• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Continued Winter Banter.

Ericjcrash

Remember it like it was yesterday. Back then I used to listen to WINS 1010. The Metreoligist came on and said very menacingly" folks this is not an April fools joke.. a life thretening Blizzard is heading up the east coast and is taking direct aim on New York''

Dr. Joe Sobel and Dr. Joel Myers (he was still on the air at the time) did a terrific job on 1010 WINS.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul, do you know if WXbell is processing those maps correctly? Every snowstorm has been too far SE for us with

much lower parallel snowfall totals than the OP for each snowstorm. It had about half as much snowfall for the blizzard and other storms than the Op runs did. If that is really the new model and not a wxbell processing

error it will be bad news.

I am not sure how that particular file comes over . 

It`s their new model , so they must like it`s skill score 

Exactly.

For anyone that remembers that storm it snowed throughout the daylight hours, and the so called sun angle had a zero effect anywhere including the roads.

I had tickets for the Yankees home opener that day. The season I believe was delayed three days. I hit 12 degrees on April 7th with over a foot of fresh powder on the ground, I think the city hit 19 that morning.

And it was powder, the temperature was in the low to mid 20's throughout the event.

the next day the high temp was 30 in NYC with clear blue skies...there was another inch a few days later...

Exactly.

For anyone that remembers that storm it snowed throughout the daylight hours, and the so called sun angle had a zero effect anywhere including the roads.

I had tickets for the Yankees home opener that day. The season I believe was delayed three days. I hit 12 degrees on April 7th with over a foot of fresh powder on the ground, I think the city hit 19 that morning.

And it was powder, the temperature was in the low to mid 20's throughout the event.

Some photos: http://wintercenter.homestead.com/photo1982.html

Also, there was thundersnow during the morning of April 6 as the storm deepened explosively leading to the blizzard conditions.

At the time, 1010 allowed more time for the forecasts. Today's compressed format leads to much less interesting forecasts, even as Dr. Joe Sobel can sometimes be heard on air.

they were my favorites back then...I started video taping snowfalls in November 1982 and I have accuwx on 1010 wins for some events...I even have a young Joe Bastardi in one segment in 1983...Craig Allen and the wcbs weather team were great also...Steve Sampole (spelling?) was also on cbs radio...

Some photos: http://wintercenter.homestead.com/photo1982.html

Also, there was thundersnow during the morning of April 6 as the storm deepened explosively leading to the blizzard conditions.

I remember the depth of the cold with that one and that was the first time I remember experiencing thundersnow.  In one of my meteorology classes at Nassau Community College a few years later the professor posited that those thunderstorms lifted the cloud tops and they were able to warm significantly creating better vertical velocities thereby increasing snowfall rates and holding the cold in closer to the ground for longer in the downwelling section of the storm.

they were my favorites back then...I started video taping snowfalls in November 1982 and I have accuwx on 1010 wins for some events...I even have a young Joe Bastardi in one segment in 1983...Craig Allen and the wcbs weather team were great also...Steve Sampole (spelling?) was also on cbs radio...

I agree. Craig Allen is always good to hear on the air.

I remember the depth of the cold with that one and that was the first time I remember experiencing thundersnow.  In one of my meteorology classes at Nassau Community College a few years later the professor posited that those thunderstorms lifted the cloud tops and they were able to warm significantly creating better vertical velocities thereby increasing snowfall rates and holding the cold in closer to the ground for longer in the downwelling section of the storm.

If I recall correctly, the VVs were really intense at the height of the storm. It was an amazing storm.

If I recall correctly, the VVs were really intense at the height of the storm. It was an amazing storm.

I was up in the Poconos and measured 13.5"...I drove home as the snow was ending and with no one on the road I was back in Brooklyn in two hours...The snow had just stopped and there was 8" on the ground...

I was up in the Poconos and measured 13.5"...I drove home as the snow was ending and with no one on the road I was back in Brooklyn in two hours...The snow had just stopped and there was 8" on the ground...

A late season blizzard and greater than 95-96 snowfall season are the only NYC snowfall records that we haven't seen in the 2000's.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gfs&region=us&pkg=mslp_pcpn_frzn&runtime=2016021712&fh=132&xpos=0&ypos=19

It's still pretty obvious that either ALOT of people are just lazy or don't know that the NAM, GFS, GGEM, HRRR, RGEM, ARW, NMM, navgem, jma etc etc lol.. Are ALL free.... Go check em out for yourself, so you dont have to rely on others for updates

But we have seen two of the most wonderful early season rockin' and rollin' storms I have ever seen.  The onethat shut down Halloween was awesome.

We have been on quite a roll since 2000. 12 out of the last 16 winters have featured either near or above normal

seasonal snowfall in NYC. The only 4 duds were 01-02, 06-07, 07-08, and 11-12. So if you just cut and pasted 

that forecast every winter you would be batting 750. People would have forgiven you for missing those 4 winters

with below normal snowfall. So it payed to have a snowy bias since 2000. But not so much for the previous 15

winters.

You know that the long-range forecast progs (including the 2/25 storm) just got much worse than 24 hours ago when 90% of today's posts are in the banter thread.

Kudos to bluewave for predicting the inland runner next week when the GFS/GGEM/ensembles were OTS yesterday.

Lol there's 28 gfs runs, and 14 euro runs left

it's being posted in banter, because well... It's banter, 7 days out we shouldn't even really be posting about a model run, we do it cause we're crazy tho.....

You know that the long-range forecast progs (including the 2/25 storm) just got much worse than 24 hours ago when 90% of today's posts are in the banter thread.

Kudos to bluewave for predicting the inland runner next week when the GFS/GGEM/ensembles were OTS yesterday.

Another one handing out awards early .

steve-harvey-zoom-02-80ea0f4c-7bdc-4714-

Archived