Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2016-17 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

43 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Too bad the Blue Canyon ASOS crapped out at 1pm today....in the previous 20 hours, they had gotten over 2.5" of qpf as snow after the changeover, and they are down at 5k feet, so it was likely quite a bit more up around the pass levels. Models were printing out another 5 inches of QPF between tonight and Thursday night.

Damn.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, radarman said:

A Basin had to close early and boot everyone off the mountain today due to avalanche risk at Loveland pass.   They evacuated the entire area.  An avy on Vail Pass closed I70 with up to 15' on the highway.

Crested Butte did the same thing yesterday.  Shut down at 12pm due to heavy snow and rapidly rising avalanche danger.  The comments on Facebook where atrocious...how people can b**ch and moan about that and ask if they will refund lodging and airfare, etc... truly embarrassing.  The mountain would love to stay open but not at the risk of killing a guest in an avalanche or something.  I couldn't believe people weren't understanding this.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Crested Butte did the same thing yesterday.  Shut down at 12pm due to heavy snow and rapidly rising avalanche danger.  The comments on Facebook where atrocious...how people can b**ch and moan about that and ask if they will refund lodging and airfare, etc... truly embarrassing.  The mountain would love to stay open but not at the risk of killing a guest in an avalanche or something.  I couldn't believe people weren't understanding this.

Same thing with people complaining about windholds.  Like the mtn wants to idle lifts.  Stupid.

42 inches new for Alpine Meadows and 80 inches storm total. 164 inches for the month so far 11 days in...not a bad start to January. Imagine if they hadn't changed to rain earlier this week? They might be over 200 inches on the month.

Blizzard conditions continue there. Probably another 1-2 feet until things finally wind down.

43 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

42 inches new for Alpine Meadows and 80 inches storm total. 164 inches for the month so far 11 days in...not a bad start to January. Imagine if they hadn't changed to rain earlier this week? They might be over 200 inches on the month.

Blizzard conditions continue there. Probably another 1-2 feet until things finally wind down.

I gotta say, I'm pretty disappointed in the pics/video come out of tahoe.

12 minutes ago, Hitman said:

I gotta say, I'm pretty disappointed in the pics/video come out of tahoe.

A chunk of the region is without power (and most of the roads have been locked down for days now), so it's probably pretty tough to get a lot of good pics. We'll probably have to wait until Friday to get great pics...some awesome bluebird pics too it should be.

The best webcam I've been watching is the Boreal mountain webcam...it's a good quality cam:

http://www.rideboreal.com/the-mountain/webcams/mountain

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The funny thing is they'll get 15 feet of snow and ski on the top foot since it's so dense.

It ain't going to be 15 feet of Alta pow.  It's more like the ground just came up 15 feet.

Reports are top of Heavenly is well heavenly, it was in the teens for the last 30hrs

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Reports are top of Heavenly is well heavenly, it was in the teens for the last 30hrs

Yeah this final 3+ feet is pretty powdery...but powderfreak's general point is true...it's often that it just brings the whole base up about 80-90% of what the snowfall total was. The first time I skied their in 1994, we had a similar type ending to a storm where the last day was cold...like upper teens to low 20s and the snow was quite powdery. In contrast, when I was skiing there during a big storm in 1999, it was pure man snow, lol.

But this is what makes their skiing so awesome in spring when you have good years...just an obscene base of man snow and you are skiing the trees with zero fear in April/May.

22 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The funny thing is they'll get 15 feet of snow and ski on the top foot since it's so dense.

It ain't going to be 15 feet of Alta pow.  It's more like the ground just came up 15 feet.

True, but they wouldn't have it any other way.  The 15' covers the huge rocks and many trees and puts all sorts of stuff in play.  Fluffy pow pow sucks there until mid season.  At that point yeah, bring it on.

25 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yeah it's amazing I'm sure...crazy good.

It was more tongue-in-cheek and a constant bickering amongst various western skiers/riders in the whose snow is better.  Rocky Mtn skiers always say they like to ski IN the snow not ON the snow like Cascade concrete and Sierra cement.  

Its funny because in a way it's the same "man snow" vs "fluff" argument lol, just among western skiers.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Yeah it's amazing I'm sure...crazy good.

It was more tongue-in-cheek and a constant bickering amongst various western skiers/riders in the whose snow is better.  Rocky Mtn skiers always say they like to ski IN the snow not ON the snow like Cascade concrete and Sierra cement.  

Its funny because in a way it's the same "man snow" vs "fluff" argument lol, just among western skiers.

Did you see the groomed picnic tables/ I really laughed about that today

31 minutes ago, radarman said:

True, but they wouldn't have it any other way.  The 15' covers the huge rocks and many trees and puts all sorts of stuff in play.  Fluffy pow pow sucks there until mid season.  At that point yeah, bring it on.

Yeah that's what they argue and Rocky Mtn skiers argue otherwise haha.  The old Dueling Banjos column in Powder Magazine used to argue both points each winter, it was hilarious.

But the wind also packs it quite a bit.  Like you'll see someone drop into a Squaw Valley bowl after 10 feet of snow and he's ripping it like it's a groomer of wind-buff.  Fat skis help a lot too.

Archived