amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Potential Big Dog Snow Event February 15th

Stovepipe

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The snow axis runs along the TN/KY border up through eastern KY, WVA, western PA, western NY.  It was in Canada at 12z.  Some 6+" totals in south/central KY.  The Apps now has 6+" totals which means it is seeing the Miller A component.  Just a bit too close to the spine of the Apps on the lee side.  Southwest VA and southeast KY have some 4-9"  amounts.  Very close to being good.

How much does it show for the Valley?

The Euro gives 2-4 inches north of 40 basically. Not much south of there. But it's on the northern edge of all the tracks right now. I'm curious now about the 12z runs tomorrow. We've had a trend of good 00z, bad 12z on the Euro and GFS. The Canadian, JMA and UKIE are pretty rock steady over the last 24 to 48 hours, even longer for the Canadian.

I'm buying the WPC forecast track, we are essentially now approaching 72 hours out WPC don't often miss or miss by much in that timeframe. If they still see that track I consider it a safe bet.

I agree w/ that track as well.  Good middle of the road track and excellent for the forum.  Would be nice to nail down that track so we can talk thermal profiles and precip types other than rain.  But yes, agree w/ their track as of now.

EPS Control and Mean have a similar track to the OP.

Mean snowfall is 3-5 inches North of 40 with the highest averages on the Northern Plateau, SW Va and Southern Kentucky. Around 2 inches just south of 40 with the 2 inch mean being Clarksville, just south of Nashville SE towards the Southern Plateau. Below that you quickly fall to 1.5/1/0.5 along the southern and far western Valley areas.

Control run is more robust. 8-10 in SE Kentucky, 6-8 from Fentress County or so to Johnson County. Then amounts fall quickly towards 40 and the 2 inch line is just south of there with not much for areas south more than a full county south of the 40 corridor.

Still a lot of spread on the members though. The extremes at 102 are a low in Central Illinois and a low just SW of Tampa Bay. At 108 there are members in Ohio and a few off the Southern tip of the West coast of Florida. As far west at 108 as Mississippi, as far east as 150 miles off Savannah.

Just eyeballing it I think I counted 33 of 51 members that are as snowy or more so for the Valley than the OP. 15 of the 33 had amounts in excess of 10 inches for parts of Tennessee. Usually centered around the Northern Plateau/Northern Border counties. Kentucky saw quite a bit more members with heavy snow. One member had the entire state in the 10+ inch range almost but the snow line was basically the KY/TN border.

The GFS Ensemble mean averages looks similar to the Euro. Plateau does best on them.  Northern/Central Plateau mean out at 3-5 inches. 3-4 along the border East of the Plateau. 2 inches Clarksville to Southern Plateau and up the Central Valley.

On the individual members, 13 of the 20 are as snowy or more so than the 00z Op run of the GFS.  Generally the Plateau and SW Virginia are the areas that have 6+ inch events on the individual members that are more snowy than the OP. This with the GFES being the furthest north of any major modeling.

The GFS Ensemble mean averages looks similar to the Euro. Plateau does best on them. Northern/Central Plateau mean out at 3-5 inches. 3-4 along the border East of the Plateau. 2 inches Clarksville to Southern Plateau and up the Central Valley.

On the individual members, 13 of the 20 are as snowy or more so than the 00z Op run of the GFS. Generally the Plateau and SW Virginia are the areas that have 6+ inch events on the individual members that are more snowy than the OP. This with the GFES being the furthest north of any major modeling.

I hate that I fell asleep for those important runs. Thanks John and others for the great updates. I couldn't pull up the GFS ensembles on WxBell yet. The GFS was a step in the right direction and also the Euro. I think with yesterday's 12z the northern extent of the track was realized and we will see slight trends back to the southeast before a consensus is met. The Euro Control was better than the OP. Mainly this was because of the front end thump. The Control brought in more QPF into the cold air on the front side and kept the cold air in slightly longer. I'd like to see what the Para Euro says as well.

Man o man I'm going to buy some stock in Tim Hortons if the Canadian is right. That run was perfect. Everything about it was perfect. We couldn't ask for a better storm around here as depicted by that model. The Canadian has been rock solid for days and hasn't wavered much at all. I think the NWS should weigh the Canadian too in their package. Sometimes this model is overlooked but you can't overlook its consistency this time.

If I were to make a forecast right now I would weight the models in this order.

1) Canadian: Not because of the weenieism it shows but because of the consistency it has shown with regards to track and precip.

2) GFS: The GFS hasn't had too many wild swings in the past day of runs. It did trend north in 3 consecutive runs before the 0z but they were gradual shifts. I think the GFS could actually be very close to what actually happens with a slightly colder and further south low pressure track.

3) Euro: The King has struggled with this one showing wild swings in many back to back runs. Sometimes the Euro shows the storm before the other models before losing it and doing crazy stuff. I think it erroneously wants to track the low straight into the mountains. Normally these lows want to take the path of least resistance. Having a low going thru the mountains wouldn't fit that theme.

The 6z NAM is weaker and less amped on this run. This is out to 84 and there would be more to come.

4546034ea7cdf520530fab5ebfff42e9.jpg

From the good folks at Nashville, rooting ever so hard against any snow yet again. I think they must ask mets that when they are doing hiring because ever since I have followed weather, going on 45 years now, they have always had the same stance....

FXUS64 KOHX 120918

AFDOHX

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NASHVILLE TN

318 AM CST FRI FEB 12 2016

.SHORT TERM...

