Newest Member
    joxey
Name that storm

ORH_wxman

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Perhaps the storm that hit a few winters ago.Don't recall year. But I know there was about 8-10" here..but only 1-2" at BDL and MRG NW had nothing.I'm thinking in the last 3-5 years

you might be thinking of the Dec 2009 storm...but that's not it.

13 minutes ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

12/6/81?.  I believe that hit SE areas pretty hard.

Nope. That really hammered eastern MA, but it was more of a retro-storm.

14 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I was gonna guess that, but I had no idea development was so far south. That threw me off.

Primary was up in CLE but it did get a secondary at the sfc which tracked over PYM...which is what kept ORH from ever going above freezing. But the upper levels at 500/700 are classic SWFE

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Primary was up in CLE but it did get a secondary at the sfc which tracked over PYM...which is what kept ORH from ever going above freezing. But the upper levels at 500/700 are classic SWFE

Yeah I remember it tracked near PYM, but never remember a secondary popping over the Delmarva. I thought it formed near LI. 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah I remember it tracked near PYM, but never remember a secondary popping over the Delmarva. I thought it formed near LI. 

Well if you look at the map, it's only one closed isobar at that point and the primary is clearly still dominant. It may vary a bit by reanalysis map. The secondary probably wasn't really well defined until almost reaching us...before that it's almost a CAD meso low.

That last one has quite the potent airmass over James Bay/southern QB. I feel like that SPV should be sticking out in my mind, but nothing's clicking. I'm guessing I smoked subsidence hell. Unless of course it dropped in a la Mar 2001 or something. That didn't have -30C to -35C here though.

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

That last one has quite the potent airmass over James Bay/southern QB. I feel like that SPV should be sticking out in my mind, but nothing's clicking. I'm guessing I smoked subsidence hell. Unless of course it dropped in a la Mar 2001 or something. That didn't have -30C to -35C here though.

Pretty sure you did well in this one, though prob not jackpot.

Here's an image from 6 hours later in the storm:

storm7_6hr.png

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I don't recall what the upper level setup looked like for this, but I know there were records for cold in NNE. Jan 99? This doesn't scream of the cold wedge that one had in PA though...single digits with PL/ZR.

Yeah Jan '99 was ridiculous on the front...but this isn't that storm. I think Jan '99 had a pretty good primary low up into Michigan at one point.

edit: That was one of the few storms I remember having steady snow near 0F in...and we ended up being in the 50s at one point, lol. We didn't get the elusive below 0F and steady snow like we pulled off in 2004 and 2014, but I'm sure just north of here did.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah Jan '99 was ridiculous on the front...but this isn't that storm. I think Jan '99 had a pretty good primary low up into Michigan at one point.

You're talking about the early Jan storm I assume?  That one had a sub 1000 mb that tracked into western MI.  We talk about it from time to time in the Lakes subforum because of how unusual it was in our part of the country.  There was so much antecedent cold that even areas well east of the track (like Detroit) never really changed over from snow, or just changed to a little light sleet/freezing rain/rain at the very end.

Just now, Hoosier said:

You're talking about the early Jan storm I assume?  That one had a sub 1000 mb that tracked into western MI.  We talk about it from time to time in the Lakes subforum because of how unusual it was in our part of the country.  There was so much antecedent cold that even areas well east of the track (like Detroit) never really changed over from snow, or just changed to a little light sleet/freezing rain/rain at the very end.

Yeah Jan 2-3, 1999 I think were the dates for us.

Nope.

One more hint....the storm was a pretty heavy snowfall (generally 8-15" over most of SNE/CNE) but is often overshadowed because it occurred in a great winter and this particular storm didn't give NYC southward much snow.

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Nope.

One more hint....the storm was a pretty heavy snowfall (generally 8-15" over most of SNE/CNE) but is often overshadowed because it occurred in a great winter and this particular storm didn't give NYC southward much snow.

2/4/94?

Archived