joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 24-30th Severe Potential

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18Z NAM is much more impressive across the dryline in OK and near the triple-point. It is a tad further west, so it keeps I-35 in play. This is at 03Z in NC OK... The best window for tornadoes may be relatively confined to a few hours though, as VBV becomes an issue later on in the night it appears.

Lets see if it holds for more than one run.  Maybe the 00Z will back it up.

4km NAM cracks me up

RfJPKIa.png

What location is that?  Thats bonkers...

I've struggled to understand that. Why have a model that everyone agrees sucks? Why not tweak the math so that it's more accurate? I don't get it...

They tweak these models every year or so... Sometimes the tweaks work sometimes they don't. I remember a couple of years ago that the 4km NAM was much better.

Just curious, why do you constantly say stuff like this? Of course it likely won't verify, but it's fun to post about. My 2 cents.

Because it kind of gets old after awhile.

Models were overestimating the dewpoints by at least 5 degrees in many spots today, otherwise that Ellsworth cell would likely be producing right now.

I saw a sounding on the 4k that had 7k CAPE on Twitter somewhere. 

The NAM-4km simulates individual storms. Just a few miles away from these storms, the dew point is higher than the rest of the area, and the winds may be shifted. This may make for some very high CAPE, high 3km SRH soundings that don't represent the environment. In reality, outflows can stabilize the environment near a storm. Higher dew points from the storm evaporation/outflow may increase CAPE if it gets into a warmer area. If you stay away from EHI "bullseyes" on the 4km NAM, the environment soundings can be reasonable, or perhaps the CAPE may be a bit higher than reality. And remember, the high-res models get worse and worse with synoptic features with time, more so than the synoptic-scale models. This is why the 60hr radar reflectivity forecast and CAPE forecast on the 4km NAM may be significantly wrong.

They tweak these models every year or so... Sometimes the tweaks work sometimes they don't. I remember a couple of years ago that the 4km NAM was much better.

Yeah I distinctly remember relying on it with great success, then last year in particular it wasn't very good, doesn't seem to be off to a good start this year either.

It had a nice radar presentation for a while as well, though not as much anymore.

c41f9549e31c0689084e6123f45902ec.jpg

Interestingly, despite the 77/60 ob at SLN, the wall cloud is basically scraping the ground it appears. EDIT: Might've just had a skewed view... hard to tell.

preliminary tornado report from Glendale

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 600 PM CDT FOR

NORTHWESTERN SALINE COUNTY...

AT 520 PM CDT...A CONFIRMED TORNADO WAS LOCATED 4 MILES SOUTH OF

GLENDALE...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 30 MPH.

HAZARD...DAMAGING TORNADO AND TWO INCH HAIL.

SOURCE...STORM CHASER CONFIRMED TORNADO.

IMPACT...FLYING DEBRIS WILL BE DANGEROUS TO THOSE CAUGHT WITHOUT

SHELTER. MOBILE HOMES WILL BE DAMAGED OR DESTROYED. DAMAGE

TO ROOFS...WINDOWS...AND VEHICLES WILL OCCUR. TREE DAMAGE IS

LIKELY.

THIS TORNADO WILL BE NEAR...

SALINA AROUND 545 PM CDT.

OTHER LOCATIONS IMPACTED BY THIS TORNADIC THUNDERSTORM INCLUDE

GLENDALE.

GRLevel3 can now show a hydrometeor-classification of "large hail" and "giant hail" for the KICT radar only. More details (GRLevel3 owner forum)

http://www.grlevelx.com/owners/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=9704

Thanks for posting that. Maroon = large hail (1-2"), yellow = giant hail (2"+). 

Relevant papers for anyone interested:

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/full/10.1175/JAMC-D-13-073.1

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/full/10.1175/JAMC-D-13-074.1

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/full/10.1175/JAMC-D-15-0203.1

post-28-0-55535500-1461537471_thumb.png

Archived