Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
September 2016 General Discussion

5 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

It's already well behind schedule.

Virtually no sign of color here heading into the last week of September. Nothing yet even from the usual early changing ones, which typically start showing in late August/early September.

Yep, same here.  The corn has totally changed though.  No green left at all in any fields.  Even the beans are pretty well dried out now.

Picked up 0.51" early this morning.  2.96" for Sep now.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Yep, same here.  The corn has totally changed though.  No green left at all in any fields.  Even the beans are pretty well dried out now.

Picked up 0.51" early this morning.  2.96" for Sep now.

The corn, for the most part, turned quickly because of disease. The humidity and rains have really hammered corn and caused a lot of disease issues this year. 

4 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Definitely seeing the color change start here. On a day to day basis more and more color starts to creep into the landscape. Will be interesting to see if we are well ahead of Chicago as we were last year..was quite a surprise considering the similar latitudes.

Well, I think it matters who you are comparing to.  If you compare your area to Chicago proper, then it's not too surprising that you would run ahead.

7 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Well, I think it matters who you are comparing to.  If you compare your area to Chicago proper, then it's not too surprising that you would run ahead.

True.

In Detroit proper, things are still lush green (aside from the typical patches). I did notice a bit more color change in the NW suburbs, but even then, the landscape was still about 85-90% green.

Those who are ready for fall may finally get the taste they were look for this week though (which should accelerate the color change).

8 hours ago, Chambana said:

At this point the cool down is not welcome. Might as well make a run at the warmest September on record.  CMI hit 92 once again yesterday, making this an official heatwave 

I have no control over the weather, but the only months I prefer record warmth is in April & May. I'll pass, I want my leaves to turn and fall activities to kick off.

15 hours ago, Jonger said:

I have no control over the weather, but the only months I prefer record warmth is in April & May. I'll pass, I want my leaves to turn and fall activities to kick off.

Oh I most definitely agree with you, however my point is we are making a run at the warmest September on record locally, would hate to see it ruined by some shenanigans the last few days of the month.

Im all for fall weather, especially since October starts next week. 

Starting to get that fall feeling outside, corn being harvested, soy beans not far behind, very subtle leaf change, and minor leaf drop. It's getting close guys.

82/71 with a nice southerly breeze.  Strong cool front is approaching, and should blow by during the mid afternoon.  Dews should be down into the 40s 12hrs from now.  Looks like the best chance for storms will be just east, but will be fun to watch the towers blow up nearly overhead in a few hours.  

Just picked up 0.05" from a cell that just popped up.  Storm actually had decent structure, with a tiny little wall cloud that passed right over the house.  After it passed through a 30 second deluge on the back side of the tiny wall cloud, with mostly blue skies across the western sky.  Pretty fascinating little cell.

We are finally done with the warm and fairly humid weather.  We've fallen to 71/61 with a nice westerly breeze.  I am ready for the upcoming stretch of pleasant fall weather.

The Cedar River should crest around 23 ft Tuesday morning, down a couple feet from earlier prediction, but still easily the second highest on record.  The current system pushing through really crapped out so no additional water was added to the basin.

Could really feel the humidity drop an hour or two before sunset.  Before that it was rather stuffy, with temps in the 80s and dews near 70.  Once the gusty westerlies arrived behind the front the air quickly felt air conditioned.  Any sweat that had previously soaked the skin subsequently evaporated away like the declining warm season.

Archived