joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Light to Moderate Snow Event / Norlun Trough 2/8-10

ChescoWx

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with you.  This whole thing is garbage.

Radar looks like garbage, latest short range hi-res models look like garbage. Downgrading from my 2-5" call to a general 1-3" storm total for my area. I see no evidence attm to support my original total. Good call on the advisories from the NWS.

Mt. Holly seeing something still in modeling though....just issued this.

WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST
WEDNESDAY...

* LOCATIONS...MARYLAND`S EASTERN SHORE, DELAWARE AND SOUTHERN NEW
JERSEY

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 2 TO 4 INCHES EXCEPT AROUND
5 OR 6 INCHES POSSIBLE IN THE NORTHERN PORTIONS OF BOTH CECIL
COUNTY MARYLAND AND NEW CASTLE COUNTY DELAWARE.

* TIMING...PERIODS OF PRECIPITATION TODAY WILL BE MOSTLY SNOW WHEN
IT FALLS AT A HEAVIER RATE. SNOW HAS THE POTENTIAL TO FALL AT A
MODERATE TO HEAVY RATE AT TIMES THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING IN
CECIL COUNTY MARYLAND AND NORTHERN NEW CASTLE COUNTY DELAWARE.
MEANWHILE FROM SUSSEX AND SOUTHERN KENT COUNTIES IN DELAWARE TO
CAPE MAY AND ATLANTIC COUNTIES IN SOUTHEAST NEW JERSEY, SNOW
SHOULD NOT BE A TRAVEL HAZARD UNTIL LATE THIS AFTERNOON OR
EVENING WHEN TEMPERATURES FALL TO NEAR FREEZING AND INTERMITTENT
PRECIPITATION CHANGES TO SNOW.

* IMPACTS...ACCUMULATING SNOW WILL AFFECT TRAVEL THROUGH
TONIGHT...INCLUDING THE LATE DAY COMMUTE AND ESPECIALLY IN
CECIL COUNTY MARYLAND AND NEW CASTLE COUNTY DELAWARE. THE ROAD
CONDITIONS WILL LIKELY DETERIORATE DURING TIMES OF HEAVIER
SNOWFALL RATES LATER TODAY. REMEMBER... BRIDGES AND OTHER
ELEVATED SURFACES TEND TO BECOME SLIPPERY FIRST.

I thought today was supposed to be a whole lot of nothing with accumulating snows moving in late afternoon/early evening. And by accumulating snows, this always had the look of a 1-3, 2-4 inch type of deal with maybe someone scoring a jackpot of 5" or 6".

I'm not ready to call this a bust just yet.

This was always going to be an 18z onward event today so mid afternoon and night for majority accumulations 

That said the the candadian models WAY too wet 0z with their 4-8" and the americans also beefed things up too far. UKMET was persistent showing near .5" that also looks overdone. 2-4" is looking like the best range with only the 4" being wherever the best banding sets up, 

0z ECM was its "wettest" run with 2" for most of the area. 

I gave mt holly props for doing their best the last few days. 

Forecasting headaches galore with this one.  Monday's near miss, coastal flooding uncertainty , today's whack a mole / hit or miss Frontogentic event , etc..

and people should stop complaining with all the "why did mt holly do this or that"....it makes everybody sound like their 10 years old or something..

I gave mt holly props for doing their best the last few days. 

Forecasting headaches galore with this one.  Monday's near miss, coastal flooding uncertainty , today's whack a mole / hit or miss Frontogentic event , etc..

and people should stop complaining with all the "why did mt holly do this or that"....it makes everybody sound like their 10 years old or something..

agreed, and it is probably why there is not a single met that posts in our subforum.

This is an embarrassing post...I hope it gets deleted! We are very fortunate to have in my humble opinion the best NWSFO here at Mt Holly. I look at a lot of other sources but for my forecast I rely on - no one tops our Mt. Holly Team!!

Why do I feel like this is a storm that just highlights that even most of the people paid to forecast the weather only look at models?

Might be my bad....I assumed he meant NWS but either way it is not an exact perfect science and I appreciate all who work in this area. If some feel I over reacted I apologize

Paul

How do we know shemATC's post is targeted towards Mount Holly? The way I read and interpreted it was towards tv Mets...and I won't go into specific people. Don't take it so personally...

Might be my bad....I assumed he meant NWS but either way it is not an exact perfect science and I appreciate all who work in this area. If some feel I over reacted I apologize

Paul

I can see why there might have been the assumption, because I did see the frequent changes on the snow accumulation maps at mt Holly's site which might have led to this conclusion. One other thing I do notice is the amount of available information we get here, plus how many highly qualified board members can analyze it and offer analysis. This could possibly lead to a board member commenting about an "other" forecast that aren't as up to date or inaccurate. Toss in the amount of passion that we have here at amwx, it will happen from time to time.

Also, my post which stated "don't take it personally" I should have made it clearer it wasn't directed towards you, but just in general....my apologies also.

Archived