SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April 24-30th Severe Potential

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, we really need either the wave to speed up (even by just 2-3 h) or the dryline to pull back further west, relative to something like the 12z NAM solution. I wouldn't take its lack of CI before 00z too literally, given how poorly the BMJ scheme has performed in dryline setups similar to this. What does concern me a bit that we might actually have problems getting multiple storms by late afternoon is the 00z ECMWF also being stingy (it had one QPF swath in S KS that starts out quite early, well before 21z, and then not much else until after 00z). At 84 h lead time, though, it could be much worse than worrying about minor timing details like this. Virtually every other facet of the setup is locked and loaded.

EDIT: 23/12z GFS is definitely faster. Simply textbook... wow. One of the closest matches to the 26 April 1991 synoptic pattern I can remember seeing on the models outside fantasyland.

Yeah, we really need either the wave to speed up (even by just 2-3 h) or the dryline to pull back further west, relative to something like the 12z NAM solution. I wouldn't take its lack of CI before 00z too literally, given how poorly the BMJ scheme has performed in dryline setups similar to this. What does concern me a bit that we might actually have problems getting multiple storms by late afternoon is the 00z ECMWF also being stingy (it had one QPF swath in S KS that starts out quite early, well before 21z, and then not much else until after 00z). At 84 h lead time, though, it could be much worse than worrying about minor timing details like this. Virtually every other facet of the setup is locked and loaded.

EDIT: 23/12z GFS is definitely faster. Simply textbook... wow. One of the closest matches to the 26 April 1991 synoptic pattern I can remember seeing on the models outside fantasyland.

The 12z GFS has the 500mb wind max moving more quickly into the warm sector. The effective shear in the area of interest (north OK forecast sounding) increased from 33kt to 45kt from the 00z to 12z GFS.

The placement of the system is significantly different on the Euro.  The Euro is eerily similar to May 3rd while the GFS has it 200+ miles further north.  Chinook I would guess the GFS will become slightly faster with some of those features over the next 48 hours just based on what I've seen in the past.  Any thoughts as it relates to the current depiction of timing differences from the GFS?

12Z GFS soundings still showing some very ominous analogs; KS/OK border at 00z.

12_GFS_084_36.84,-97.13_severe_ml.png

I think 24hrs from now when things are fully sampled we'll have a pretty good idea of how this will shake out.  The differences between the NAM/GFS/Euro is pretty significant at this point and the displaced upper air features are still concerning me.

I mean regardless there will be a robust severe threat Tues but the degree and intensity of the tornado threat is def contingent on the placement, strength, and timing of the upper jet core. I am learning towards a late chase kind of day but if we can see the system speed up a bit that will def shift things towards late afternoon instead of evening.

Starting to wonder about the possibility of a D3 MDT for somewhere in KS/OK.

Not sure if they'll have enough data at midnight to make that call but certainly seems like a real possibility.  Issues with some divergence between surface and upper air features will probably prevent it...

Not sure if they'll have enough data at midnight to make that call but certainly seems like a real possibility. Issues with some divergence between surface and upper air features will probably prevent it...

well the D3 is issued at 0730Z.

well the D3 is issued at 0730Z.

Ok so 2:30am...not sure they'll have the data from the fully sampled system at that point...maybe they will but I would suspect if things don't come into a little closer alignment we'll have an enhanced risk.

Chasing on the KS/OK border tomorrow most likely but may end up further southwest depending on how things evolve. Keeping a small eye on Monday while obviously chasing on Tuesday. Time will tell if the dryline or triple point end up being the play. Unless it looks like a relatively minor event in Central Oklahoma I'll probably chase around here. Last time I went north my apartment almost got taken out by a multi-vortex. 

Starting to wonder about the possibility of a D3 MDT for somewhere in KS/OK.

Doubtful. I think it'll go D3 Enhanced -> D2 Moderate to probably an upper-end moderate until at least 1630z on D1 if trends continue the way they have been. SPC seems generally more hesitant to pull the trigger on outlooks than they have been in the past. I'd say the addition of the Enhanced category as well as the fact that they pulled the trigger on a couple of events last May that they wound up having to back off of after junk convection and other limiting factors put a lid on those events may be leading to that. 

If I had to guess, and also what I would do if it were my call, as things stand: D3 ENH, likely leading into a D2 MDT. This isn't a slam-dunk yet. The 12z ECMWF and 18z NAM show a very anemic LLJ that, if it verified verbatim, would put a pretty big damper on all the outbreak talk. The timing of the shortwave(s) ejecting needs to be sorted out, and it's clear that an unfavorable timing capable of mitigating the threat considerably is still within the envelope of solutions, even if it isn't the most likely solution.

If I had to guess, and also what I would do if it were my call, as things stand: D3 ENH, likely leading into a D2 MDT. This isn't a slam-dunk yet. The 12z ECMWF and 18z NAM show a very anemic LLJ that, if it verified verbatim, would put a pretty big damper on all the outbreak talk. The timing of the shortwave(s) ejecting needs to be sorted out, and it's clear that an unfavorable timing capable of mitigating the threat considerably is still within the envelope of solutions, even if it isn't the most likely solution.

Forbes must of saw something today.  Tues/Wed went from "tornado outbreak," (From his previous forecast) to more of a "Limited tornado outbreak." (With his current forecast)

Not really enthused regarding how occluded the trough is by 00z Wed on most of the recent guidance, would imply lesser wind fields and likely issues with the vertical wind profile.

My thoughts exactly. There's still plenty of time to sort these details out, but from a large-scale perspective, this issue is essentially a manifestation of the nagging eastern troughing (and associated short wavelengths). There's probably a reason why that doesn't show up on many, if any, of the top-tier, synoptically-evident Plains outbreaks like Andover.

Wind profiles in the 00Z NAM are a bit tamer than the 18Z which was tamer than the 12Z...LI's improve along with a few other parameters, 700mb looks pretty solid over the instability but the 500s are off and coming in with a bit too much southerly component...

Archived