• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Fall into Winter!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Syrmax said:

12-18" totals for low elevations of CNY seem too aggressive with 1/3-1/2 of total storm qpf being liquid or basically non-accumulating.  I could more buy 8-12" totals here.

Measured .43 this morning and maybe close to an inch of snow on wood deck. Roads just starting to get greasy. The first storm always gets me. Gotta remember the "what can go wrong" and model bias. With ya on the 8 to 12. Might be hard to measure with the wind. Noticing flake size trying to increase a bit. 

13 minutes ago, phoenixny said:

Measured .43 this morning and maybe close to an inch of snow on wood deck. Roads just starting to get greasy. The first storm always gets me. Gotta remember the "what can go wrong" and model bias. With ya on the 8 to 12. Might be hard to measure with the wind. Noticing flake size trying to increase a bit. 

KBGM radar showing ITH -> BGM area getting rocked.  I have to think it's accumulating there, more so than around here.  Be interesting to see snow totals there. Could be a mini jackpot area. 

17 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

KBGM radar showing ITH -> BGM area getting rocked.  I have to think it's accumulating there, more so than around here.  Be interesting to see snow totals there. Could be a mini jackpot area. 

http://www.weather.gov/bgm/webcam

I would of expected lower visibility with those dark greens for BGM. Both SYR and BGM had heavy snow at 3 pm observation. Should snow non-stop around here until later tomorrow night anyway.

20 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

BGM not even under a lake snow advisory!

I've been right under the heaviest returns in that band around and to the n/w of KBGM. Def 1"hr rates. About 3" since noon I'd say. Thinking we may be getting some additional enhancement off Cayuga Lake. And I'm situated in a valley below 1000ft asl. No doubt some of the surrounding hills have more than my own backyard does.

Eastern end of Ontario picking up pretty good now. We'll see how quickly this stuff accumulates especially now that we've gotten to near sunset. Rain transitioned to snow on the lakeshore a few hours ago, and we're near about an inch now. Visibility has been decent for the most part, but we've dropped below a half mile at times over the last hour. Temperatures range from 32.7 about 50 feet from the lakeshore, to 31.4 at our science building roughly 200 meters from the shoreline. 

Flake size slowly has increased as well. Roads are starting to get covered now as well. 

6 minutes ago, TakeMeToManos said:

Coming down in buckets for the past hour here in Newfield, NY... Five miles southwest of Ithaca.

Can anyone please explain this? Georgian Bay connection my best guess.... Hope it continues!

A combination of Georgian Bay, Ontario, and Slopped with enhanced synoptic moisture.

https://www.facebook.com/NWSBinghamton/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf

It's been snowing all day in Ithaca although there hasn't been much in the way of accumulation. Probably about an inch on grassy surfaces. The lake is keeping temperatures in its immediate vicinity near freezing which is hurting us so far. It's going to come down to the placement of the main streamers tonight and tomorrow; some models have it sitting right overhead.

Archived