• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Novie is near, the first un-official month of SNE winter!

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Hmm products I looked at have biggest MSLP anomalies off the MA then CC

Trough axis is pretty far west...obviously this far out plenty of members will show some sort of miller B type solution...but when working with a marginal airmass, there isn't much room for error.

Nov19_12z_ECensembles_2016.png

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Trough axis is pretty far west...obviously this far out plenty of members will show some sort of miller B type solution...but when working with a marginal airmass, there isn't much room for error.

Nov19_12z_ECensembles_2016.png

Yea the problem is so many members that far out always show a weak/OTS solution with little development that the mean can look good while the model is "actually seeing" a cutter.

The Thanksgiving storm is starting to look like a lost cause...we lose the cold airmass Wednesday and end up with a moderating pattern and a low tracking well to the north. Could be decent in ski country but rain for BOS/HFD/NYC.

IF, BIG IF, the TG storm can deepen and amplify, it may pull down the cold and set up a nice scenario for the 28th event. At that point the -NAO block is stronger w a huge high pressure near Baffin Island. We have some fresh cold incoming and a strengthening block instead of the opposite for TG.

The thanksgivng system probably more of a nuisance system for SNE, although might be more of a bigger deal up north. The s/w is sort of shearewd out and results in a strung out and weak low. The weekend system still is up in the air. You have s/w timing issues due to fast flow (and not knowing which s/w is actually the catalyst) and I don't know if we'll see it buckle enough for good cyclogenesis to our SE. However it will be rather cool, so the airmass seems sufficient for a part of the area. 

Going forward, it looks active.  It finally seems like troughing will push int the SW US and Plains. This will also allow for more cold to penetrate the US, but also a cutter risk here so not all frozen it appears. But, it beats a US blowtorch pattern and money will be in the bank down the road. 

48 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The thanksgivng system probably more of a nuisance system for SNE, although might be more of a bigger deal up north. The s/w is sort of shearewd out and results in a strung out and weak low. The weekend system still is up in the air. You have s/w timing issues due to fast flow (and not knowing which s/w is actually the catalyst) and I don't know if we'll see it buckle enough for good cyclogenesis to our SE. However it will be rather cool, so the airmass seems sufficient for a part of the area. 

Going forward, it looks active.  It finally seems like troughing will push int the SW US and Plains. This will also allow for more cold to penetrate the US, but also a cutter risk here so not all frozen it appears. But, it beats a US blowtorch pattern and money will be in the bank down the road.

So true!  All going according to plan in my book.  People forget how early it is .

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Snowy run 

The coming pattern is becoming a little clearer on modeling and allowing me to have some insight into the threats.

TG storm looks like a lost cause for most, but could be a few inches in ski country. The GFS has an inverted trough in Maine for Black Friday but that could change.

The two big windows I see are the Nov 28th coastal, which shows up on both the 12z ECM and GFS. We have a pseudo-NAO block with high heights over Labrador/Hudson Bay and a 50/50 low, the remnants of the TG day stuff. Then, the Nov 30-Dec 1 is a cutter, but it looks to reset the pattern w a PAC ridge/-EPO, which sets the table for a Plains s/w the GFS has developing in NM/CO around 12/3. Still a risk for a cutter though w the broad trough centered to the west.

One potential downfall is that the -NAO west/Labrador block that helps cement the 50/50 low for the Nov 28 system becomes an impediment to cold air filtering down later in the Dec 3-5 time frame. With a sub 500dm PV moving into Canada and a big western ridge, we would normally get the cold, but the block redirects the cold to our southwest. That could hurt the Dec 4-5 threat and subsequent events.

The Sat system is intriguing for eastern areas. Maine especially but E MA should watch it. It's got some classic variables for a potent norlun. (And yes, we know Ray isn't interested)

The ecmwf actually blew it up into a little coastal which would be a more widespread event...but I'd like to see more consistency on that idea before biting  

27 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The Sat system is intriguing for eastern areas. Maine especially but E MA should watch it. It's got some classic variables for a potent norlun. (And yes, we know Ray isn't interested)

The ecmwf actually blew it up into a little coastal which would be a more widespread event...but I'd like to see more consistency on that idea before biting  

As of now you'd think it's 1-3 western SNE with 3-6 as you get out from BOS north 

Archived