• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Southeast Winter Storm Threats - Model Performance

griteater

We had some discussion on this last week, but I'm opening up this thread to track model performance for southeast winter storm threats.  As the case list grows, we can see over time which model has the best performance in our region.  Let me know (via a post in the thread) if a potential case arises that should be added.  The target date range for the cases will be 2-6 days prior to the storm event.

Once a case is added, it is tracked to verification date, regardless of model flip flopping.  For example, let's say at Day 6, the Euro has a few runs showing a snowstorm, but the GFS does not - that case is documented.  Then let's say later, at Day 3, the models flip, and the GFS shows a snowstorm and the Euro does not - the original documented case isn't changed and is tracked to verification, but potentially a new case is added for the model difference that now exists at Day 3. 

Here's what I've got thus far to get it started...

33tp91d.gif

10 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Good work, Grit.  This is what I suspected, anecdotally.

Also, didn't the models prof the high to the north today to be around 1044mb?  What is it in actuality?

Pressure in Maine right now is around 1040-1042 so that's pretty close......

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=car&zmx=&zmy=&map_x=216&map_y=172&x=216&y=173#.WFhy7KwzV9N

Nice thread.  To draw any scientific conclusions this is going to need something that is absolute you can score it on.  I am hearing a lot of what could be subjective deduction.  You will also need long term data to work out any short term variations.  Statistics are really cool,  I think you may have something here in the future. 

24 minutes ago, LithiaWx said:

Nice thread.  To draw any scientific conclusions this is going to need something that is absolute you can score it on.  I am hearing a lot of what could be subjective deduction.  You will also need long term data to work out any short term variations.  Statistics are really cool,  I think you may have something here in the future. 

Thank you and everyone else for the comments.  Yes, you've identified one of my concerns which is identifying the cases to track.  The target will be winter storm threats where there is an established model difference (not just a single run).  For example, Euro shows a weak winter storm and the GFS shows a whopper....or, Euro shows a winter storm, but the GFS does not.  We'll have to see how it goes.  It won't be a perfect system.  And yes, the goal would be to have this as a continuous, running thread over a multi-year time period.

Could also track things like pattern predictions....i.e. GEFS shows east coast trough in 6-10 day avg, while Euro Ens is zonal....but I'm not planning to track those kinds of differences at this time.  

• 2 weeks later...

It'll take this w for me to even come close to thinking it's in the same league as euro. Been watching these for years and as bad as want the gfs to be right for once it's gonna have to prove it to me. It's had more than one big run beside 12z today. Matter fact it was last wednesday when it spat out 12 inch totals and  Jan 1988 reduux was the topic of conversation. This is how we all got started chasing this threat period.Thursday every model thrashed the SE and abandon the cold push idea except ukmet, then Thursday night 12z after a board wide cliff jump suicide, every model came right back to ukmet cold press pattern and 2 wave, artic front in the gom look. They've all done great with the pattern besides that one cycle and identifying the 2 waves. Now it's crunch time and who's gonna back down on the seperartion factor at 72 hr mark.

I'm going to need to read back through the storm thread, but I will be adding another case that popped up in the 3-4 day range where the GFS was showing runs with snow in Columbia.  In terms of the wobbles that occur within the 1-2 day range, I don't have plans to document those kinds of discrepancies (just too many to track).  In this thread, I'm mainly concerned with the bigger picture.  Model A has a storm and Model B doesn't.  Or Model A has a storm way south of Model B and they are going about it in different ways etc.

8 minutes ago, Timothy Clyde said:

NAM scored big on warm noses and heavy snow further west. Thinking back on it both the GFS and EURO were garbage with some of their solutions just 2 days out.

No, the gfs was the most consistent with this storm especially considering it runs 4 times a day and the euro only two. It had a couple bad runs here or there but it was consistent along with the ukie.