Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The 2016-17 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Those are amazing shots PF. I guess Bolton is looking like this at the summit today:

Thanks man, yeah today was one of those where the snowboard said 6" but it skied like 10".  

Also makes me chuckle because we talked about how the hyped events (like the one on Monday) never seem to be as big as something like a mundane Arctic FROPA or some energy moving through aloft with upslope flow.  

Everyone goes nuts for the storms that have Warnings or Advisories but our best snows come from this little stuff like last night.  That brought better skiing than the Monday thing that was tracked for a week.  

Its like we've had a cumulative 5 feet (60" exactly) so far in December above mid-mtn, and how many synoptic snows were there?  Two?  Haha.

Thanks man, yeah today was one of those where the snowboard said 6" but it skied like 10".  

Also makes me chuckle because we talked about how the hyped events (like the one on Monday) never seem to be as big as something like a mundane Arctic FROPA or some energy moving through aloft with upslope flow.  

Everyone goes nuts for the storms that have Warnings or Advisories but our best snows come from this little stuff like last night.  That brought better skiing than the Monday thing that was tracked for a week.  

For me snow squalls will always be a favorite.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Berkshire East buy one get one tomorrow.    They didn't open after the 6-8" on Monday, and presumably have been making snow.  The track should be fast and maybe with some fluff overnight.  Dress warm :)  

Another thump coming, snowmaking M-Tu?, their base should be in pretty good shape to withstand some warm wx, low sun angle, short days.

skied at Cannon today, they reported 3" new this morning but the top of mountain probably received 5-6". very cold in afternoon, wind wasn't bad until PM either. Basically, they had left the mountain or at least the trails I skied ungroomed so it was boot/mid-calf high all day. They have a a significant amount of terrain open - Vista Way was covered which is rare early season especially on a windy day. Snowed on and off throughout day but the sun sneaked out and saw blue sky's with nice views of Franconia Ridge and what I believe was the Pilot Range covered in white. Road up lift with a patroller who was marvelling at the results of the snowmaking investment...they have made a ton a snow.

Anyone planning to ski in the rain on Sunday?  I can't make it for Saturday but thinking that getting some turns in at Crotched should still be worthwhile.  I'm guessing there will be 5-6 inches of dense but wet snow by 10am Sunday which should make for interesting conditions.  Am I crazy or will Sunday be a decent day on the hill?  I've got decent rain gear...

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Yesterday's Mansfield Coop data showed a snow depth of 40" at the fabled stake (installed 1954) for the first time since the 2014-2015 season. 

Last year's max depth was 38" on April 10th.  Well done Mother Nature on getting us to 40" by mid-December.

15400558_10102778365754620_9988828849531

This year compared to last winter.

15433769_10102778433059740_1690195351348

I look at this post, and never in a million years would I believe this could happen...kinda makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit

Another sick day on the hill.  Bummer the brief rain is going to crust stuff up...the woods are in such great shape.

The snowpack is so good for mid-December just because its top-to-bottom.  Still sitting at 20" at 1,550ft (every event just seems to compress the snowpack and not build it further, lol) and 40" up high. 

This photo is from 2,500ft...which seemed to have 30-36" on the ground based on pole depth checks.  Not bad for mid-mountain status.

15585010_10102781340657890_6842180574171

Posted in the obs thread too....

Only 4.5" at the 3,000ft snow board for this event, congrat's to those down south who hit warning criteria, fun stuff!  Today's snow brought us to 110" on the season at that elevation.

Bummer the snow train is about to come to an end for a little while.  9 straight days of 1" or more and 14 of 16 days with 1"+. 

Averaging 4" per day so far in December...but that average is about to take a hit it seems.  Enjoyed the deep winter today though.  Photo is my buddy's.

December_17_JoshA_zpsrohddgac.jpg

1 hour ago, Skivt2 said:

Based on my view out the window this morning, after days of powder skiing, skiing in VT just took a huge hit.  Very unfortunate timing.  Grinch. Natural trails went from beautiful to bare patches overnight.  Praying for snow before my two week vacation starting the day after Xmas. 

I just bailed on vt and made reservations at snowbird.

3 hours ago, Skivt2 said:

Based on my view out the window this morning, after days of powder skiing, skiing in VT just took a huge hit.  Very unfortunate timing.  Grinch. Natural trails went from beautiful to bare patches overnight.  Praying for snow before my two week vacation starting the day after Xmas. 

Huge hit in surface conditions but not in melt... I'm not seeing much change in snow depths except it consolidated.  Going to be a sweet base.  I could still ski the trees right to the parking lot right now if I wanted to...depth at the base is down from 20" to 17".  THe stake up top will take a bigger hit probably as it was more fluffy powder.  But not seeing bare spots or anything.  Still buried.  8 hours of above freezing isn't going to melt this.

5 hours ago, Skivt2 said:

Natural trails went from beautiful to bare patches overnight.

It’s possible that things went a lot worse down south.  Based on what I’m seeing here at the house and PF’s comments – if a trail went to bare patches it would have had to be in a really marginal state to begin with.

6 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

It’s possible that things went a lot worse down south.  Based on what I’m seeing here at the house and PF’s comments – if a trail went to bare patches it would have had to be in a really marginal state to begin with.

Same here. The only bare patches I see are the paths that I snowblow to the shed. Of course my yard is level ground for the most part but the snow is still solid and the temps are starting to drop. 

6 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Yeah, the snow loss itself hasn't been that much.  Its the surface conditions that are taking a big hit but not snowpack.

There's just more liquid content in it now which is better for the base in the long run anyway.  Put 10" of snow on top of this and we are skiing everything again.  The only reason a bunch of trails will be closed tomorrow here is because it wasn't groomed and its now rock hard.

A nice period of snow though it stopped after a dusting.

The-snow-has-begun-to-fall-once-again-as

3 hours ago, mreaves said:

Same here. The only bare patches I see are the paths that I snowblow to the shed. Of course my yard is level ground for the most part but the snow is still solid and the temps are starting to drop. 

Significantly different story in killington.  At Killington the trail count dropped in half.  The woods which were never really ready (although we were venturing in there) are certainly not skiable now.  As way of explaining, we had essentially bare ground on natural trails on 12/9.  Over the course of the following week we got enough snow to poach if you were willing to jump open water bars and watch carefully for rocks.  Last week the snow that fell made pretty much all open trails skiable as long as you could deal with frozen but not filled in water bars and could watch for the occasional rock. Yesterday we were finally in business.  It was the best day down here in a couple years. Today we have natural trails that are basically about 40% bare.  Devastating is an accurate way to describe the hit we took.  I imagine it's a big difference between northern VT and central VT since we never had the snowpack you guys had up there.  

Archived