• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Novie is near, the first un-official month of SNE winter!

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Pretty deep trough in the southwest US in the 11-15 day. Might actually be a few over runners somewhere in the northeast at that time.

Yup looks like a totally different pattern with the -EPO developing and MUCH colder air moving into the Plains. A SWFE wouldn't surprise me.

You are thinking we have a threat in the Dec 3-6 window, right?

22 minutes ago, nzucker said:

Yup looks like a totally different pattern with the -EPO developing and MUCH colder air moving into the Plains. A SWFE wouldn't surprise me.

You are thinking we have a threat in the Dec 3-6 window, right?

Id rather look at the overall pattern for now. Notice I said "northeast." It could be overrunning for ROC and 64/59 for SNE at the same time. It's too far away to get that cute. I just like the overall look and lack of NAMR blow torch. 

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Id rather look at the overall pattern for now. Notice I said "northeast." It could be overrunning for ROC and 64/59 for SNE at the same time. It's too far away to get that cute. I just like the overall look and lack of NAMR blow torch. 

The storm on Nov 30/Dec 1 has the highest cutter potential I think. Trough axis is really far west and a potent shortwave is showing up on all major models.

5 minutes ago, nzucker said:

The storm on Nov 30/Dec 1 has the highest cutter potential I think. Trough axis is really far west and a potent shortwave is showing up on all major models.

Yeah things can still change given we're 10 days out but it's not a good look as of right now. Hopefully it trends flatter into a more overrunning/Miller B setup but I'm not holding my breath on that right now. 

For SNE the best potential is def Nov 26-27 right now. 

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I'd say it's more likely ROC is 64 while we snow to ice in that pattern . With neggy NAO and Epo.. we are fairly protected 

2 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

This picture illustrates our two pacific shortwaves in question for this week's weather, the first one is for Thanksgiving Day and Night and the second shortwave is for later Saturday and Sunday.

Water Vapor Imagery November 20th 2016 2345utc.jpg

No you cant see our weekend one on that image yet. Those are both associated with any Tday threat. They kind of dampen out as they approach us. 

2 hours ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

I agree Nzucker, that looks like the most cutter potential, but the GFS wants it to develop into a miller B storm.

There could be a lot of redevelopers with shortwaves getting forced under the Hudson Bay block. The 18z GFS shows this with the Nov 28th storm as the SLP tries to gain latitude and cut but ends up being a snowstorm.

Not sure of the validity of the weekend threat. 18z wants to develop a full on coastal instead of a Norlun but wave spacing may dictate otherwise...

15 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

NAM is colder air building into the Canadian Prairies and into the central Plains states by 84 hours, could be a sign of SWFEs in the future.

Hard to tell at this early stage but the Dec 4-6 event could be a SWFE with strong troughing in the Desert Southwest and Arctic high pressure in the Plains. Sort of a banana high look.

4 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

I actually think Nzucker, that with the weaker TDAY storm and energy we could have better wave spacing for the weekend threat coastal nor'easter.

Looking a bit more closely, at 96 on the 18z GFS, there's a weak shortwave over PA with much more consolidated energy near the NE/KS border. By 132, the second shortwave has tracked east and blows up a new coastal.

I'd really like the first weak shortwave to be weak and run way out ahead of the main system. There's little chance for the NYC area with the first event. BUT if the initial shortwave drags a weak front through and moves out of the way quickly, the 2nd s/w can dig and tap into deeper cold as the HB block intensifies. Much better chance with the wknd storm than TG.

Interesting thing is the TG/weekend stuff becomes the 50/50 low for the major Nov 28th threat.

Definitely a little band of accumulating snow in the euro for Tday morning across a chunk of interior SNE. Perhaps even to BOS though temps more marginal on coast. Nothing big but an inch or two wouldn't be a shock. It looks like most guidance is cold enough. It's just a matter of qpf. GFS focuses the band of qpf more pike-northward into CNE so we'll have to watch it. 

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Definitely a little band of accumulating snow in the euro for Tday morning across a chunk of interior SNE. Perhaps even to BOS though temps more marginal on coast. Nothing big but an inch or two wouldn't be a shock. It looks like most guidance is cold enough. It's just a matter of qpf. GFS focuses the band of qpf more pike-northward into CNE so we'll have to watch it. 

For two days in a row, I'm finding redemption in posts by Will.  :)

Archived