Welcome to American Weather
Skivt2

The 2016-17 Ski Season Thread

1,605 posts in this topic

Conditions were overall pretty rugged.  Groomers were nice in the morning but skied off by midday with the holiday weekend crowds.  Ungroomed terrain is pretty much pavement in strength.

Thankfully there is snowmaking.  Really was a game changer on a couple top to bottom routes today. 

Glad we aren't closed.

15937165_10154085540247382_5075446772608

16112638_10154085540307382_3329884067409

16107244_10154085540357382_5574435944944

15975149_10154085540422382_3732838311797

15972342_10154085540467382_4267177281091

15936997_10154085541022382_2246542314786

Did half days at Attitash and Wildcat so far this weekend.  Conditions are not exactly ideal.  Lol.

Groomers were good for a few hours but pretty much hard pack and glare ice on the majority of trails.   At least it's a pack with staying power.  They need a 6"+ event up here for sure. 

LOL at the Jay Peak snow report: 2-3" of snow (hmm... maybe in a drift? I see a dusting at the base and maybe an inch up top), and "Grooming teams are reporting great conditions on trail this morning."

Conditions are just as bad as yesterday, and there are "advanced only skiers" signs all over the mountain. I understand marketing but that's just flat out lying! At least when we left home Bretton Woods was making snow on about 1/2 of the trails. Jay Peak - 1 trail! It could really use a good resurface. 

Great mountain though a bit smaller than I expected and I definitely want to come back when the conditions are better... but wow, whoever does their snow report should be fired.

57 minutes ago, alex said:

LOL at the Jay Peak snow report: 2-3" of snow (hmm... maybe in a drift? I see a dusting at the base and maybe an inch up top), and "Grooming teams are reporting great conditions on trail this morning."

Conditions are just as bad as yesterday, and there are "advanced only skiers" signs all over the mountain. I understand marketing but that's just flat out lying! At least when we left home Bretton Woods was making snow on about 1/2 of the trails. Jay Peak - 1 trail! It could really use a good resurface. 

Great mountain though a bit smaller than I expected and I definitely want to come back when the conditions are better... but wow, whoever does their snow report should be fired.

This has been discussed numerous times here over the last couple years. Seems that certain resorts stretch the truth with regards to conditions and snowfall amounts. 

If you tack an inch on here and inch on there.... by the end of the year you've given yourself an extra 2 feet of snow.. which makes everything look much more favorable.

And the age old conditions look great analysis. I guess if you like crusty man made snow it's great.

My friend send me a snapchat from Breckenridge of the lift lines...to say it was a **** show is an understatement...

20 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

My friend send me a snapchat from Breckenridge of the lift lines...to say it was a **** show is an understatement...

I-70 resorts on mlk weekend...yeah, no thanks. 

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

I-70 resorts on mlk weekend...yeah, no thanks. 

After highly publicized big snows...I heard it was a banner weekend for resorts in all western states per SAM (Ski Area Management) Magazine.

Is there any place to ski in CO that doesn't turn into a ****show? Or has marketing killed that chance?

Bretton Woods did an amazing job grooming and blowing snow during the sh1t show weekend.  Yesterday was soft and fun.  Not much ice.   If you went 6" off the groomed trails you were in trouble.

4 weeks until Brighton/Solitude.  Hopefully the train continues.

13 hours ago, zeepowderhunter said:

Silverton?

12 hours ago, Angus said:

Wolf Creek?

Telluride and Crested Butte are big name places that rarely have long lines too, even on weekends (I encountered maybe a max line of 5 minutes at Telluride last January on a Saturday amidst epic conditions...the weekdays were almost nada)...mostly because they aren't near major interstates....and believe it or not, I've heard Aspen is actually pretty good for avoiding big lines despite the big name appeal. It's not as reliable as the others, but still far enough off the beaten path and crowds spread over 4 resorts that it has a good reputation for lack of lift lines.

2 hours ago, amarshall said:

Bretton Woods did an amazing job grooming and blowing snow during the sh1t show weekend.  Yesterday was soft and fun.  Not much ice.   If you went 6" off the groomed trails you were in trouble.

4 weeks until Brighton/Solitude.  Hopefully the train continues.

LOL, should have stayed home. Jay Peak was a sheet of ice. Good to hear though. 

37 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Becoming almost a daily thing these days...but another epic pounding between now and next Monday for the Sierras.

http://www.rideboreal.com/the-mountain/webcams/mountain

They could get another 6 feet of snow between now and then. 1-2 feet tonight.

borealmtn.png

I mean, they're really being a bit piggish at this point.  Leave some for the rest of us.

16 hours ago, Hitman said:

I mean, they're really being a bit piggish at this point.  Leave some for the rest of us.

30 just overnight at Mammoth

Bolton Valley skied very nicely last night ($20 nigh skiing) As some of the powder was pushed off there were a few spots of the old hard pack exposed but overall it was solid and pretty crowded at that.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Nice pics PF...I love when the trees are all plastered.

Thanks, definitely one of the more photogenic snowfalls of the season.  Every little twig has like several inches on it.

I'm starting to think if we get a windy day we might pick up a fresh 1-2" on the trails and glades just from all the snow sitting in the trees, lol.  That stuff has to go somewhere when it eventually blows off.

On 1/18/2017 at 4:25 PM, ORH_wxman said:

Becoming almost a daily thing these days...but another epic pounding between now and next Monday for the Sierras.

They could get another 6 feet of snow between now and then. 1-2 feet tonight.

For months and months I have been planning to ski at Crystal Mt next week, but finally just threw in the towel and flying to RNO instead. 

7 minutes ago, radarman said:

For months and months I have been planning to ski at Crystal Mt next week, but finally just threw in the towel and flying to RNO instead. 

Lol...I think Crystal would have been pretty darn good...looks like some coldish powder there over the next 5 days, but can't blame you for going where the epicness has occurred. Tahoe's snow is actually going to be pretty powdery during this current stretch. Cold thicknesses for that region. You're gonna see some awesome snow pack too. Alpine already over 200 inches on the month. They have a shot at the monthly record ( I think the record is around 240-250 inches...which they will probably exceed by Monday/Tuesday next week)