• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wild Weekend Weather- Disco 04/02-/04/03

Damage In Tolland

Pretty sharp kink at H7 on a lot of guidance which suggests there could be a pretty good burst of steady snow near and just north of that...those unstable soundings would promote some intense pockets.

Obviously this type of setup we'll know more about once we get it inside of 36 hours.

can you tell me what exactly this kink is?  (I feel like a novice in this discussion)

• Replies 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

can you tell me what exactly this kink is?  (I feel like a novice in this discussion)

Here's the 12z GGEM....I circled the kink in the H7 heights in red in the lower left...it's basically a mid-level center trying to form, but it's still an open wave

Mar31_12z_GGEM.png

This has instability like a WINDEX event, but this is a little different. That's usually with a cold front or trough. This is low pressure forming along a boundary associated with very strong dynamics moving in aloft. You are actually generating some inflow aloft unlike a WINDEX event.  I think any winds would occur at tail end of squall or more likely, after it departs.

This has instability like a WINDEX event, but this is a little different. That's usually with a cold front or trough. This is low pressure forming along a boundary associated with very strong dynamics moving in aloft. You are actually generating some inflow aloft unlike a WINDEX event.  I think any winds would occur at tail end of squall or more likely, after it departs.

Stinger

Yeah that's a heck of a look, Will.

Too bad it probably won't verify just like that....but if it did, we're talking like a 3-5 hour blizzard over most of SNE. Probably extremely high impact flash freeze type stuff...something most people wouldn't expect on April 3rd. Luckily, it would be about the most favorable time possible to avoid commute issues...early on a Sunday morning.

Too bad it probably won't verify just like that....but if it did, we're talking like a 3-5 hour blizzard over most of SNE. Probably extremely high impact flash freeze type stuff...something most people wouldn't expect on April 3rd. Luckily, it would be about the most favorable time possible to avoid commute issues...early on a Sunday morning.

It's going to depend on the strength of that s/w...but if that maintains...I certainly would respect the hi res in this situation.

It's going to depend on the strength of that s/w...but if that maintains...I certainly would respect the hi res in this situation.

Yeah if we maintain the shortwave strength and general track for another few cycles, then I agree the hi-res will probably do the best in this setup since we're definitely going to be dealing with non-hydrostatic processes in that setup...but obviously we're still out in that 60-66 hour timeframe where they aren't so useful yet.

But the NAM shows you the type of potential this system has if things track "perfectly"...we've said it has potential for some pretty interesting stuff. That would probably be the higher end...like getting a quick 6" of snow in 4 hours or something. Obviously you have to put the probability at such an outcome pretty low in this timeframe.

Yeah if we maintain the shortwave strength and general track for another few cycles, then I agree the hi-res will probably do the best in this setup since we're definitely going to be dealing with non-hydrostatic processes in that setup...but obviously we're still out in that 60-66 hour timeframe where they aren't so useful yet.

But the NAM shows you the type of potential this system has if things track "perfectly"...we've said it has potential for some pretty interesting stuff. That would probably be the higher end...like getting a quick 6" of snow in 4 hours or something. Obviously you have to put the probability at such an outcome pretty low in this timeframe.

Yeah of course. The track certainly will dictate the outcome. But I'm intrigued for sure. Even a tempered NAM solution would be cool.

Archived