joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 22-23 Mid Atlantic Storm Thread #3 - No Banter

stormtracker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS was 2.5-3.0 qpf for all of western,central and ne MD and more for most of Central and northern VA. Nice run Still a little blotchy with precip But this run is the nicest run for the deform band yet. GFS is dragging the 850S west unlike any other model for some reason also. Other then that its getting better and better. 500mb was perf temps never crack the upper 20s NW of 95 

Because the new GFS is slightly left of the 12 and 18Z MSLP tracks (and slower), it brings the 850mb 0C line into southern MD between 12-18Z Sat. This is probably why we see such a sharper gradient east-southeast of I-95 compared to the last few runs.

This is more realistic of a bombing nearly stationary system.

Because the new GFS is slightly left of the 12 and 18Z MSLP tracks (and slower), it brings the 850mb 0C line into southern MD between 12-18Z Sat. This is probably why we see such a sharper gradient east-southeast of I-95 compared to the last few runs.

Still shows close to 20" for me.

GFS was 2.5-3.0 qpf for all of western,central and ne MD and more for most of Central and northern VA. Nice run Still a little blotchy with precip But this run is the nicest run for the deform band yet. GFS is dragging the 850S west unlike any other model for some reason also. Other then that its getting better and better. 500mb was perf temps never crack the upper 20s NW of 95

Large and slow moving system pulling warm air from hundreds of miles of Atlantic. Water is warmer than normal. It's a definite concern to cut totals back after the front end stuff. Along and east of 95 mix with sleet, maybe rain at least for a time.

Bob and Ian are right. This run was a synoptic marvel. Forget QPF placement. This would absolutely destroy everyone in CMD on west down to DC and NoVa.

The 500mb low track particularly from the Carolinas onward has been insanely the same from run to run for a while now. I mean maybe they should just dump QPF entirely so we can just sit back in awe of the rest. I know the big ones are sniffed out early but this stretch will leave me feeling a lot better about NWP overall than going in. Other than the hardest parts like timing and the edge and the mix line and such the main part of the storm keeps being about the same. GFS has been steady as a rock. It's honestly getting a bit boring waiting at this point (now it will rain).

Archived