Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Possible winter storm March 1st-2nd

Thundersnow12

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can see the differences in the Hudson Bay Low. That's what is messing with the models/system evolution.

gem_z500a_namer_17.png

gem_z500a_namer_19.png

Then here is the EURO for reference at that time.

It's able to close off and be a separate entity in the base of the trough.

ecmwf_z500a_namer_6.png

I wonder if the latest model developments is the result of sparse sampling ingestion over the Pacific. Should be interesting to see what today's Euro shows.

Either a poor sampling issue or the start of a trend.  A bit concerning to see at this point as we are not really far from this system hitting the west coast but better upper air sampling won't occur until the 00z/12z Monday runs.

The GFS is the only model that is missing the weak system that comes between Sunday and this storm, that weak system sets down the cold front for this system to ride. The 18z had that system and this system was in turn south. That is the key piece to this puzzle.

Wanted to bring this point back up because the 12z GFS had said weak system which is why this storm ends up farther south.

Interesting that the UKIE bailed on northerly track with the 12z run. It and the EURO and made a pretty tight tag-team duo the last couple of storms. First divergence among them (in the medium range) I've seen in about 3-4 weeks.

With all the models jumping at once, I would be leery as I am sure you are. Sometimes that happens when bad or missing data is ingested. We'll know if it for real or not with the 18z/00z suite, if we see trends back to a stronger system then we can discount the 12z suite. 

Archived