joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan. 22nd-23rd threat

buckeye

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You just have to kinda laugh at this point...

When I look at that it reminds me of the model output for PDII about 48 hrs out.  That was how far the snow shield was from us and then the dramatic shifts north over about 3 or 4 model runs.  

Of course that was 13 years ago.... I'm assuming the models have improved just a tad since then :lol: .   I don't think we'll ever see those kind of last minute crazy shifts anymore....  which kind of makes all of this lose some of it's fun.

When I look at that it reminds me of the model output for PDII about 48 hrs out.  That was how far the snow shield was from us and then the dramatic shifts north over about 3 or 4 model runs.  

Of course that was 13 years ago.... I'm assuming the models have improved just a tad since then :lol: .   I don't think we'll ever see those kind of last minute crazy shifts anymore....  which kind of makes all of this lose some of it's fun.

The only thing left for me to hang my hat on was the fact that the Euro Ens mean looked like the GFS and gave us about 3-5".  I'd take it and run, but unfortunately I think we see pretty much what we're seeing today.

When I look at that it reminds me of the model output for PDII about 48 hrs out. That was how far the snow shield was from us and then the dramatic shifts north over about 3 or 4 model runs.

Of course that was 13 years ago.... I'm assuming the models have improved just a tad since then . I don't think we'll ever see those kind of last minute crazy shifts anymore.... which kind of makes all of this lose some of it's fun.

Never say never. That's what makes weather fun :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Wow....we get screwed when in the bulls eye 2-4 days out.....and we get screwed on this one, yet the bulls eye hasn't budged for the MD/DE/VA folks. I guess it is that stupid little boy out in the eastern pacific....

And I agree with you Buckeye--- where have the days gone where you could count on those last minute surprises??

Looks like a dry layer is impeding the LES from developing too far. Probably end up being clouds with scattered lights snow showers. 

LOT has been all over it, lots working against LES, primarily the lack of a proper northern stream phase

18z another step in the wrong direction for historical blizzard

LOT has been all over it, lots working against LES, primarily the lack of a proper northern stream phase

18z another step in the wrong direction for historical blizzard

Sounds like more nickeling and diming.

THE GREATEST LAKE INDUCED INSTABILITY SHOULD BE DURG THE

DAYTIME HOURS ON FRIDAY WHEN INVERSION HEIGHTS WILL BE ARND 5KFT AND

SFC TO 850MB DELTA-T SHOULD BE ARND 13C UNDER NELY WINDS. WHILE THE

LONGER TERM GUIDANCE MAY LACK THE RESOLUTION OF THE SHORT TERM

GUIDANCE...THE GFS/ECMWF ALSO INDICATE A CONVERGENCE BAND OVER THE

SWRN PORTION OF LAKE MICHIGAN...FURTHER AIDING CONFIDENCE IN AT

LEAST SOME LAKE EFFECT SNOW ACCUMULATION. WEAK CONVERGENCE IS

EXPECTED TO CONTINUE INTO FRIDAY NIGHT...BUT THE FOCUS SHOULD SHIFT

A LITTLE NORTH INTO SERN WISCONSIN. ALSO...LOW LEVEL INVERSION

HEIGHTS AND INSTABILITY SHOULD DIMINISH THROUGH THE NIGHT...PER

LATEST MODEL SOUNDINGS...SO EXPECT THE LAKE EFFECT SNOW POTENTIAL TO

END BY SATURDAY MORNING. GIVEN WEAK FORCING AND MARGINAL LOW LEVEL

INSTABILITY ALONG WITH A PROGRESSIVE CONVERGENCE ZONE...SNOW

ACCUMULATIONS SHOULD BE LIGHT...GENERALLY UNDER AN INCH.

Well the Blizzard area looks to be shrinking. 

NAM is sure up there with totals. 36"

I live in the Louisville, KY suburbs and have been lurking since yesterday. 

Anyways, our local meteorologists mentioned a possibility and I'm wondering you alls thoughts as it would surely impact you. If the snow from today melts in Middle TN wouldn't that shift the storm north? Our meteorologist noted the historical tendency of storms such as this to take a track just south of the snow pack. What are your thoughts?

I live in the Louisville, KY suburbs and have been lurking since yesterday. 

Anyways, our local meteorologists mentioned a possibility and I'm wondering you alls thoughts as it would surely impact you. If the snow from today melts in Middle TN wouldn't that shift the storm north? Our meteorologist noted the historical tendency of storms such as this to take a track just south of the snow pack. What are your thoughts?

I think there's a pretty good possibility that the snow shield spreads further north than modeled. That happens quite often.

Wish for a 12z GGEM solution then.

I think there's a pretty good possibility that the snow shield spreads further north than modeled. That happens quite often.

Wish for a 12z GGEM solution then.

Yeah I think it isn't going to have as sharp of a gradient but it seems the NWS and the Met are both pretty confident in the low tracking north. NWS here is upping our totals despite the majority of the models now having us in the 0-3 inch area. 

There's one half of the SREF that has insane snow totals for Columbus (9 inch mean) and there's another half that is much lower with (.75 inch mean) I would rather see the lower one be higher and the higher one be lower but I won't complain.

Archived