joxey
Potential Big Dog Snow Event February 15th

Stovepipe

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0z GEFS day 1-8 snow mean:

HvHDS8H.gif

Yep, thought that might be the case.  Thanks, Stove.  Hoping the UKMET is not a precursor to the Euro... You can seek the kicker at 84 on the GEFS.  It does not allow it to move north much.  (edit:  Check that.  See Stovepipe's comment above)  Same feature is on the Canadian.  The Euro usually has superior physics at this range...but interesting to see two features w/ that clipper. 

Per JB at 6:30 PM on Weatherbell.  We'll see if he changes up after the 0z suite is completed.  Likes the 12z Para Euro...

There is enough competition going on that until this REACHES THE EAST COAST, it wont be able to amplify enough for the more westward ideas ( in the mountains) to be the most the most likely idea. I hold with my ideas.

I may have to change around the edges.. trying to figure out where the rain/ice snow ratios will me and then the western edge. But this has always looked like Tenn valley to the mountains as the area to watch for the most.

Snow is less expansive over the Knoxville area...but that could just be an algorithm issue.  2+" of liquid qpf.  I cannot imagine this thing running the spine of the Apps.  EPS will again have to be relied upon to know where the slp groupings are.  Takeaways...a bit faster, 100 miles southwest of 12z track, Apps runner from Chatt to PA right over the Apps(could happen but I doubt it).  With it being weaker, it almost turned the corner at the base of the Apps.  Still two options on the table with one being an Apps runner up the eastern Valley or an inland runner up the western Piedmont.  Close call.  Time for bed.  Great discussion this evening, everyone. 

I just wanted to thank you guys for posting your thoughts and updates. I just discovered this board during the last snowstorm (or bust for the Knoxville area) but it has been a blast watching all the model madness the past few days. Hopefully we will at least get the front end thump from this storm, even if it does change to rain on Monday. Regardless, look forward to the next 36 hours.

I just wanted to thank you guys for posting your thoughts and updates. I just discovered this board during the last snowstorm (or bust for the Knoxville area) but it has been a blast watching all the model madness the past few days. Hopefully we will at least get the front end thump from this storm, even if it does change to rain on Monday. Regardless, look forward to the next 36 hours.

Wurbus, it is a great board, and we are glad you are here.  People are here to talk weather.  We have some great mets in MrBob and Jeff.  We could always use a few more mets.  I know MathMet is here when mountain wave events occur - kind of a specialty of his.  But really...it is a good board and it doesn't get too wound-up if things don't work out.  Jeff and WarEagle have had some great threads this winter about severe wx.  But nice to have a place to talk about the weather in our region. 

Heading off to bed.  Someone post some EPS updates if you stay up that late...or get up that early.

One correction...my eyes are tired.  Just took a closer look at the 0z Euro slp track.  At 12z it literally just goes over the mountain around SW VA then slides up the east side of the Apps, and recurves a bit into Quebec.  This current 0z run tracks from Chatt to WV to PA and then towards Maine where it is east and much, much faster along w/ being weaker.  The snow shield is still southwest about 100 miles.   Quite literally, it split the difference between and Apps runner and an inland runner.

At this point, I'm pretty confident in most everyone north of I-40 on the plateau getting 3-5 inches. The big question mark is how or if a surface feature develops and rides the spine of the Apps. A slower system will kill everyone west of the Apps and south of the Tn/Ky border in snow totals; however, if the upper max vort can slide in faster and punch the surface feature further southeast, those totals could be outrageously higher, downsloping be damned. There's plenty of juice. High rates look great for the border counties of SWVA/NETN, but for the greater mountain valleys, we need a faster moving system to punch that surface feature into the Piedmont. The GGEM has been stubbornly consistent, and that is worth noting, but clearly Dr. No (Euro) has my greatest confidence.

Sent from my LG G4.

There was a strong lp that moved up the great valley on February 11-12th 1985 that deluged this area with over 2 inches of rain of which then changed to heavy snow and an actual blizzard as wind was frequently gusting over 40 mph. 15" along with 4-6 foot drifts was observed after just a 6 hour span(1:15 to 7:30 a.m.) of snow falling! And just to think, all on a very wet ground. Tremendous rates! Nothing of this nature was forecasted.

So, even if there's an app runner it doesn't mean there won't still be alot of snow on the backside

There was a strong lp that moved up the great valley on February 11-12th 1985 that deluged this area with over 2 inches of rain of which then changed to heavy snow and an actual blizzard as wind was frequently gusting over 40 mph. 15" along with 4-6 foot drifts was observed after just a 6 hour span(1:15 to 7:30 a.m.) of snow falling! And just to think, all on a very wet ground. Tremendous rates! Nothing of this nature was forecasted.

So, even if there's an app runner it doesn't mean there won't still be alot of snow on the backside

I was just talking about that one the other day. One of the great snow storms of my life.

Archived