CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Potential Big Dog Snow Event February 15th

Stovepipe

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is the qpf map for the 12z para GFS. You can see the track. Bout right where we want it. Will allow for the nw jog.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Quite a bit more precip on the NCEP site than wxbell was showing. Especially middle and west Tennessee. The 540 is well south of the entire state throughout the event. 850s would be good too, especially north of 40.

18z GFS is rolling. Through 84 it's about 150 miles SE with the storm in Texas vs 12z.

Started further south but instead of moving SE like 12z it moved due east and is in the same spot, just a bit further East at 96.

Winding up, much stronger and going to cut, maybe right through central Tennessee. 

Didn't cut but it's sitting over the Mountains around Polk or Monroe county at 999. Very similar to the 12z Euro.

I would say it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay early to tap out. The system is between Japan and the Aleutians right now. Sunday's model runs will still be viable for predicting this one.

NAM @ 84(yeah, not great at that range) looks exactly like the 18z GFS, 12z Euro, and 12z Para.  I will watch one more suite only because the UKMET has not folded nor the Canadian.  Most major models are slowing the system down and the cold air is just gone.  But will give it one more suite.  I would say by 12z tomorrow there will be strong consensus.  Also, noticed that the energy for this is diving a bit more westward which is giving it room to pull west of the Apps.  A slider into the Apps or a cutter is counter intuitive, but it does happen sometimes.  Anyway, will give it one more look and then it is time to take a break.  Kind of holding out hope we pick up a couple of inches tomorrow. 

Ends up with heavy back side snow and drops 2-4 inches.

I don't know what the final solution will be, but I have not in my recollection seen a system move directly over the Smokies and gain strength while doing it.

Thanks, John, for keeping us up on all of the model madness.  Much appreciated.

While I was drooling over the snow smack down a few models ago, I can live with a good 2-4 inch back side slider.  Better than nothing. 

Thanks, John, for keeping us up on all of the model madness.  Much appreciated.

While I was drooling over the snow smack down a few models ago, I can live with a good 2-4 inch back side slider.  Better than nothing. 

Think a good bit of that will be cold chasing rain as heights crash.  Backside snow is tough to predict.  I am holding out hope for a quick front end thump of snow before it goes to rain.  Let's hope trends reverse at 0z.

NAM @ 84(yeah, not great at that range) looks exactly like the 18z GFS, 12z Euro, and 12z Para.  I will watch one more suite only because the UKMET has not folded nor the Canadian.  Most major models are slowing the system down and the cold air is just gone.  But will give it one more suite.  I would say by 12z tomorrow there will be strong consensus.  Also, noticed that the energy for this is diving a bit more westward which is giving it room to pull west of the Apps.  A slider into the Apps or a cutter is counter intuitive, but it does happen sometimes.  Anyway, will give it one more look and then it is time to take a break.  Kind of holding out hope we pick up a couple of inches tomorrow. 

Hang in there Carvers, the fun is just beginning!  Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

mzqU4bM.jpg

Archived