joxey
December 2016 General Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

-7° at 5 AM at FWA. Wind Chill -20°. 

IWX's criteria for issuing a WCA is -15°. FWA has been at or below the benchmark every hour since 1 AM, yet no Advisory. I don't understand their thinking.

Looking at obs southeast of the advisory and most wind chills are > -15.  The airport has been just below for a lot of the time though.  Strange.  Murphy's AFD did a pretty good explaining why he didn't issue in the ese.  IMO arguments can be made for and against.

9 minutes ago, Northern_IN_Wx said:

Looking at obs southeast of the advisory and most wind chills are > -15.  The airport has been just below for a lot of the time though.  Strange.  Murphy's AFD did a pretty good explaining why he didn't issue in the ese.  IMO arguments can be made for and against.

Thanks for the reply. I understand and think that maybe there is a geographical reason for the colder wind chills at the airport.

However, I'm looking at it from an EMA and local media met standpoint of get the word out. My thought is if it's going to be cutting it that close, go ahead and issue. The public's not going to realize that it missed the criteria by one or two degrees. I just don't want verification scores to override public safety.

22 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Thanks for the reply. I understand and think that maybe there is a geographical reason for the colder wind chills at the airport.

However, I'm looking at it from an EMA and local media met standpoint of get the word out. My thought is if it's going to be cutting it that close, go ahead and issue. The public's not going to realize that it missed the criteria by one or two degrees. I just don't want verification scores to override public safety.

Makes sense, especially for something like temperatures.  Luckily advisories are not verified/scored at the national level so this shouldn't be any part of our decision making.   

Looks like Aurora dropped to -18, DPA -15, Rockford -13, and ORD -13...and the mins generally occurred between 3AM and 5AM.  It seems like the winds never died down for a long enough time to have the bottom completely fall out...but still a very nice arctic airmass for mid-December.

Max pressure at ORD was 30.70" (1041.8 mb), at 7AM.

Talk about polar opposite to last Dec.  Here's a few interesting comparisons to last Dec.  

Last December the coldest temp for the month was 14.  We've already had four subzero days, with two of them below -10, and a few days that the mean temp was well below zero.

Last December we only had 1.3" of snow for the whole month.  Already up to 13.8" this Dec, with over 10 days left.  

Looks like Aurora dropped to -18, DPA -15, Rockford -13, and ORD -13...and the mins generally occurred between 3AM and 5AM.  It seems like the winds never died down for a long enough time to have the bottom completely fall out...but still a very nice arctic airmass for mid-December.

Max pressure at ORD was 30.70" (1041.8 mb), at 7AM.

Just missed the record at ORD (-14/1983).

I see KIND got down into negative numbers this morning. While it was not near as bad as points north and northwest, it was still extremely chilly for this area. I have no idea if the numbers bear this out, I am not a statistics person, but since I moved here in the early 80's I do not seem to remember negative numbers being normal in December. Yes, in January and February you kind of expect it. Seems to me to be kind of early for such cold numbers here. But maybe my mind has blocked out the bad cold seeing how I do not like it.

12/15

-10 in 1951      
12/16 -15 in 1951    
12/17 -10 in 1989    
12/18 -10 in 1884    
12/19 -12 in 1884    
12/20 -12 in 1963    
12/21 -21 in 1989    
12/22 -23 in 1989    
12/23 -15 in 1989    
12/24 -17 in 1983    
12/25 -15 in 1983    
12/26 -5 in 1983    
12/27 -7 in 1925    
12/28 -13 in 1924    
12/29 -13 in 1880    
12/30 -14 in 1983    
12/31 -9 in 1976  

12 minutes ago, bowtie` said:

I see KIND got down into negative numbers this morning. While it was not near as bad as points north and northwest, it was still extremely chilly for this area. I have no idea if the numbers bear this out, I am not a statistics person, but since I moved here in the early 80's I do not seem to remember negative numbers being normal in December. Yes, in January and February you kind of expect it. Seems to me to be kind of early for such cold numbers here. But maybe my mind has blocked out the bad cold seeing how I do not like it.

I posted the record minimuns above for IND for the last 15 days of December. 1983 and 1989 might ring a bell.

9 minutes ago, bowtie` said:

It's not exactly typical to get below zero at IND in December, but it does happen.  It's been a while though.  Since 1980, here are the Decembers that got below zero:  1980, 1981, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1990, 1995, 2000, 2004, 2016.

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

It's not exactly typical to get below zero at IND in December, but it does happen.  It's been a while though.  Since 1980, here are the Decembers that got below zero:  1980, 1981, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1990, 1995, 2000, 2004, 2016.

You have shown the wisdom of consulting the numbers first. I now see that it is just my perception that is faulty. Sub-zero numbers do happen in central Indiana more than I *know*.

9 hours ago, Hoosier said:

'89 will always be THE December to remember here in CMH area wrt cold.   That was a brutal month.   The cold came in waves beginning in early Dec. Each one progressively more severe until we climaxed the cold around the 18th when it got close to -20 officially with colder readings in the burbs.   That was also the first time I had ever heard the phrase 'ice crystals' under current conditions from the NWS.    I had no idea what that meant.  It was at night, clear skies and I went outside and sure enough it looked as though there was glitter in the air. 

Of course the JB rubber band theory was never more pronounced than that winter.   The cold began to relax around xmas and right as the calendar turned to Jan. 1st, 1990 the rubber band snapped and winter was essentially over.

51 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

It's amazing how quickly one can get acclimated to temperatures.  Today felt like beach weather compared to the past few days.  A few weeks ago temps like today would have chilled me to the bonez.

I had the same experience! 29 degrees and it felt balmy. A few short weeks ago I was bundled up at 40.

Regardless what the grinch storm does, it has been nice to have so much snow around while doing numerous christmas activities.

Thought this made a nice Christmas scene today.

4695-800.jpg

Archived