Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2016 First Freeze Contest

WxUSAF

On September 25, 2016 at 5:40 PM, WxUSAF said:

Tis the season for the 1st freeze contest!  

You are forecasting the first day the temperature reaches 32F at these locations:

DCA:

BWI:

IAD:

RIC:

Tiebreaker: Number of days with a minimum temperature below 40F at IAD in October

Lowest total departure wins!  This thread will lock at midnight September 30th.  

DCA: 11-5

BWI: 10-23

IAD: 10-22

RIC: 11-2

TB: 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF unlocked this topic

NovaTarHeel winning with a +4 departure for IAD and BWI, but also has 10/29 for DCA which isn't going to work out well.  

mattie g, PivotPoint, and weatherCCB have +6 departures with more competitive dates for DCA and RIC.  

kas80 and Eskimo Joe bringing up the rear.  

11 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

NovaTarHeel winning with a +4 departure for IAD and BWI, but also has 10/29 for DCA which isn't going to work out well.  

mattie g, PivotPoint, and weatherCCB have +6 departures with more competitive dates for DCA and RIC.  

kas80 and Eskimo Joe bringing up the rear.  

I hit Dulles square on the money. I just don't feel too confident about Richmond helping me out. I'll need an expected push of cold air somewhere late in the first week of November to make it respectable. DCA...who the hell knows. Probably should have gone for something around Thanksgiving.

• 3 weeks later...

NovaTarHeel has a commanding lead (only 5 day total departure for RIC, BWI, and IAD), but has a late October DCA freeze date.  PivotPoint and weatherCCB have a departure of 9, and PivotPoint's DCA forecast is the 17th.  H2O's departure is 10, but also a DCA date that's already past.  If the 6z GFS is right and DCA doesn't get a freeze until the ~23rd, BristolWX would win (current departure of 13).  

2 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

DCA is at 35 at 5AM.  I doubt they can make it but if the wind dies down just before sunrise, it might get interesting.

Not going to make it.  34.  Hopefully tonight.  If not, it's probably going to be early December before there's another chance. 

We have a winner!  

BristowWX is the 2016 champion with a  total departure of only 13 days.  

Tina-Fey-giving-herself-high-five.gif

PivotPoint comes in a close second with 15 days, followed by yoda (17 days), and then Bob Chill and myself (18 days).  

BristowWX, EastCoastNPZ, and myself hit DCA exactly right. 

Archived