joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan. 22nd-23rd threat

buckeye

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was hoping this would be the storm I and my Texas weather friends dream about (18 inches of snow) Doesn't look like it's going to happen in Columbus. It hurts seeing it so close thought. Still hoping for that Nw Wobble.

22" is our record snowstorm here so you might have long wait for that 18 incher.    That being said, we tend to have our big dogs after mid Feb.   Our 3 top ones were in late Feb, March, and April.   

West shore Lake Michigan folks, how are we feeling about the LE? Models still hung on a band developing.

Looks ok for a short window on the GFS. Would wait until higher resolution models get within range.

Given these lake temps and -10°C 850mb levels, delta Ts would be around 15-16°C.

mswt-00.gif

This particular sounding looks good. No dry layer to speak of and stacked NE winds.

gfs_2016011912_072_42.5--87.75.png

LOT with delta T concerns

GUIDANCE HAS A SFC

RIDGE OVER THE UPPER MIDWEST AND A LOW LIFTING NORTHEAST THROUGH THE

TENN VALLEY. THE BY-PRODUCT OF THIS WILL BE A STRENGTHENING

NORTHEAST GRADIENT OVER LAKE MICHIGAN...WHICH CONTINUES TO POINT

TOWARDS THE POTENTIAL FOR LIGHT LAKE EFFECT SNOW DEVELOPING AND

MOVING INTO THE CHICAGO METRO/NORTHEAST IL AREAS DURING THE DAY FRI.

THE CHALLENGE MAY END UP BEING THAT THE LAKE SFC TO TEMPS ALOFT MAY

NOT BE LARGE ENOUGH TO ALLOW STRONGER LAKE BANDING.

Had the same thought after taking a quick glance. The airmass aloft just isn't that cold for this time of year. Maybe it'd be good if it was a couple months ago.

The NAM out this far just is not good. I know it shows what you want, but just don't buy it and set yourself up to be pleasantly surprised if other models trend towards it. I've made this mistake too many times myself.

Most of the guys commenting on the nam tonight are like myself, they have been following weather and models many years before the eta even became the nam.   But thanks for the heads up ;)

Archived