• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Spring into Summer!

17 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

Scratch that lol Found something similar under "spotters" Still can't find the page that showed "seasonal snowfall" but this will do B)

Yeah my link with that saved data doesn't work anymore either. What URL did you find with similar info so I can Bookmark? This website isn't band for the main reporting sites.

http://w2.weather.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=buf

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Lake Erie deepest parts are the ones that freeze last. Our lake effect season last another few weeks than those in Ohio does. About 30 miles offshore from between Dunkirk and Hamburg has the deepest parts with the maximum depth being 210 feet.

Awesome images - thanks for posting these.  

1 hour ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Awesome images - thanks for posting these.  

No problem. I'm always trying to learn more information about the Great Lakes region. It really is a unique place in the world. 6 quadrillion gallons of fresh water; one-fifth of the world's fresh surface water (only the polar ice caps and Lake Baikal in Siberia contain more)

1 hour ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Lake Erie has been absolutely shredding convection in my area the last 2 days (really the last 2+ months for that matter - I can't have more than 1.5" of rain since mid June).  

The rain shadow has been in full effect, but it's been raining all day here off and on. Lots of thunder and a few strikes.

Incredible severe thunderstorm on Lake Canadarago in northern Otsego County 90 minutes ago.

We were at our cabin, looking west across the lake.

The leading edge looked like a blast wave from a bomb as it whipped across the lake from the west.

We were hit with gusts that I would estimate 60-70 MPH.  Multiple trees down.  Took our 40 pound double kayak from face down and flipped it face up.  Should be some good severe reports from that one. The only comparable experience I have had with a thunderstorm was in the Adirondack derecho in 1995.

That 0.01-0.10 area aligns nicely with the predominantly SW wind from the last couple days.

I wonder if the degree of the drought in the lee of Lake Erie is due in part to very persistent lake breezes resulting from considerably higher than normal surface temps. I hate hot summers.

image.jpeg

9 hours ago, WNash said:

That 0.01-0.10 area aligns nicely with the predominantly SW wind from the last couple days.

I wonder if the degree of the drought in the lee of Lake Erie is due in part to very persistent lake breezes resulting from considerably higher than normal surface temps. I hate hot summers.

image.jpeg

It's easier to warm the air when the ground is dry in cmoparison to a wet ground. Just like water is harder to heat up than air is. It's been a pretty persistant SW wind this summer. Figures we get it when we don't want it. ^_^

As we know we will be entering a La Nina during the Fall/Winter period this year and early next. The strength of the La Nina is still unknown, but here is the data for La Ninas following Ninos.

La Ninas following El Ninos, since 1950:

1954-55- 84.8

1964-65- 70.9

1970-71- 97.0

1973-74- 88.7

1988-89- 67.4

1995-96- 141.4

1998-99- 100.5

2007-08- 103.8

2010-11- 111.8

Average: 96.3"

Cool neutral or weak Nina following El Nino, since 1950:

1954-55- 84.8

1959-60- 115.6

1964-65- 70.9

1966-67- 66.1

1980-81- 60.9

1983-84- 132.5

1995-96- 141.4

2005-06- 78.2

Average: 93.8"

Cool neutral or weak Nina following strong El Nino, since 1950:

1966-67-66.1

1983-84- 132.5

Average: 99.3"

Total Average: 96.5"

Safe to say that a normal Buffalo winter in the snowfall department is likely.

Hazardous weather outlook 

.STRONG TO SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WITH DAMAGING WINDS AND LOCALLY
HEAVY RAINFALL ARE POSSIBLE BY MID TO LATE THIS AFTERNOON...

AN AREA OF SHOWERS WILL LIFT NORTH ACROSS THE REGION THIS MORNING
GIVING WAY TO SOME CLEARING ACROSS THE REGION BY LATE MORNING AND
EARLY AFTERNOON. IF ENOUGH CLEARING AND DAYTIME HEATING CAN
OCCUR... THEN STRONG TO SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WILL LIKELY DEVELOP.
THE POTENTIAL FOR THE STRONGEST STORMS WILL BE ACROSS THE NORTHERN
FINGER LAKES REGION EASTWARD TOWARD THE SOUTHERN TUG HILL REGION.
WHILE THE PRIMARY THREAT ACROSS THE REGION WILL BE DAMAGING
STRAIGHT LINE WINDS AND LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL... THERE IS A LOW
POTENTIAL FOR AN ISOLATED TORNADO FOR LOCATIONS SOUTHEAST OF LAKE
ONTARIO.

severe thunderstorm watches in Ontario attm are going south of a line from Sarnia to Barrie to Brockville and Cornwall, with the main risks being heavy downpours and high wind gusts, and a slight risk of a Tornado (sfc low at 15Z in Southern Lake Huron west of Goderich). my opinion, given the satellite presentation attm, I'm thinking the highest risk for severe will be east of a line from Delhi/Hamilton to the Niagara River, just because it's looking like they'll be most likely to get the thermal boost to go along with the synoptic support with breaks in the clouds. The other areas of the watch (London, K-W, Toronto, Peterborough, Kingston, Brockville) look a lot more dependent on trying to get the sun either to break though in those areas, or close enough to the areas that they increase the thermal gradient on the warm front.

thoughts before the storms better organize for most of upstate NY with the cold front?

I'm in your prime area in central Otsego County.

We had about 5 minutes of sun earlier.  Now overcast, intermittent drizzle and light rain.

When these scenarios go bust for us (as they usually do, this not being Oklahoma) it's because we can't clear out and get the sun to heat and destabilize things.

So if I don't see some sun soon I will be pessimistic about anything other than garden variety thunderstorms later.

3 minutes ago, Jim Marusak said:

also, question for the crowd, if they are watching. odds on supplemental raobs being sent up at BUF/PIT/IAD/ALB at 18/21Z for supplemental analysis?

I ended up throwing toronto to just south of cornwall in the tornado risk this morning. Not looking quite as good attm as the effective warm front looks a bit more south now.

6 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

I ended up throwing toronto to just south of cornwall in the tornado risk this morning. Not looking quite as good attm as the effective warm front looks a bit more south now.

I could see why you did it, and I wouldn't give up on that quite yet. yea, the odds are dipping a bit with the cloud cover as of 16z. but with the latest 17Z visible satellite shot in, it looks like some sun is getting into southern Halton/Peel Regions as well as trying to poke into southern Durham region and even towards Etobicoke. Going to be close to see how this develops. the 17Z and 18Z obs may be the tellers for the rest of the day here. waiting on the 17z attm in Southern Ontario.

Archived