• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Big Dog Snow Event February 15th

Stovepipe

I'm not sure we can avoid the warn nose so we need the Euro and it's rapid expansion of major precip into the cold if we can't get the Canadian solution.

It's tough to get all snow with gulf tracks for the southern valley. It's really tough for all of us with central gulf Coast state tracks.

So hope for the biggest front end thump you can get. Also hope the heavy precip can cool from the top down. The NAM shows that happening during the event in spots. Just very heavy snow blobs on the map with the dynamic cooling.

Yep. A consistent feature is waa which is ironically what this system is anyway. This system is really a bonus system as models had us warming during this time frame weeks ago. This system will cut our warm-up from 7-10 days to 5-7 days. Anyway, I will take my front end snow knowing it could have been 60 and sunny. LOL. For NE TN folks, we will probably hold on the longest to cold temps, and then deal with the whole kitchen sink...and then back to snow if an inland runner occurs. Also, some nice lolipops could occur to our south if precip can keep the air column cool.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding the bolded, is 7 PM a good start time or is that too fast?

Seems like MRX had a good write-up about the onset. Usually overrunning events are a bit faster than modeled. Just depends on which model one favors. For NE TN, I am thinking sometime after midnight Sunday, but MRX has a small chance Sunday afternoon at TRI. John, what do u see as the start times from Memphis eastward - big cities?

Now is the time to remember that a NAM bias is to be overly amped in the long range.  It is really not to be trusted past 48 hours.  It held serve to 63hr and then diverged by getting stronger and cutting west.  No way shape or form do I trust the NAM at this range.  Sure, it is a possible solution, maybe even probable...but the long range NAM won't be what makes up my mind.  There is a kicker behind this system that is a clipper(remember those pull north, so go north about 150 miles in latitude when you look at the model).  It is going to make the system more progressive IMO.  Would be surprised to see the system cut.  Maybe a piece of it, but the entire system riding the spine of the Apps...not sure about that. 

The thing is that he is saying light accumulations North of 40 as well.

I can't really disagree with that forecast as of now either. I could see my area getting as few as 1-2 inches. It's just according to how much moisture comes in early and how much is virga. I will be surprised if we don't all switch to rain for a good portion of the event.

I can't really disagree with that forecast as of now either. I could see my area getting as few as 1-2 inches. It's just according to how much moisture comes in early and how much is virga. I will be surprised if we don't all switch to rain for a good portion of the event.

I could also see us getting more than that. The truth is that we still don't have a good idea what will happen.

0z RGEM looking healthy at final frame hour 48:

Temps are nice and cold.

The short range models are just now coming into range.  Really, they are almost at the far end of their range.  Going to be some variation on those.  Everyone needs to keep that in mind.  We will know where this is going based on how strong it is over the Arklatex.  Also, we will see the precip axis as well and know if the system is amped or flat.  100 miles right now is the difference in models crashing into the Apps or going under the base.  The RGEM looks really good though.  Going to be fun to watch. 

Archived