Newest Member
    joxey
EPA/NJ/DE General Winter Discussions

ChescoWx

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

When I got into internet weather in the mid nineties it was the ne.weather bulletin board and there was a small group of maybe a dozen of us that used to "chat" on mirc (#neweather). One of my comrades Marcus (screen name Vortmax) eventually migrated us over to #easternweather on chat in the late nineties and finally started the easternuswx forum. I believe in March 2001 our small group had migrated to the eastern forum iirc....my years and the social media expansion all kind of blend together during that era. But regardless, we were all in tight contact leading up to March 2001. DT was in our crew, Ian from the MA subforum, Scott Simard, Jerry from the New England subforum, a few others that were also red taggers or at least knew their stuff. We all had access to the models at the time and saw the threat. We saw the numbers guidance was spitting out. We also knew we were walking a tightrope down this way as there were subtle signals this had high bust potential and could fall apart for us. None of us were sure what was going to happen as it was never a lock. It wasnt until Bolaris issued "the scroll" that I bought into the seriousness and the potential. I remember almost immediately after it scrolled across I think the AVN model came in and something was clearly off. Phasing wasnt happening as early....timing was off....totals were cut significantly and iirc it was more due to mixing being shown more than anything. The 0z suite came in that night and it was game over. I remember guidance showing the storm exploding too late and specifically remember hoping the AVN wraparound of 10" would be our saving grace. The rest is history.

I met Marcus at the Eastern Get together in Baltimore, I was also on ne.weather, there was a real nut on there from Mt Pocono, I am trying to remember his name. 

I met Marcus at the Eastern Get together in Baltimore, I was also on ne.weather, there was a real nut on there from Mt Pocono, I am trying to remember his name. 

Joseph Bartlo....he was a little "off" I recall. Lived secluded in a cabin in the woods with his mom I think. He was a professor....too smart for his own good lol.

Great recap Ralph...

larry cosgrove is a friend of mine and was a poster back then and turned me on to ne.weather board. I was mostly a lurker and recall the disaster all to well...

not this time around....this time it's gonna be different...lol!!!!

I sat with Larry at dinner and had a chance to talk to Paul Kocin.

IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0028.JPG

0z GFS about 75 miles West with slp vs 18z...right on SNJ coast basically. Big jump but expected at this range still. Actually changes to rain PHL to part of the LV, NYC and BOS as slp goes N thru the Hudson Valley. Still a big hit even with the flip....looks like 15-20" SE PA. Climatology and upper air pattern suggests we havent seen the farthest West solutions just yet.

Ralph if it's going to fail you be better off it happens in the next 24hrs, you don't want it exploding to pieces on Sunday you could end up with both eyes twitching.

CMC is a terrible model, besides I seen enough sic death bands off to my SE since 2010

Euro sorta in line with the CMC and NGP and the January 1987 scenario. Lots of similarities between that storm and Tuesday. Showing up on some analogs as well. For those needing a refresher, coastal SJ crusher and DE, cutoff NW of there. Still have my WPVI Action News 6 footage of that one. One of my first heartbreaks in weather seeing the shore points crushed and just a few inches here after holding so much promise and potential

1987-01-25.jpg

Not sure there's been many monsters without some degree of mixing!!!

True. While 1996 and 1983 did not mix up in Allentown (Bethlehem), 1993 featured about 4-5 hours of a total changeover to sleet during the height of the storm. Had we stayed all snow with that one, we could have possibly gotten between 25 and 30 inches instead of the 17" officially recorded at KABE.

Funny/ironic how 36-48 hours ago there were concerns over the Tuesday event failing because it was progged as being Northern Stream dominant with hardly any Southern Jet feature. Now the Southern Jet is juicy with a nice cluster of impulses in the right spot but the NS is starting to trend weaker and slopper. If we can get the 2 to meet in the middle, we are golden. Its just funny how quickly things change from one side to the other. The positive note tho is even with a few different model solutions at 500mb we still somehow end up with some snow here Tuesday and thats a plus for mid-March in my book.

Archived