week dry 2 weeks out 

I am talking about the Kara sea ridge . The AO really tanks day 6 to 10 .

That SE ridge never got muted like I thought .

Timmy when I zigged , sht zagged.

2 minutes ago, PB GFI said:

I am talking about the Kara sea ridge . The AO really tanks day 6 to 10 .

That SE ridge never got muted like I thought .

Timmy when I zigged , sht zagged.

Oh okay. Thought you were referring to the ridge out west. It's been a rough winter for all of us. I really was high on next week for something significant. Really disappointed the pattern pretty much went to crap. Then in return we kick the can. 

Just now, Allsnow said:

Oh okay. Thought you were referring to the ridge out west. It's been a rough winter for all of us. I really was high on next week for something significant. Really disappointed the pattern pretty much went to crap. Then in return we kick the can. 

Tommy killed it this year . 

1 hour ago, dmillz25 said:

It could also save March 

While I said I wouldn't be surprised if we got blocking in March, I definitely would not count on it at this point. Meteorological spring starts March 1 and there's a reason for that; sun angle, wavelength changes, climo working against you, etc. In 4 weeks from now time will be running out very fast for winter. I have real serious doubts about salvaging February as a cold and snowy month at this point looking at everything. As far as long range model guidance, it's been horrible all winter long, just terrible. I'm pretty confident February finishes warmer than normal and less snowy than normal. March is a wildcard at the moment, but at that point, 6 of one, half a dozen of the other....

17 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

While I said I wouldn't be surprised if we got blocking in March, I definitely would not count on it at this point. Meteorological spring starts March 1 and there's a reason for that; sun angle, wavelength changes, climo working against you, etc. In 4 weeks from now time will be running out very fast for winter. I have real serious doubts about salvaging February as a cold and snowy month at this point looking at everything. As far as long range model guidance, it's been horrible all winter long, just terrible. I'm pretty confident February finishes warmer than normal and less snowy than normal. March is a wildcard at the moment, but at that point, 6 of one, half a dozen of the other....

I've never agreed with meteorological spring starting March 1st. March averages almost the same amount of snow as December in the NYC area, so it should be considered part of meteorological winter. At least the first half of March should. Crazy that one of the snowiest months of the year isn't part of met winter. 

44 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Yep. Only little bit of hope I have left rests squarely on his shoulders haha. 

I'm looking forward to the first real spring day. Hopefully it's nice and warm 

Lmao yeah he seems optimistic about the period starting next week in the strat so I'll stick with that til proven otherwise 

43 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

We also may be headed into an El Niño now. Historically La Niñas transitioning to El Ninos have been known to produce big March or April storms in the Eastern US 

26 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

I've never agreed with meteorological spring starting March 1st. March averages almost the same amount of snow as December in the NYC area, so it should be considered part of meteorological winter. At least the first half of March should. Crazy that one of the snowiest months of the year isn't part of met winter. 

I tend to agree with you. That's why I like astronomical dates better.  March 20th or so is when you can really see Spring beginning to emerge. 

31 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Perhaps this potential epic bomb will change the pattern.  We've had more than a few pattern changes over the years which got started by massive cutters going up into the Lakes. 

I was actually wondering that myself earlier, it would be something if our coldest and snowiest period winds up being from mid February through mid March. The weather pattern has been pretty volatile this winter and the models have really had a tough time handling things even in the short range.

1 minute ago, Allsnow said:

After yesterday's clipper and departure from normal snowfall

Knyc 11.1.  -1.0

Klga 13.1. +0.2

Kjfk 15.0.  +3.8

Kewr 12.7. -1.0

Kbdr 17.0. +5.0

After a torch January this isn't that bad 

It really isn't. All we would need is a nice 8-12" event or a couple 3-6" events to get close to normal 

While it would be ideal to propagate upward and split through 10hpa, it isn't really necessary insofar as the induction of tropospheric blocking (primary difference would probably be a longer duration block if it splits throughout the column). Since this is a wave 2 upwelling event, positive changes at the surface are more likely to occur than waiting patiently for a typical downwelling event. This is the first time I have actually liked how the EPS look in the LR. The NAO is too far NE initially, but once it retrogrades slightly further west, the trough will be in the Northeast, regardless of the positive EPO. The PNA will improve concurrently due to tropical forcing aid. I would also target the 15th to 20th general period for something interesting. Overall, I still like what I see down the road.

GFS 18z showed an interesting feature, after the cutter next week it showed a developing storm off the coast as the boundary moves east. That would be interesting because I remember a similar event I'll never forget it because it was raining all day and than it changed to heavy wet snow and it accumulated around 16 inches from what I remember maybe uncle has the stars it was about 5 years ago or so! Very nice storm!

By by the way where's Anthony?

IMG_1468.PNG

IMG_1469.PNG

35 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The models are still a mess with the Sunday or Monday wave.   No decisive move on whether it's more southern disturbance or northern disturbance oriented.  The GFS won't budge on the Canadian low being stronger 

I'm not trusting anything beyond day 5 on any model right now-all over the place.

3 hours ago, Allsnow said:

After yesterday's clipper and departure from normal snowfall

Knyc 11.1.  -1.0

Klga 13.1. +0.2

Kjfk 15.0.  +3.8

Kewr 12.7. -1.0

Kbdr 17.0. +5.0

After a torch January this isn't that bad 

Consider yourself lucky 75 miles west here I am running at 25% normal snowfall. A winter that has generally been favoring the interior skipped this area.

39 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The models are still a mess with the Sunday or Monday wave.   No decisive move on whether it's more southern disturbance or northern disturbance oriented.  The GFS won't budge on the Canadian low being stronger 

The overall theme it seems on the models is that the northern branch and southern branch disturbances/shortwaves stay separate, no interaction or phasing and it's just a very fast moving, disjointed mess

1 minute ago, snowman19 said:

The overall theme it seems on the models is that the northern branch and southern branch disturbances/shortwaves stay separate, no interaction or phasing and it's just a very fast moving, disjointed mess

makes sense.

1. Continued strong PAC Jet

2. zero Atlantic blocking to slow anything down.  

Archived