• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Continued Winter Banter.

Ericjcrash

NYC area snow weenies are the worst. A few are terribly spoiled because of the last 15-20 years. They think they live in a favorable area for lots of snow when long term climatology says differently. The realistic significant snow season for the greater NYC area is from the second full week in December up until the week after Presidents Day or right around February 25th. Before and after, too many things can go wrong, and often do. We go through this at the end of every February as we begin to turn the corner towards Spring.

At least with the Mid-Atlantic crew, they expect little, and they get little. They are used to be disappointed, and most of them accept it.

The New England crew expects a lot but they get a lot.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NYC area snow weenies are the worst. A few are terribly spoiled because of the last 15-20 years. They think they live in a favorable area for lots of snow when long term climatology says differently. The realistic significant snow season for the greater NYC area is from the second full week in December up until the week after Presidents Day or right around February 25th. Before and after, too many things can go wrong, and often do. We go through this at the end of every February as we begin to turn the corner towards Spring.

At least with the Mid-Atlantic crew, they expect little, and they get little. They are used to be disappointed, and most of them accept it.

You misspelled "we".

Then it's settled, mother nature is at fault, for seems NYC metro is in the middle of nothing and allot lol.

Hey, I never get thunderstorms out here much,if ever, but it's part of weather. You live and love it no matter what happens in the end!

Same with snows, it will either snow, or rain or both, or nothing at all.

Blizzards kill people all the time. All weather can be dangerous in its own right.

I was going say natural disasters. But it's usually wind that does the most damage out here.

Wind any time of year, then it's cold in winter, great in summer. Weather is a crazy thing. That's why we Love it.lol were all adrenaline junkies

Then it's settled, mother nature is at fault, for seems NYC metro is in the middle of nothing and allot lol.

Hey, I never get thunderstorms out here much,if ever, but it's part of weather. You live and love it no matter what happens in the end!

Same with snows, it will either snow, or rain or both, or nothing at all.

You practically live in the middle of the ocean. It's a beautiful area, but you're more or less surrounded by water on 3 sides. I would imagine that your long range records are very similar to that of coastal Rhode Island. 

You practically live in the middle of the ocean. It's a beautiful area, but you're more or less surrounded by water on 3 sides. I would imagine that your long range records are very similar to that of coastal Rhode Island.

Snow wise, I'm same with north shore of long island ironically. I do have the benefit of the CT river and dumping cold air down it at times, if the setup is right.

When there a map that shows long range prediction and it's blue meaning cold,and someone says looks bad for upcoming period... and then, say upcoming storm must of gotten worse instead of better. Lol it can boil some blood. Look at poor pb. He's been one of the select few who have stuck to the gun. Looked at data and came up with a long range/term idea and it's been fairly accurate and correct! And yet some would go straight up against him and the others, even when that predicted pattern was starting/happening!

Watch the models, state what you see, look at the patterns/data if you understand it,all questions,and just watch/wait till the day off storm!

Best way to learn and understand things.

I was not bullish at all until someone else posted a map that showed other levels of the atmosphere after my negative comment.

So, now I see a great look for March in that model.

Thats the joke. Jfc. You being a rain weenie and looking down at snow weenies is RIDICULOUS. You arent any better than the rest of us.

LOL

I never said I was better than anyone else, for starters.

Secondly, we're all weather weenies here, one way or another. Some admit it some don't. You either have it or you don't, and if you don't, you view our kind of people as crazy or strange.

I'm as big of a snow weenie as the next person when a big storm is on the table, but I don't think I need to repeat my preferences.

This particular sub-forum is packed to the gills with people that love snow that live in an area that up until recently wouldn't be considered favorable, and one day, things are going to go back to the way they were. And when that happens, this place is going to either blow up or shut down.

LOL

I never said I was better than anyone else, for starters.

Secondly, we're all weather weenies here, one way or another. Some admit it some don't. You either have it or you don't, and if you don't, you view our kind of people as crazy or strange.

I'm as big of a snow weenie as the next person when a big storm is on the table, but I don't think I need to repeat my preferences.

This particular sub-forum is packed to the gills with people that love snow that live in an area that up until recently wouldn't be considered favorable, and one day, things are going to go back to the way they were. And when that happens, this place is going to either blow up or shut down.

So I guess,global warming had no affect on what normal used to be? And that this is just a hiccup and everything will be the way you have come to know it by?

So I guess,global warming had no affect on what normal used to be? And that this is just a hiccup and everything will be the way you have come to know it by?

I'm sure if you look at long term records you will find times when the "coast" received more snow than usual over an extended period of time which ultimately inflated long term averages. 

There's a reason why NYC averages less snow than Boston and why DC averages less snow than NYC, but of course there are scenarios where that differs, and in some cases, where the differences can be extreme. See 09-10.

I'm sure if you look at long term records you will find times when the "coast" received more snow than usual over an extended period of time which ultimately inflated long term averages.

There's a reason why NYC averages less snow than Boston and why DC averages less snow than NYC, but of course there are scenarios where that differs, and in some cases, where the differences can be extreme. See 09-10.

Good answer lol I was interested to see your response.

I'm not quite sure how anyone can like plain rain. It's not like you can see it accumulate, most outdoor activities can't be done in it, people drive basin it, river and stream flooding caused property damage but to each their own I guess

Blizzards can cause people to become trapped in their vehicles, risking injury and or death. They can cause property damage through coastal flooding, strong winds which take down trees and knock out power and cause roof collapses. They can also lead to flooding down the road when the snow melt adds to the Spring rains. 

Archived