joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2016 General Discussion

Powerball

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hoosier must had a hand in writing the long term discussion for Northern Indiana this afternoon....

Otherwise, cooler and less humid air will be over the area this
weekend along with dry weather. Temperatures will rise back above
normal by the middle of next with highs around 90 next Wednesday.
Concern that abnormally dry conditions may become a moderate drought
in some areas. The Fort Wayne airport has received only 1.12 inches
of rain since June 27 which is the third lowest during the past 100
years during this period. 

Meanwhile, down here 20 miles southwest of the airport, I had over 3" in July.

Very enjoyable summer so far. A bit on the dry side and generally quite Zzzz on the severe front but can't complain about the amount of sunshine and toasty days. 

I'd suspect the drought has actually helped keep dew points down this year; so far we've really only had 2-3 days of oppressive dew points all summer. 

Yeah I'd give the summer an A to be sure.  Have had plenty of storm action, and plenty of rain.  Lack of intense heat for the 3rd summer in a row, but the extreme humidity we've seen at times made up for that if you're into heat.  Derecho season was a bit on the meh side compared to some years, but the numerous non-severe convective events kept things pretty interesting for the most part.

Yeah I'd give the summer an A to be sure.  Have had plenty of storm action, and plenty of rain.  Lack of intense heat for the 3rd summer in a row, but the extreme humidity we've seen at times made up for that if you're into heat.  Derecho season was a bit on the meh side compared to some years, but the numerous non-severe convective events kept things pretty interesting for the most part.

1 hour ago, harrisale said:

Very enjoyable summer so far. A bit on the dry side and generally quite Zzzz on the severe front but can't complain about the amount of sunshine and toasty days. 

Id suspect the drought has actually helped keep dew points down this year; so far we've really had 2-3 days of oppressive dew points all summer. 

Yep, Definitely A+ from me as well. Hot/sunny days and warm muggy nights. Endless beach days, swims, and late night bonfire/pool parties. Not one complaint. I save nearly all of my vacation from May-August to enjoy as many days as I can. Don't mind working when its cold/rain/snowy out.

14 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

I'm glad to see the previously dry part of Iowa down through Missouri get some good rain.  However, it has now been two weeks since our last rainfall and the lawns are browning a bit, so I'm hoping Thursday evening delivers.

lol, man I'd kill to see the lawns brown.  Been mowing every 3-4 days since June.

1 hour ago, IWXwx said:

Sweet shots bo. I love winter, but this is my favorite time of the year to visit Northern MI/UP for the scenery.

late summer time is good. there's places you can get to that you can't in the winter, although tourist seem to hug the 41 corridor and all the traps.  the Huron's are vast, rugged, people free... a great area to experience a true north wilderness feel.  A couple weeks of mid winter in a 200" snow belt blows away anything summer can offer (imo).

7 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

lol, man I'd kill to see the lawns brown.  Been mowing every 3-4 days since June.

Amazing the differences in the eastern and western halves of the sub this summer. I've only mowed the lawn once here since June 1st. Been brown with hints of green and little growth for weeks.

West seems to have had all the precipitation.

3 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

ORD topped out at 90 yesterday.

Looks like another one on the way today.

IND has hit 90 17 times this year. They look to tack on a couple of more today and tomorrow, and yet at least a couple more mid week next week. I believe to normal is 13 days.

24 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

IND has hit 90 17 times this year. They look to tack on a couple of more today and tomorrow, and yet at least a couple more mid week next week. I believe to normal is 13 days.

Really?  I would've guessed higher for IND.  I think ORD's average is like 17 or so. 

5 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Really?  I would've guessed higher for IND.  I think ORD's average is like 17 or so. 

Made me look. It's actually 14.6 days per year. I'm also surprised that Chicago's number is higher.

EDIT: Not sure if they made it today. They had two 89 hourlies, then got hit with a t-storm, which knocked them back. They could have had a DTW bump special.

It's been a hot summer here. 

Today was Cleveland's 17th day of 90 or above (normal is 9). If the past 30 days were a month it would be the second hottest on record. CLE has had 19 consecutive days with an above normal high temperature above 83.

Archived