• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Possible 3/20-3/21 Coastal Storm

Zelocita Weather

The weaker Euro is .5 into Monmouth county. 7 onto Long Island. Mostly night time snow .

They will do a lot better than that.

If the UKMET is right, they will do great. There's an inch of liquid there.

PB, You think even with marginal 2mt at or slight above freezing, and 850s between 0 and -4 they will accumulate if precip isn't at least moderate?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's quite the output from this Brams model. I'd LOVE this to come true. How often does it run?, and why do I never hear of this model? Any good?

it's a new model,runs the same as the euro,navgem,cmc and ukie. i've been following it since it's debut and quite honestly impressed by it's performance this winter season.brams otherwise known as the brazilian model.  brazilian regional atmospheric modeling system. B)  B)

PB, You think even with marginal 2mt at or slight above freezing, and 850s between 0 and -4 they will accumulate if precip isn't at least moderate?

33 and light snow at night will accumulate on grassy areas and car tops, no doubt about it.

Again, 0.5 is more than pixie dust, thats legit QPF which will come down moderately at times, say Nassau east.

Remember, this board is not only NW

Profile for CLI are fine.

Hour 42

850 -3 BL 32 DP 30 .4 In 6 hours

Hour 48

850 -6 BL 31 DP 28 .3 in 6 hours

6 inches on grass and less on secondary roads.

BxWeatherwatcher, on 19 Mar 2016 - 2:22 PM, said:

it's a new model,runs the same as the euro,navgem,cmc and ukie,been following it since it's debut and quite honestly impressed by it's performance this winter season.brams otherwise known as the brazilian model. B)  B)

Interesting. Ok...I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks!

33 and light snow at night will accumulate on grassy areas and car tops, no doubt about it.

Again, 0.5 is more than pixie dust, thats legit QPF which will come down moderately at times, say Nassau east.

Remember, this board is not only NW

What's that suppose to mean? Lol

I was asking him a legit meteorological question referring to snow growth and temperature profiles, nothing more, had nothing to do with NW or city lol

You have to start knocking on 1" per hour rates to overcome the ground and accumulate faster then it can melt. If .5 liquid falls, you'll be lucky to see 2-3 on grass.. nada on the pavement.

Most of this falls at night. They are below freezing during the event, where do you guys get this stuff from.

Most of this falls at night. They are below freezing during the event, where do you guys get this stuff from.

I get it from past experience, I was basing that on most during the day? I thought it was coming in earlier and was going to be mostly during the day tomorrow into tomorrow night?

If the bulk is overnight, she'll perform slightly better but its still tough. Still need a quick thump to cover the ground and then we can have liftoff...

You have to start knocking on 1" per hour rates to overcome the ground and accumulate faster then it can melt. If .5 liquid falls, you'll be lucky to see 2-3 on grass.. nada on the pavement.

All models have now shifted the precipitation to the nighttime hours.

Also, and I believe this has been mentioned a few times on here, but isn't the Euro usually known to make smaller adjustments and not larger swings in either direction? Not sure about the new upgraded Euro but it certainly could keep trending west.

It made a monster shift the other day, the old Euro definitely did that but this one following it back when it was the parallel it makes much bigger run to run shifts. Much like the old Euro I found it often to be too low on QPF inside 36-48 hours a good amount of the time

That's just wrong, even during midday.  At midday in late March, melting rates at 33-34F would be about 3/8" per hour (and maybe 1/2" per hour on darker, paved surfaces that hold heat well), so realistically you'd need moderate snow of 1/2" per hour or more to accumulate well.  But here's the part most people don't realize.  If you can get really good rates for an hour or so and get a decent layer of snow to accumulate, subsequent snow is falling on accumulated snow, which is, by definition, at 32F, so the ground temperature part of the melting process no longer applies.  

And the indirect sunlight has far less of an effect, as the albedo of snow (reflectivity) is 80-90% vs. 10-20% for paved surfaces and 30% for grass.  Of course, the air temp still has the same effect, so some of the snow falling on accumulated snow will melt but much less than melts when the ground/surfaces are bare.  At night, once snow starts to accumulate, the only factor in melting is the air temps and with air temps around 32F, melting should be minimal.  And if snow is falling heavily (1" per hour or so), it will have little trouble accumulating, as we've seen in many storms over the years.  I should store this text somewhere, lol...

Archived