e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Possible winter storm March 1st-2nd

Thundersnow12

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z GFS has 1.25" QPF at YYZ and ~1.90" at YHM. That fgen band is very dynamic.

Really tough p-type forecast.

gfs_pr6_slp_t850_toronto_12.png

Another nailbiter. If the stronger solutions pan out, YYZ/DTX may be in for another rainer. Some suppression would be nice in this case, as I'm sure OH posters are hoping.

How are the globals doing with current surface temperatures in this warmth?

I'm guessing that better forcing helps keep us as more snow. The pivotalwx map shows 7.5" based on kuchera ratios.

Looked over some sounding data. When the heaviest precip falls, the warmest layer is ~0c or a sliver below. Once rates let up a bit, it goes over to PL. It's the type of situation where it's tough to rely on sounding data that encompasses a 6hr period when the column may be changing within that time frame.

Seems to jibe with the collaboration p-type map. PL never gets further north than the north shore of Lk Erie. I remember when the GGEM showed a similar swath for the last storm so I'm a little incredulous right now. :lol:

Thankfully it has more support from the other models this time around. The threat of a further north track is concerning though.

12z suite thus far for TO

GEM: 0.9” QPF. SN.

GFS: 1.25” QPF. SN/PL mix.

NAM: 0.6-0.7” QPF. SN/PL mix.

UKIE: 0.6"+

we do.  now if only the euro starts feeling it i'd become a little more confident on biting..  I can't take being teased again only to be left alone to look at a pc screen for my pleasure.

Well the cold air timing will meet the frontogenesis band that develops. As usual the cold air over the lake will push out ahead of the rest of the front. 6pm Monday. 12km NAM is a hour or so later, and the GFS is an hour or so earlier.

sfctmw.png

Definitely a challenging forecast for the dvn office.  I think for the QC we're going to have to depend on how things evolve on the back side of the departing low on Tue.  The WAA wing precip looks to be mainly north of here tomorrow night and early Tue, and would be mostly rain along the I-80 corridor anyway.  Some indications of a narrow band of heavy snow accumulations with that band up near the WI/IL border as it sort of stalls out and waits for the pivot.  I could see areas in northeast IA/southern WI/and perhaps far northern IL getting dumped on with that.  The GFS is pretty weak with the WAA wing precip area though, so it's something that's not written in stone yet.  Definitely something to watch for those who live up that way. 

For down this way we'll be at the mercy of how the main snow band evolves, and how quickly it does.  The GFS is definitely the most robust in quickly developing a nice band of snow on the northwest side of the storm, whereas the NAM and GEM take a little longer.  

Still too early to make a call here, but at this point it looks like whatever we see tomorrow night/early Tue will be rain/dry slot south of WAA wing.  Then a quick rain to snow changeover on Tue with hopefully at least a few quick inches before the storm rockets northeast.

That shortwave was barely sampled at all - more importantly, the vort behind it is very poorly initialized by all guidance (too weak), including 12z coming in. That's telling me the backside jet is coming in stronger and will help this dig more, with the southern wave possibly trending faster and deeper in subsequent guidance. If correct, that suggests some of the negative tilt/beefed up runs from a few days ago may be closer to reality. Will be interesting to see 12z ensembles. 

Yeah, really need the 00z/12z Monday runs for better RAOB sampling to clear up some of the lingering differences.

Archived