Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

TARHEELPROGRAMMER

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks superjames, guess we will pull for something in between GFS and Euro

It really blows up as it crosses Cape Hatteras (it goes from 1012 mb to 992 mb in 12 hours... it is 150 miles east of Norfolk at hr 198).  Precip field is fairly meek.  Not a lot of precip or anything, but interesting.  Probably won't be there next run.

Anybody have Euro surface map? At 192 at 5H has a low in a good position off Carolina coast, albeit weak

Without access to the in between or precip, it does look like a winter storm for eastern sections. I do not like the 1013 low sitting over the lakes at 192. With all this being said, Isohume says the Euro can be mostly ignored, so that's what I am rolling with until a North American models says otherwise.

I lived on the west end of Gastonia and ended up with about 4.5-5".

I'm sorry you had to live there! I was in the Cramerton area, closer to CLT, it was not memorable at all!

So the theme has turned from promising, to cutter, cool down, warm up apps runner, extreme cold and dry!? Sounds fun, and Feb will be half over!

Big 3 - 12z ens means at day 10.  One thing that is evident is cross polar flow, a key ingredient for getting snow in to the deep south.  I would like to see the ridge axis shifted a little east towards the west coast like the GFS shows.  GFS and EC ens both picking up on a 50/50 and potential for a southern stream shortwave phasing in to the long wave.

post-382-0-37677100-1454187799_thumb.png

post-382-0-34064400-1454187810_thumb.png

post-382-0-86447400-1454187816_thumb.png

And just because...

superstorm_March12_500mb.jpg

The 12z EPS control run has a 939 mb LP over Quebec D12. Okie, dokie. :lmao:

It's the control run, so it means nothing, but quite wild in any case.

Being a lover 9f snow not sure what to root for. Spent today washing 3 cars and a truck. Salt= ugh. Carwash es have been lined up here for 3 or 4 straight days raking on the cash.

Big 3 - 12z ens means at day 10.  One thing that is evident is cross polar flow, a key ingredient for getting snow in to the deep south.  I would like to see the ridge axis shifted a little east towards the west coast like the GFS shows.  GFS and EC ens both picking up on a 50/50 and potential for a southern stream shortwave phasing in to the long wave.

attachicon.gifgfs.png

attachicon.gifeuro.png

attachicon.gifggem.png

And just because...

superstorm_March12_500mb.jpg

Where's Fla on the lower map - out to sea? Ga too?

This really ain't all that hard anyway. Storm threats are going to be non-specific 10 days out, 90% of the time. 10 day out Super duper Deep South cold outbreaks are going to moderate as we get closer, 90% of the time.

The main take-away is that there is pretty good model agreement across the major suites for a trough east/ridge west combo. We will have cold air nearby, thanks to high latitude blocking and cross-polar flow.

Winter is coming back. With it, you can bet there will be chances for snow and ice. Will we get a winter storm? Nobody knows. But it looks likely that we will have below normal temps, plenty of cold that could be tapped, and chances for storms.

It's not the perfect pattern, but we rarely get the perfect pattern. Fortunately, we still get snow. Maybe this time will be different. But I doubt it.

This really ain't all that hard anyway. Storm threats are going to be non-specific 10 days out, 90% of the time. 10 day out Super duper Deep South cold outbreaks are going to moderate as we get closer, 90% of the time.

The main take-away is that there is pretty good model agreement across the major suites for a trough east/ridge west combo. We will have cold air nearby, thanks to high latitude blocking and cross-polar flow.

Winter is coming back. With it, you can bet there will be chances for snow and ice. Will we get a winter storm? Nobody knows. But it looks likely that we will have below normal temps, plenty of cold that could be tapped, and chances for storms.

It's not the perfect pattern, but we rarely get the perfect pattern. Fortunately, we still get snow. Maybe this time will be different. But I doubt it.

Good post CR!!! JB's Saturday summary was good today! IMO

It really blows up as it crosses Cape Hatteras (it goes from 1012 mb to 992 mb in 12 hours... it is 150 miles east of Norfolk at hr 198). Precip field is fairly meek. Not a lot of precip or anything, but interesting. Probably won't be there next run.

The EPS looks pretty bleak for this, too, so we probably toss and focus on the D10+ storm (wherever it sets up).

EDIT: And then the 18z GFS almost does something with it.  LOL.

Good post CR. I agree. The post by WeatherNC shows excellent agreement on by US, Europe and Canada ensembles at day 10. The other thing that is consistently modeled on all 3 is cross polar flow. I would say that the signal for cold is better now for Feb. than it was late Dec. for January. I would also expect that we get colder and stay cold longer with this cold than what we had for January. January will end up colder than normal, but other than last weekend, we did not have a ton of real cold weather. The cross polar flow indicated could change that for Feb. if what is shown verifies. No guarantee for Snow, but when do we ever get a guarantee here. All in all, I like our chances for February!

Good post CR. I agree. The post by WeatherNC shows excellent agreement on by US, Europe and Canada ensembles at day 10. The other thing that is consistently modeled on all 3 is cross polar flow. I would say that the signal for cold is better now for Feb. than it was late Dec. for January. I would also expect that we get colder and stay cold longer with this cold than what we had for January. January will end up colder than normal, but other than last weekend, we did not have a ton of real cold weather. The cross polar flow indicated could change that for Feb. if what is shown verifies. No guarantee for Snow, but when do we ever get a guarantee here. All in all, I like our chances for February!

Agreed. It's also supported by analogues and Nino climo. I'm sure we'll get a break or two, but I don't expect half of the month to be eaten up by a hostile pattern.

Archived