Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Big Dog Snow Event February 15th

Stovepipe

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never saw a true lp till it was in the north east or did I miss it

GFS has it sort of disappear around LA then reform NE GA then up through the Piedmont.  In fact with as weak as the GFS is showing this I have a harder time with its ability to erode cold surface as easy as the GFS depicts.  I think the Canadian is too cold, I think the GFS is too warm.  A blend between the 2 on surface temps is probably more accurate. 

GFS has it sort of disappear around LA then reform NE GA then up through the Piedmont. In fact with as weak as the GFS is showing this I have a harder time with its ability to erode cold surface as easy as the GFS depicts. I think the Canadian is too cold, I think the GFS is too warm. A blend between the 2 on surface temps is probably more accurate.

That sounds like a Miller B but too far west.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the family Powell, nice to have another east TN poster in the house!

Para GFS at 6z keeps most of east TN snow until around 10am. (Give or take an hour or two). If the precip is heavy enough it could be a situation that it stays snow for those couple of extra hours and create quite a thump before getting washed away... Does anyone have qpf data for the para through 15z Monday (10am)?

gfs_namer_057_precip_p48.gif

12z Canadian looks remarkably close to the 0z Para Euro and 12z GFS. Front end thump of snow and then rain. Kicker is on al models. Would like to see the trend of weaker and south continue. The original idea from several days ago is more of a longshot, but not off the table w today's trends. Need the slp or wave to be flat and weak.

Just a shame we can't keep that High from scooting off shore so easily, but nothing there to stop it from doing so.  Front end thump is what we really have to hope for and enjoy before rain.  I do believe many of us get a good thumping and get to see some seriously heavy snowfall on the front end before change over. 

Surprised MRX hasn't pulled the trigger on a WSW for the mountains and northern plateau.

I think they will for the mountains and SWVA. I will be surprised if they do for here, but they might because the snow is predicted to fall fast and they are thinking there will be ice/sleet involved.

I think they will for the mountains and SWVA. I will be surprised if they do for here, but they might because the snow is predicted to fall fast and they are thinking there will be ice/sleet involved.

Just about anywhere north of 40 is close to watch criteria.

This is my current point forecast.

Sunday

Snow likely, mainly after 4pm. Cloudy, with a high near 30. South wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Sunday Night
Snow before 4am, then snow and sleet. Low around 27. South wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow and sleet accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
Washington's Birthday
Sleet before 11am, then rain. High near 38. South wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.
Monday Night
Rain likely before midnight, then rain and snow likely between midnight and 2am, then snow likely after 2am. Cloudy, with a low around 31. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

They are sold on sleet, which kills snow totals, believe me, after two sleet fests last year when I would have otherwise had 12-15 inches snow, I well know it. Also, all the maps we see are 10:1. A lot of this snow could be 8:1 or lower. So while it would still be an impact event, I'm not sure it makes their WSW criteria.

MRX opting for a front-end tease rather than thump. A bit confused were they're getting sleet, unless it's a hunch based on how stubborn arctic cold can be to leave.

Sent from my decrepit iPhone 4s using an outdated version of Chrome for iOS

I think the NAM is stubborn with the low level cold leaving and shows 4-6 hours of sleet/freezing rain over parts of the area.

Archived