TODAY THROUGH SUNDAY.

A DISTURBANCE COMING DOWN FROM THE MID MS VALLEY IS ALREADY

GENERATING RADAR RETURNS OVER MID TN EARLY THIS MORNING...SO FAR

MOSTLY VIRGA FROM THE MID LEVEL CLOUD DECK. SHORT RANGE MODELS

CONTINUE TO SUPPORT DEVELOPING LIGHT SNOWFALL OVER OUR NORTHEAST

COUNTIES WITHIN THE NEXT FEW HOURS. WE SEE NO REASON TO CHANGE THE

CURRENT FORECAST AND ADVISORY...WITH A FLUFFY INCH OF SNOW

POSSIBLE FOR AREAS AROUND LAFAYETTE...CELINA... LIVINGSTON AND

JAMESTOWN. LIGHT SNOW CHANCES WILL ALSO EXIST AS FAR WEST AS

INTERSTATE 24...PROBABLY JUST A BRIEF DUSTING. TRAVEL IMPACTS WILL

BE LIMITED TO THE MORNING HOURS...WITH PRECIP TAPERING OFF AND

TEMPERATURES WARMING ABOVE FREEZING ACROSS ALL AREAS BY MIDDAY.

OTHERWISE...HIGHS TODAY WILL RANGE FROM THE UPPER 30S NORTHEAST

TO MID 40S SOUTH WITH MAINLY CLOUDY SKIES.

LATER TODAY THROUGH TONIGHT...WE WILL BEGIN TO FEEL THE INFLUENCE

OF A STRONG 1045 MB HIGH PRESSURE SYSTEM THAT WILL BE PUSHING

SOUTHEASTWARD ACROSS THE UPPER MIDWEST. WINDS WILL INCREASE FROM

THE NORTHWEST LATE TODAY...AND MUCH COLDER AIR WILL SPILL INTO MID

TN THROUGH THE NIGHT. BY DAYBREAK SATURDAY...TEMPERATURES WILL BE

IN THE TEENS WITH WIND CHILLS IN THE SINGLE DIGITS.

SATURDAY WILL BE MAINLY SUNNY...BUT QUITE COLD WITH HIGHS MOSTLY

IN THE 20S. CLOUDS WILL INCREASE SATURDAY NIGHT AHEAD OF THE NEXT

WEATHER SYSTEM...WITH LOWS AGAIN THE TEENS.

ON SUNDAY...PATCHY LIGHT SNOW AND RAIN WILL BEGIN TO

DEVELOP...MAINLY OVER OUR FAR NORTH COUNTIES. HIGHS WILL BE IN THE

CHILLY 30S.

.LONG TERM...

SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY.

A NORTHERN STREAM SHORTWAVE WILL GENERATE A BAND OF PRECIPITATION

OVER THE AREA SUNDAY NIGHT...AS A SECOND SHORTWAVE SWINGS DOWN

AND DEVELOPS A SURFACE LOW OVER TX. THIS SOUTHERN SYSTEM WILL

THEN BECOME A BIG EAST COAST STORM.

AS THE BAND OF PRECIP DEVELOPS SUNDAY NIGHT...THERE APPEARS TO BE

ENOUGH COLD AIR IN PLACE TO CAUSE SOME ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL.

HOWEVER...MODELS ARE COMING INTO BETTER AGREEMENT...AND FORECAST

SOUNDINGS SUGGEST A WARMING LAYER ALOFT...RESULTING IN A MIX OF

SNOW AND RAIN FOR MUCH OF THE MID STATE. THE BEST SHOT FOR SNOW

ACCUMULATION WOULD BE ALONG THE NORTH TIER AND PLATEAU SUNDAY

NIGHT...PERHAPS IN THE 1-2 INCH RANGE. THERE ARE STILL A LOT OF

UNCERTAINTIES THOUGH...INCLUDING THE PLACEMENT OF VARIOUS

FEATURES...THERMAL PROFILES...AND EFFECTS SUCH AS WET BULBING AND

DYNAMIC COOLING.

BY DAYTIME MONDAY...MODELS ARE GOOD AGREEMENT WITH WARMER AIR AND

A TRANSITION TO ALL LIQUID. A CHANGE OVER TO SNOW IS EXPECTED AS

THE PRECIP TAPERS OFF MONDAY NIGHT...WHEN THE SYSTEM DEEPENS AND

STARTS TO LIFT UP THE EAST COAST.

ANOTHER SHORTWAVE WILL SWING DOWN ACROSS THE AREA WITH ANOTHER

CHANCE FOR RAIN AND SNOW SHOWERS TUESDAY INTO TUESDAY NIGHT.

FOR WEDNESDAY THROUGH THE END OF THE WEEK...QUIET WX IS ON THE WAY

WITH A WARMING TREND. IN FACT...IT WILL FEEL SPRING LIKE LATE NEXT

WEEK WITH HIGHS REACHING THE 60S BY THE WEEKEND.

06 gfs 1006 lp going right up the mountains giving everyone rain. Reading the weather discussions on the NOAA site they can't even figure out what's gonna happen is it usually this hard to nail down a path ?

Normally it isn't this hard to pin down a low pressure track. Normally it is between a few hundred miles that the models have differences. I really think the mountains have a play in the this. If the low develops further northwest then it has no other choice but to try to go to the west of the mountain chain and transfer to the coast. If it develops further southeast initially then it should want to track on the east side of the apps as a pure Miller A.

Archived