Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall Foliage 2016

WxUSAF

16 hours ago, ThePhotoGuy said:

Took a drive west today. Color started to get pretty in spots around Frederick. Before that it was mostly green or just bare trees. Color started to show up again just south of Sideling Hill. Really pretty North of Sideling Hill. Still pretty green near Rocky Gap. Some nice color around Accident Maryland. Some decent color around Deep Creek Lake but alot of it has already peaked. 

Going to visit some of the state parks (Swallow Falls) tomorrow near Deep Creek. Any suggestions of spots to visit nearby is greatly appreciated. Not all to familiar with the area. 

I've never driven the road during foliage season, but I can imagine the drive on 135 east out of Oakland would be beautiful.

45 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Bingo.  During the week is a must. Front Royal has turned itself into a traffic nightmare with all the stoplights and 25 mph speed limits posted through the town, as well as the outskirts.  When combined with the leaf peepers, you'd think you were in NOVA.  

Today was supposed to be my day.  Took the day off work, had a family hike planned to Hawksbill and a picnic at Dickey Ridge.  Last night my oldest daughter  came down with a cold from hell (that she picked up at a relatives b-day party on Sat).  She was up most of the night (as was I) and then threw up twice this morning.  Needless to say, a vaca day wasted and the best opportunity for this year missed.  

That absolutely sucks! I hope your daughter feels better soon!!!

I was going to head to Shenandoah/Skyline Dr this week but have gotten busy with a patio installation in my backyard that is taking way longer than expected. I suppose I'll have to wait until next year ;) - I'll probably head to some local parks later this week instead. 

2 hours ago, Kmlwx said:

That absolutely sucks! I hope your daughter feels better soon!!!

I was going to head to Shenandoah/Skyline Dr this week but have gotten busy with a patio installation in my backyard that is taking way longer than expected. I suppose I'll have to wait until next year ;) - I'll probably head to some local parks later this week instead. 

Thanks.  She'll probably be better tomorrow....while I'm at work.  Oh well.  We'll also head to less visited local parks this weekend.  At least at the lower elevations peak will not have passed.  George Washington Nat'l Forest is a great spot out here, but lacks the vistas and waterfalls of SNP.  Hope you enjoy your park outings.

Made it up into SNP this evening.  Practically had the place to ourselves, and did have the entire Dickey Ridge Picnic Area to ourselves.  Stayed until dusk, the solitude was an unexpected treat.  The wind was pretty high, however, and it clouded up before sunset, else would've had a great view from up there.  Color is still not peak, even up there.  I'd estimate maybe mid next week.  A November peak up there is remarkably late.

While out in western Maryland, I made sure that I visited Swallow Falls State Park. It has been on a list of places that I have been wanting to visit. Not much fall color left while I was there.

Muddy Creek Falls - 53 feet tall...

p593851898-3.jpg

The park has some really neat trails to hike on...

p627924992-3.jpg

There a couple more sets of waterfalls along the trail. This is upper Swallow Falls...

p700792646-3.jpg

p714246642-3.jpg

Pretty view looking north of upper Swallow Falls...

p648942051-3.jpg

p944231232-3.jpg

Looking south of upper Swallow Falls..

p873081392-3.jpg

4 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

I think we might be there now.  Good color and they are starting to thin.

Seems things are disjointed this year.  My oak turned brown and was 50% bare before my maples even started.  There's still some bright green trees and others that are in full color and dropping fast.  

5 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Seems things are disjointed this year.  My oak turned brown and was 50% bare before my maples even started.  There's still some bright green trees and others that are in full color and dropping fast.  

Living in the woods with a variety of hardwoods, seems it always goes this way in general. I end up blowing/mulching leaves from early October until early December. I would love it if all the trees were in sync and the leaves all peaked and dropped in a 1 or 2 week period, but its always 6-8 weeks of perpetual falling leaves.

Went to Harper's Ferry today.  Lower elevations like Harper's Ferry and Frederick are near peak, but probably just past with most of the reds faded to a golden orange color.  High elevations in the Catoctins and near Mt. Airy are a solid week+ past peak with quite a bit of leaf drop.  

Archived