• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    maley.chris78@gmail.com
    Newest Member
    [email protected]
BuffaloWeather

Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Spring into Summer!

We'll ruin the streak of 70F days tomorrow around here, especially with synoptic winds out of the north. Should bounce back pretty quickly later in the week. Headed to Albany on Thursday, looks like great weather. 

Pretty awesome news from Buffalo NWS. Faster radar updates.

New for this year, we'll be able to get even faster updates from the radar! We used to get base level radar images every 4 to 5 minutes during active weather. Software updates last year brought that number down to around 2 minutes. Starting this year, we'll be able to get updates as frequently as every 1 to 1.5 minutes!

We tested this out yesterday with a few storms in the area, and this video shows the difference between about 70 second updates on the left and what the same storm would have looked like with 4 to 5 minute updates on the right.

The benefit to these faster updates will allow us to better track fast evolving storms, changes in storm intensity, quick spin-up tornadoes, and microbursts.

https://www.facebook.com/NWSBuffalo/videos/1257839344245751/

This is easily the schittiest spring I can remember.  Just relentless garbage week after week.  

May looks more like april esp. thru the first 10 days or so...cool showery/rainy at times. At least the rainfall is welcome.

Another 10 days of pure crap in store.  Pretty soon it will be winter again.  Really can't put to words how obnoxious this spring is.  

Very Halloween-ish feel out there this afternoon.

Still no leaves on most of the trees.

Gusty NW wind, grey cumulus, 49F.

Did not make me think May!

Don't see any Spring until at least last week of this month. Also for may will be quite stormy, especially the last 10 days... days to watch circa 22-23 May and again around the 30th, which could be very (convectively) stormy for the NEUS.

Don't see any Spring until at least last week of this month. Also for may will be quite stormy, especially the last 10 days... days to watch circa 22-23 May and again around the 30th, which could be very (convectively) stormy for the NEUS.

I would love to get some nice thunderstorms. It was 80-90 and sunny everyday down in southern Florida. Aside from Weds in which we had 8 hours of constant thunderstorms with a Severe tstorm warning embedded. Can't wait to get some storms here.

I would love to get some nice thunderstorms. It was 80-90 and sunny everyday down in southern Florida. Aside from Weds in which we had 8 hours of constant thunderstorms with a Severe tstorm warning embedded. Can't wait to get some storms here.

Be careful what you wish for! LOL 

Be careful what you wish for! LOL 

Our worst thunderstorm around here is weak compared to pretty much anywhere else in this country.  Bring it on, the stronger the better.

But first, it looks like some elevation dependent snow for some this weekend.  Would be one of the latest snowfalls in this area that I have ever experienced (aside from the 3 foot memorial day storm that whiteface got 3 years ago, but that was extremely localized).

This is the year without spring for sure, very depressing. It killed two of my bee hives that survived the winter (which is also why I have been so pissed about this crappy weather)

eps breaks down the block post day 10...puts some heat in the midwest/lakes.  Looks like an active thunderstorm pattern.  Im flying in at the end of May so I'm hoping I can get some thunderstorms and heat while I'm home. 

What an absolute debacle of cosmic proportions incoming this weekend.  Let's see, how can we make a mid-May northwest flow cold mauling with 850 mb temperatures dubbed by BUF as being "in the coldest 99.5 percentile" possibly any worse?  I know, time it so the Canadian archipelago sourced cold air slap arrives at dawn on a Saturday.  And keep it churning through the daylight hours on Sunday. Throw in some lake effect rain, snow, shnizzle, and whatever else decides to spawn from the "relatively warm" eastern GL's, and we're really in business.  One month from the freaking summer solstice.  

Of course, it could always be worse.  We could live in some arctic ice box like Ft. Yukon, Alaska.  Lucky we're not there this weekend, check out this forecast for tomorrow:   

Saturday

Sunny. Highs in the upper 60s to mid 70s. North winds 5 to 15 mph.

I'm not too bothered by the chill. The precip threat in WNY (such as it was) hasn't really resulted in much, and there's now some sunshine. So it's just an indoor May weekend, if it were a warm washout it would have the same practical effect.

The inland freeze chance on the other hand... hope no one jumped the gun on early planting.

Tornado warning just south of the border.

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 445 PM EDT FORNORTHEASTERN CRAWFORD AND SOUTHEASTERN ERIE COUNTIES...AT 420 PM EDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADOWAS LOCATED NEAR CANADOHTA LAKE...OR 23 MILES NORTHEAST OFMEADVILLE...MOVING EAST AT 45 MPH.HAZARD...TORNADO AND QUARTER SIZE HAIL.SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED ROTATION.