Newest Member
    joxey
La Niña/Winter 2016-17 Discussion

dmillz25

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

That is a -PDO it's showing, look at the warm water, it's shifted west. Classic -PDO

IMG_7956.PNG

It is kind of in between, the problem is that it isn't representing the cooling along the coast correctly, that area is continuing to cool more to neutral. That projection is like the CFS which is going to end up being wrong unless the massive warm pool which has been retrograding suddenly shifts back east quickly in the next 2 months.

8 minutes ago, Stebo said:

It is kind of in between, the problem is that it isn't representing the cooling along the coast correctly, that area is continuing to cool more to neutral. That projection is like the CFS which is going to end up being wrong unless the massive warm pool which has been retrograding suddenly shifts back east quickly in the next 2 months.

Yep that's the thing, the warm waters have been shifting west to a -PDO configuration for months now. The cooling waters off the west coast are indicative of a regime shift 

I think models are playing catch-up to the falling PDO, and that may include the La Nina as well, with increasing trade winds.

Also the CFS shows widespread warmth in the Southern Ocean, which has been cooling for years. I doubt that is correct given current SSTs and recent trends.

In terms of the winter forecast, I think the weak Nina means we may have our chances this winter. I could see one or two months being colder than normal...my guess now is January and March. Although Ninas often have decent Decembers like 2010, 2007, 2005, I wouldn't be surprised if the fall warmth carries over.

BTW, great convo to all involved.

40 minutes ago, nzucker said:

I think models are playing catch-up to the falling PDO, and that may include the La Nina as well, with increasing trade winds.

Also the CFS shows widespread warmth in the Southern Ocean, which has been cooling for years. I doubt that is correct given current SSTs and recent trends.

In terms of the winter forecast, I think the weak Nina means we may have our chances this winter. I could see one or two months being colder than normal...my guess now is January and March. Although Ninas often have decent Decembers like 2010, 2007, 2005, I wouldn't be surprised if the fall warmth carries over.

Yeah the SOI continues to go up being indicative of a La Nina still forthcoming.

25 minutes ago, Stebo said:

1 hour ago, nzucker said:

The strong -IOD is almost certainly playing a role in the Niña strengthening too. There is unanimous model agreement that the AMO goes negative by this winter. Run after run shows the northern Atlantic ssts going ice cold again

2 hours ago, nzucker said:

The insanely warm SSTs in the western Atlantic will probably result in December being average at best.  Even JB sort of hints at this in his outlook. 

5 hours ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The insanely warm SSTs in the western Atlantic will probably result in December being average at best.  Even JB sort of hints at this in his outlook. 

Those super warm ssts in the west Atlantic are going to positively feedback into the SE ridge and help to sustain its strength and help to keep it in place 

20 hours ago, Stebo said:

If they were to remain that would be the case, as it was the case last December.

I highly doubt we'd see anything the likes of last December though.  There was some sort of IO/MJO Hawaiian trof pattern I think which led to that being a perfect storm.  I definitely could see something like December 13 or 14 though.  Where its not necessarily a record breaking torch nationwide but relatively mild.

1 hour ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I highly doubt we'd see anything the likes of last December though.  There was some sort of IO/MJO Hawaiian trof pattern I think which led to that being a perfect storm.  I definitely could see something like December 13 or 14 though.  Where its not necessarily a record breaking torch nationwide but relatively mild.

Yeah I agree, last year was way over the top when it came to warmth. We were +11 on the month here in Detroit.

On 9/16/2016 at 1:08 PM, Bob Chill said:

Excellent posts as usual BW and Iso. Something I think is important with the enso regions this year is there is a fairly significant disconnect between numerical data and visual. The "nina" has never been anything more than a thin ribbon of cold sandwiched between vast areas of +SSTAs. Just comparing to recent years that never made Nina status like Sept of 2013, 2005, there are some stark differences. Those years looked much more like an impending Nina than this year

This isn't anything close to a Nina in my opinion. It seems highly unlikely that the little island of cool surround by vast warmth will have any sensible effect on a typical Nina LW pattern in the NH. 

anomnight.9.15.2016.gif

It's still only September so the jury is still out but I'm pretty skeptical of hitting even a weak nina status as well as ENSO playing a significant factor this winter. I'm personally becoming more interested in the NPac. Seasonals are mostly unanimously calling for a -epo winter on the means. For now, the NE Pac seems primed for positve feedback if we get a +pna/-epo pattern going. 2013 and 2016 look quite similar in the Npac right now. Disclaimer: I'm in no way implying the upcoming winter could be similar to 2013-14 in the east. We got really lucky with the Scand ridge/epo couplet which displaced the PV much further south than typical. A -epo/+nao can be pretty unfriendly to the east coast more often than not. 

anomnight.9.16.2013.gif

There is very clear Niña forcing in the pattern now. Look at the AAM, OLR and SOI. There is obvious Nina influence in the atmospheric pattern even though region 3.4 anomalies are just over weak Niña status 

3 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

The Atlantic looks better this year than it did in 2013.

Big question, does it stay like that? Every model has a -AMO configuration/cold North Atlantic come winter, which is believable since it would follow the trend of the last few years. Also, +QBO, with low solar and modoki La Niña (even by itself), are extremely hostile to -NAO and -AO

25 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Big question, does it stay like that? Every model has a -AMO configuration/cold North Atlantic come winter, which is believable since it would follow the trend of the last few years. Also, +QBO, with low solar and modoki La Niña (even by itself), are extremely hostile to -NAO and -AO

Easy there, killah.

Just evaluating the current state of the SSTs.

We know......everything in the universe if firmly squarely against snow and cold. :lol:

28 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Product of the tropical instability waves. There is a period of strong easterlies coming up, it's going to drop again once the trades come on

Any drop probably wouldn't be much below what we saw recently as the subsurface cool pool isn't that impressive. Plus the trades haven't been

all that impressive for what you normally see this time of year. They have been much weaker than say September 2010.

Archived